Windows Explorer has stopped working

RadioActive

I keep getting this damn error message A LOT on random occasions and situations, anybody know what could be the cause?

It pops up, then the windows-freakin-explorer completely freezes up for like 30 secs then it crashes, and restarts itself (windows explorer that is) and it works fine again. It's utterly irritating.

2hs0n75.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing with a detail link that says you crashed?

• Administrator

Well when it happened to me, on XP, it gave me some svchost error, that was only solved after doin a clean install.

But I would suggest to see if any program is responsible for it. You see what happens in safe mode. And do a scan of the PC. There are some trojans that are specailly made to trouble someone by killing/restarting explorer.exe

My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Application

Take note of the Event ID and the stop code, then search it on Google.

I'd scan your system for any possible malware if I were you ;)

Also do you remember installing any particular application before this started?

nothing with a detail link that says you crashed?

not really.

Well when it happened to me, on XP, it gave me some svchost error, that was only solved after doin a clean install.

But I would suggest to see if any program is responsible for it. You see what happens in safe mode. And do a scan of the PC. There are some trojans that are specailly made to trouble someone by killing/restarting explorer.exe

no can do, as I said it happens on random intervals/situation, I can't replicate it at will, trust, I tried.

My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Application

Take note of the Event ID and the stop code, then search it on Google.

Will keep that in mind, thanks.

I'd scan your system for any possible malware if I were you ;)

Also do you remember installing any particular application before this started?

malware? that's highly unlikely.

And no, I didn't install anything special nor do I remember when did it start happening.

Edit: after taking a look at the event viewer here what I think is the log of the error:

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771

Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe

Exception code: 0xc000041d

Fault offset: 0x0000000000015a0f

Faulting process id: 0x6d0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca53422c3efad2

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll

Report Id: 6da488c4-bf4d-11de-84d8-005056c00008

What GPU do you use? And do you have the latest drivers?

Also you can check this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Faults in explorer like this are often shell extensions or more rarely codecs, you can try using http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to remove them until the crash goes away.

And you can try sfc /scannow in cmd.. just to make sure your files are OK!

One of two things has happened.. You either have files in your WINDOWS or System32 folder that are not supposed to be there.. and/or they might have accompanying INI files.. They may not be picked up by even the best scanners..

I would try looking for new files that were created on or around the date this started..in those two folders.. and I would run SpyBot S&D to see what start up DLL files are in your system that should not be.. Then I would use that to trace down the issue if one exists..May also want to dump your recycle bin j.i.c... and then do a registry scan for any odd entries.. I would do this after removing the files.. if any are found to be unsigned with no description.. and oddly named..IF in fact its a program file a re-install will repair it if you damage it so no real worry..

There is more to this but I will wait till you ether get that far or something..( other things that can be done to trace it down.. )

EDIT: Its been my experience that this can happen when either a form of malware of some sort is either been blocked or the DLL is failing..It can also mean the same thing for legitimate applications which have either incorrect registry values..or has a corrupt file that is trying or attempting to interact with Explorer.exe or one of its parts..The last time this happened WinASO repaired it..simply by wiping it out.. and I also had optimized the system to dump DLL's from memory which were no longer in use.. along with ending hung applications automatically.. so some differences possibly...

I have noticed on shutdown that some of Rainmeter's plugins.. and several other programs of the sort cause an issue.. but its no biggie really.. it shouldn't be doing it while ts running and in use however .. even i your using the programs..

ur on win7 try sfc /scannow...it wll restore it to the orignal state

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys, I googled a lil and it seems many people have the same problem and nobody seems to know the exact reason because it differs from each situation.

In any case, I decided to do a fresh install and try to keep track if/when it starts happening and will keep you posted.

Thanks again guys.

• Administrator

Did you open the link I have posted?

You error log clearly says it a problem in this - msvcrt.dll

Let me quote the webpage for you.

msvcrt.dll

msvcrt.dll known as Microsoft C++ Runtime Library msvcrt, has the following information and may help up understand this process better.

msvcrt.dll (Microsoft C++ Runtime Library) - Details

The library file msvcrt.dll, contains program code used to run programs written using Microsoft Visual C++. Msvcrt.dll is required for programs written with Visual C++ to function correctly. You should not terminate or remove msvcrt.dll, unless it is causing problems for your system.

This is part of Microsoft Visual C++.

Yeah there can actually be things that cause that to crash DKT27.. so it still isn't quite so straight-forward.. Though we all do hope for that day..LOL

• Administrator

Yea I know that. But still if you know the file, which is causing the crash, properly, you would be able to take a step towards t stoppin it.

Even if I take your post into consideration. I'm just wondering, can just replacing msvcrt.dll with a valid/non-problematic msvcrt.dll help?

Does the Windows CD contain Microsoft C++ Runtime Library files? :think:

Well it can depend on the reason why the file is crashing to begin with.. If the file itself is corrupt for some reason..then yes..( If that is the definite and only cause ) If it is simply a bad registry entry from another file.. interacting with it.. which causes it to crash then it is not going to do a thing but replace the file..

The file can also be included with other applications..So it is very possible that this file can be outdated.. wrong version...corrupted or even a malicious file that could be doing other things..trying to chase that down could be a chore unless you know exactly what program s interacting or causing it.. at which point usually it can be fixed.. and there a couple of way to go about that..If this is the problem..

If in fact the registry entry causing the issue is in fact valid then, it can't be cleaned by scanning..So basically you have to re-install the Redistributable C++ versions on your system.., if you try to upgrade them it may not help because the programs you have installed depend specifically on the version to be installed in many cases.. Sony Sound Forge is a good example.. You may try to upgrade the package but after you do ( or uninstall and old one ) you have to run ts installer to call up and install the version it must have to run..This also will not help if a program is using its own version which is included with it...as mentioned above..

These packages are also updated through Microsoft Update when needed..

EDIT: About the CD thing. that I don't know but I do know that there have been and are in existence at least five different version of the DLL.. and the downloads are available through Microsoft Downloads.. I don't know what your CD or someone else's may have on it.. so its kind of hard to say what it includes or what versions even..EVEN if I knew that it did..

• Administrator

I know the first two paragraph, but I think he should try you/I have mention before doin a clean install.

ok, after the clean install I believe the cause of the problem is Daemon Tools Lite because it only appeared again just after I installed it and it seems DTLite isn't really compatible with Windows 7 and DTPro isn't exactly easy to "fix", so I either have to bear with it or find an alternative :(

Odd thing .. now that you mention it.. I had an issue with this too.. but its been a long time ago...There was only one thing different from Daemon Tools and regular virtual drives?

Odd thing .. now that you mention it.. I had an issue with this too.. but its been a long time ago...There was only one thing different from Daemon Tools and regular virtual drives?

AFAIK DT is the only one that can emulate certain types of protections, so some games can work without even a NO-CD/DVD fix.

• Administrator

Cmon you can go for PowerISO. And gamecopyworld.com for No CD/DVD fixes.

PowerISO fully supports Windows 7 as far as I know. If you want a serial for it, just ask me.

Cmon you can go for PowerISO. And gamecopyworld.com for No CD/DVD fixes.

PowerISO fully supports Windows 7 as far as I know. If you want a serial for it, just ask me.

Thanks, but I've always been a fan of UltraISO so I'm stick with it for now :)

Archived