How to delete....

shajt

I have trouble deleting some folders from Windows7 installation.

On primary C disk Windows7 is installed and I'm using that OS, it's also a boot disk.

On D disk there is Win7 64-bit installation and I can't delete it's folders (Documents and Settings, Program Files, Windows..) , I cant format that drive because I have 400gb of files I need. Tried 'Take Ownership' and that didnt worked, Unlocker can't do nothing about it too, so how can I delete those folders ?

• Replies 19
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You cannot delete them like that. First backup the whole data that is on D drive. Then format it.

Well I knew that but thought maybe there is some way to do it without formating, maybe from recovery console or something like that ?

Try MBAM it has a special tool to delete protected files (I did try it under Vista, but not with Windows7)

By the way, If you are using dual-boot (Windows7 32bit and Windows7 64bit) do not format D drive. You will not be able

to boot Windows7 32bit. 

Try this:

Take ownership (also of stuff 'inside'/'below' the folder), change the permissions of Administrator to 'All access'(or something of the like) and then try to delete it.

That is one of the problems, that D drive contains boot sector (first I was using that OS on D and that drive was active), then I've installed win7 on C drive and I dont need that 64-bit OS on D drive anymore, I can make C drive bootable allright and format D but it's a pain as I dont have free space anywhere to backup 400gb.

MBAM is working, thanks, but the trouble is it can only delete one file, not folders, maybe I dont see it but if I need to delete one file at the time it would take me ages to delete all :)

Can I select folder somehow ?

That is one of the problems, that D drive contains boot sector (first I was using that OS on D and that drive was active), then I've installed win7 on C drive and I dont need that 64-bit OS on D drive anymore, I can make C drive bootable allright and format D but it's a pain as I dont have free space anywhere to backup 400gb.

MBAM is working, thanks, but the trouble is it can only delete one file, not folders, maybe I dont see it but if I need to delete one file at the time it would take me ages to delete all :)

Can I select folder somehow ?

No, alas.

Did you try to delete the files inside a folder (so to empty it) before deleting the folder itself ? Sometimes it works.

Did you try to delete the files inside a folder (so to empty it) before deleting the folder itself ? Sometimes it works.

Yes, access denied. Only MBAM (File assassin) can delete it so far, too bad there is no option to select multi files.

"first I was using that OS on D and that drive was active"

Ok now I begin understanding. It was curious for me that you cannot delete these folders when the OS who owns them is inactive.

But with what you did on drive D and after that on drive C, Windows7 on drive C has also the ownership on the folders of the D drive.

Well to delete the folders, now you need to run another OS, so Windows7 32bit and Windows7 64bit will be inactive.

1- with an external media

2- by reinstalling windows7 (to kill the existing multi-boot). There is no harm here for your datas.

I was afraid of that, well...I'll try to do it with some LiveCD Linux.

@shought, tried what you said, didnt worked.

Thanks for replys guys.

• Administrator

Can a software called Unlocker work here?

Unlocker was the first thing to try, it was able to delete something but only small part. I would say that about 75% is still there (about 15gb)

I think you are better off trying the boot and delete from Live CD or even a BartPE CD..

@shajt

I agree with 'heath28m. But be ready when you delete "windows" folder in drive D there is a possibility that Windows7 will not boot.

So go smooth. Delete folder by folder and try to reboot Windows7. If a problem arise, then paste back the folder deleted (make a copy of it before deleting).

Cheers :)

OK, will do, I have this situation for a month now, so there is no rush, I'm gonna download BartPE (don't wonna mess with linux) and do this, but when .. I don't know, will report here results when it's done ^_^

Meanwhile I'm gonna try to google something about this, I mean if one utility can do this (one file at the time) I don't see why this can't be done automatically (to select all files in folder and execute same delete operation in batch or something for all that files)

Now there is another solution (it needs a screwdriver), If you are working with a desk PC.

unplug your HD and connect it to another PC (temporarily). You will be able to delete what ever you want.

I did that to repair an MBR.

I solved it, it's similiar to what shought said but here is the proper way :

Important thing is to Take Ownership of that folder, easy way to do that is via context menu if you have it there (there is a .reg file which enables that) or it can be done in fodler properties->security->advanced->Owner->edit (just select your username here)and click checkbox to replace all objects within folder.

Next is right click on folder and then Properties->Advanced->Change Permissions, here select Users, check Replace all...checkbox, click Edit, check Full Control and then Apply. That's it, now folder & files can be deleted ;)

I solved it, it's similiar to what shought said but here is the proper way :

Important thing is to Take Ownership of that folder, easy way to do that is via context menu if you have it there (there is a .reg file which enables that) or it can be done in fodler properties->security->advanced->Owner->edit (just select your username here)and click checkbox to replace all objects within folder.

Next is right click on folder and then Properties->Advanced->Change Permissions, here select Users, check Replace all...checkbox, click Edit, check Full Control and then Apply. That's it, now folder & files can be deleted  ;)

Good news.

Shought is a great man, we all know that. :P

The procedure you found will interest a lot of people (including me).

Thanks

Only leftovers from that Windows installation are Boot and Recovery directories and files from root as I need them right now to boot.

I think that Recovery dir can be deleted but don't wonna risk that at this point until I make C drive bootable.

What confuses me is Documents and Settings folder, that one I didn't delete because it's linked to Doc&Settings directory on C drive, hmmm.... :think:

Archived