Deathmatch: Intel Core i5 750 vs. Core i7 920

RadioActive

These benchmarks doesn't tell the whole story but still it should give a pretty good idea, enjoy 8)

Note: I picked the 920 because it has the same clock/cache as the 750.

2ugjw4h.gif

21dn9xh.png

Although the i5 isn't meant to compete with the i7 the results are pretty amazing especially considering the price difference, don't you think? :coolwink:

• Replies 38
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm surprised how similar they are.

Over here the price difference isn't that great, but seeing as I use laptops quite a bit, the power savings are significant.

Thanks for sharing

Almost 100€ difference here in Holland.. And they perform almost identical.. lol

Thnx for the post :)

• Administrator

Well, that makes me think more about i5.

Can someone tell me what exactly is a core speed? i5 is ahead than i7 in core speed. :think:

And what does hyper-threading really means?

Well, that makes me think more about i5.

Can someone tell me what exactly is a core speed? i5 is ahead than i7 in core speed. :think:

And what does hyper-threading really means?

The core speed (frequency) is basically what we measure the "speed" of the CPU, perhaps this article would give you a more detailed explanation, but generally higher frequency is considered better (faster).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate

Regarding Hyper-Threading, well, to put it simply, each core acts as if it were 2, so if the CPU has 4 cores (quad core) with HT it acts as if it has 8 cores (4 actual + 4 virtual), or something like that, again for more details check the following article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_threading

And in any case, if anyone thinking about getting an i7, DON'T! I believe i5 is much better (in terms of cost-to-benefit).

• Administrator

Thanx for the info. Well I still have 4 months to decide which one to get. :D

Thanx for the info. Well I still have 4 months to decide which one to get. :D

Same here, I might upgrade within 4~6 months, and so far i5 seems the only real choice.

• Administrator

Well here is the price here -

Rs. 16,045 for i7.

vs

Rs. 10,925 for i5.

BTW can a normal DDR3 RAM work with any of the above processors? Or only specified RAM work here? :unsure:

Well here is the price here -

Rs. 16,045 for i7.

vs

Rs. 10,925 for i5.

BTW can a normal DDR3 RAM work with any of the above processors? Or only specified RAM work here? :unsure:

ummm...yeah, there only specific RAM that would work with those processors and guess what? it's called DDR3 :P

Ok, PEOPLE LISTEN UP, something most tend to to forget, when you compare i7 vs i5 you MUST keep in mind the TOTAL cost of the system (CPU + MoBo + RAM) not just the price of the CPU, because the CPU vs CPU in price might not be THAT much but when you compare System vs. System only then you'll feel the difference :bruce:

• Administrator

Well to be honest, I have not found a mobo that supports i5 to look for it's price. Can you tell what is the price for a i5 mobo there in US$?

Well to be honest, I have not found a mobo that supports i5 to look for it's price. Can you tell what is the price for a i5 mobo there in US$?

Well, I believe the average price of a P55 (LGA 1156) MoBo is around 150$ or so. and don't forget that i5 is dual-channel unline i7 which is triple-channel, which means in i5 you'll only need 2 RAM chips instead of 3.

• Administrator

Well that $150 makes me feel it's very much affordable to me, the whole PC.

What chips are you talkin about? You mean the chips that are on the RAM?

• Administrator

To be honest. I have never ever considered to overclock my PC considering the risks. ANW thanx for the link. :)

Ok, PEOPLE LISTEN UP, something most tend to to forget, when you compare i7 vs i5 you MUST keep in mind the TOTAL cost of the system (CPU + MoBo + RAM) not just the price of the CPU, because the CPU vs CPU in price might not be THAT much but when you compare System vs. System only then you'll feel the difference :bruce:

+the decent PSU if ur taking a motherboard that requires 350+watts

Exactly..i have learned that :mellow:

Well that $150 makes me feel it's very much affordable to me, the whole PC.

What chips are you talkin about? You mean the chips that are on the RAM?

I mean the actual number (pieces) of RAM modules.

• 4 weeks later...
Infinite_Vision

Lohengrin,

I am thinking about building my own computer and after reading your article, I think I will go with the i5 even though it is dual-channel than Tri-channel Ram. This will be my first attempt at building a barebone computer because I want to create a mini studio in my room. I'm looking to build now because we will get a tax credit for buying a new computer this year. :)

• Administrator

Well I'm still confused. What is meant by dual-channel than Tri-channel RAM? :unsure:

triple channel is faster than dual chanell B),i will buy an i5 ;)

Wow, the i5 and the i7 shown here are so close in performance. Yet the i5 gives you 28% in power savings — great for notebook users.

Well I'm still confused. What is meant by dual-channel than Tri-channel RAM? :unsure:

triple channel is faster than dual chanell B),i will buy an i5 ;)

After all these tests you need to ask yourself: What the heck is that triple channel mode useful for anyway, when it is obvious that is doesn’t provide performance boost that is expected? Maybe in the future and with some new versions of memory controllers, triple channel mode will provide better performances so transition to this platform will make more sense. Until that moment triple channel mode will be just another nice sticker on LGA 1366 motherboards and memory packages. Of course memory manufacturers already have triple channel DDR3 kits that are intended to be used on Intel Core i7 platform. Since these are triple channel kits they have three DDR3 modules with total capacity of 3GB or 6GB. Since prices for DDR3 memory are still pretty high it is obvious who will profit the most from this situation where (uninformed) users will go for triple channel kits with intention to use up potentials of their new platform.

Source: http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Memory/Intel-Core-i7-Dual-Channel-vs.-Triple-Channel-Memory-Mode.html

wait for AMD to come with 8cpu or 12cpu qaud and sse5.........

Bulldozer is 2011. By that time Intel might have a new one, unless AMD Fusion or whatever new chip they have beats it.

Archived