VirtualBox vs VMware Player vs Windows Virtual PC

LeetPirate

Sorry for my english !

I don't know how to say it... :dunno:

Maybe you could help me ...

Cheers

++

Relax mate, I was just kidding, but regardless, the proper way should be something like this:

"VMware Player 3 will be able to make virtual machines"

And again, don't worry about it, I didn't mean to tease you :)

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys don't forget about those 2 questions I still need answered. :lol:

If there isn't a way to copy and paste files into the VirtualBox OS how can I access the main drive from inside VBox?

Thanks.

Using Virtualbox i never managed to make the shared clipboard work. Anyway the Vmware player 3 are out. Is free and permit create VMs now. In Vmware shared clipboard and shared folders work out of the box if you install vmware tools in the guest system. Now i'm temporary using Virtualbox and i'm not liking it much.... i'm experiencing some High CPU usage.

"Should I enable nested paging under settings-> system-> acceleration?"

This option is intended to improve VM performance, but only available for K10 (Phenom) for AMD cpus (and i7 for Intel cpus).

Using Virtualbox i never managed to make the shared clipboard work. Anyway the Vmware player 3 are out. Is free and permit create VMs now. In Vmware shared clipboard and shared folders work out of the box if you install vmware tools in the guest system. Now i'm temporary using Virtualbox and i'm not liking it much.... i'm experiencing some High CPU usage.

"Should I enable nested paging under settings-> system-> acceleration?"

This option is intended to improve VM performance, but only available for K10 (Phenom) for AMD cpus (and i7 for Intel cpus).

Now that VMware player 3 can create VMs, can you compare it to workstation edition? The only thing I could see that stands out is that VMware workstation may support more OS and has the Tools, that's the impression I get from their website, I don't know for sure. I should probably try out VMware player 3. The clipboard only works for text etc, not copying files.

I'm on the site to download it and I see this:

• VMware Player can run Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10 and RHEL 5 at the same time in separate windows!
  • Easy Install makes creating virtual machines with the latest 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and Linux operating systems easier than installing them directly on your PC.
  • Run corporate virtual machines, test new operating systems and safely try new software in an isolated environment on your PC.
  • Built on over 10 years of virtualization excellence, VMware’s advanced virtualization platform can handle the most demanding applications.

Looking great so far.

Ahhhh screw it, I don't want to register on their site to download it, I will look for an alternate source and get it later.

Found another brief review of VMware player 3.

VirtualBox has always enjoyed one key advantage over VMWare: it's free. Sure, the VMWare Player is also free -- but all it can do is boot virtual machines which have been previously by another app.

Rather, that's all it could do until now. VMWare Player version 3 has hit the release candidate stage and is available for public download, and guess what? It's now got the ability to create virtual machines. That's pretty amazing news for virtualization hobbyists like myself.

Apart from the added VM creation chops, Player v3 also offers OpenGL support in guest machines, ALSA support on Linux guests, ThinPrint powered printing, Windows 7 support, and multiple monitor support.

And yes, it even supports Aero Glass in Vista and WIndows 7 just like its big brother.

Another great addition is the easy install wizard, which makes setting up popular operating systems on a new guest machine ridiculously easy. That is, when it works. The wizard should create a floppy configuration file which Ubuntu reads during the install process. When I tested with the Karmic Koala beta, though, Ubuntu's installer wouldn't recognize the floppy image and crapped out.

A regular install, on the other hand, worked just fine and completed in roughly the same amount of time as it took under VIrtualBox -- if not slightly less.

The download is free, weighs in at about 90Mb, and you'll need to have a registered account with VMWare to get access to the downloads.

Hi LeetPirate

The links at "Softpedia . com" are working. No need to create account. Sorry but now i cannot say for you the difference. I'm playing with Linux at this moment... and the Vmware player 3 is only for windows until now (i'm praying for a linux version be released). The link at softpedia have a good description too. I'm imagining that the difference is about the option to make a team (vmware settings to easy make Lan with VMs (not sure - never used it) and the possibilty to record what are you doing with the built in recorder.

Quoted from the description:

Share data between host computer and virtual machine:

· Copy text and files between the virtual machine and the host PC. Drag and drop files between a Windows host PC and a Windows virtual machine. Or, enable Shared Folders to seamlessly access data on your host computer.

You can move/copy/drag and drop files too. This is what i more like in Vmware - and used a lot - I make the download of various stuff with a sandboxed Browser and copy things direct from the Sandboxie container for the VM and execute there. No need to copy to the host and share the folder with the VM. This is great.

This make shared folders in some point unnecessary. Shared folders is good if you need share a great amount of data.

Take care

For Windows 7 Backup and Restore I`ll wait for next Ghost that will be ready by January 2010. Windows 7 Installation have to wait for now, because I prefer to see how M$ is going to react against all Loaders already done and then choose the best.

WinXP is OK and I am not in a hurry... :P

Archived