Windows Live Messenger

Samurai

Ok everyone. This is in response to the main topic Windows Live Ideas.

msn85666gp.png

Windows Live Messenger is a beta version of MSN Messenger, part of Microsoft's new online service called Windows Live. Windows Live Messenger will reportedly introduce numerous new features and include all of the features from MSN Messenger. Windows Live Messenger 8 is available to Microsoft beta testers and users who have been registered through the Windows Live website.

New Features

Sharing Folders

The "sharing folder" feature of Windows Live Messenger is an alternative to the current "direct transfer" method of file distribution. When a user wants to deliver a file to another person on his or her contact list, the "sharing folder" window appears, which is an individualized representation of all previously shared items.

When files are added to the "sharing folder" for that particular person, the file will automatically be transferred to the corresponding computer when they are online. This means that the folder is literally "shared" between two computers. If a user deletes a file, for example, the file will also be deleted from the corresponding computer's shared folder.

To minimize risk of virus-infected transfers, the "sharing folder" feature is bundled with an anti-virus program. The "sharing folder" feature can only be used on computers with their hard disks formatted in NTFS format.

Communicating While Appearing Offline

With this new feature, one's status may be set to appear offline, however, unlike previous versions of MSN Messenger, one can continue to communicate whilst appearing offline. This is a useful feature for privacy issues.

Distribution

Currently, Windows Live Messenger is invitation-only. In a system similar to that of Gmail, when people are invited to Windows Live Messenger, they gain invitations to distribute. Invitations to beta test Live Messenger are also being sold on auction websites.

My invites have just risen to 29, but I'd obviously like to keep a few myself so I'm offering 20 invites to everyone here at Nsane Productions, with the majority going to Admin, Mods, Site Staff & ViP's should they wish to have one. Anyone wishing to donate, though non-obligatory will of course receive one (invites permitting) - Just PM me for details if you would like to do this. Simply state in this thread if you would like one, and I'll be in contact via PM should you get selected. Thanks.

INVITES LEFT: 16

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Currently, Windows Live Messenger is invitation-only

Only if you follow the rules... ;)

Appareantly the download server is down or something, can't manage to download it :)

If anyone hasn't received one, PM me with your MSN / Hotmail address.

I'd like to see your name on this thread first though, then PM me so I know who's got one at a glance.

Its been quoted elsewhere you can download and use it without the need for invites. Don't quote me(i had invites). Since its hosted on microsoft's servers, DL Link: http://g.msn.com/1csbeta/Mess80_EN

http://:www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Cha...ssenger-8.shtml

This a BETA version of Windows Live Messenger! ONLY beta testers can login using this version!

I haven't tried using it without an invite, maybe someone who hasn't got one yet can try it out for us :sneaky:

I have been a beta tester for about 2 to 2 and half months, seen a few changes during that time, which included an interface change, but it improved it imo, still have a few bugs here and there, but that is because of my activex settings in IE.

If you try it without the invite it signs you out auto.

Theres a program MSN P13 Downgrader or something and it allows you to sign in.. but it signs out if you block someone, unblock someone, or change your name(like 40% of the time.)

It'd be best to get an invite.. I found out I got mine by signing the beta list and they sent me an invitation. None of you guys sent it :P

EDIT: The Sign-up link was in the page Lite posted..

http://:www4.imagine-msn.com/minisites/mes...px?locale=en-us

If you try it without the invite it signs you out auto.

Theres a program MSN P13 Downgrader or something and it allows you to sign in.. but it signs out if you block someone, unblock someone, or change your name(like 40% of the time.)

It'd be best to get an invite.. I found out I got mine by signing the beta list and they sent me an invitation. None of you guys sent it :P

Thanks for letting us know ejams ;)

I would have given you an invite but I must of missed you :( Glad to see you got one though!

Archived