seriously need help guys !

majithia23

allright ,

i came in front of this free software "mylockbox" at cnet.com

it creates a password protected folder and then locks and hides it , unless you enter the password.

now there are 3 user accounts in my C drive --Users

: M

:J

:K

"M" folder is my drive. containing all my data.

i installed "mylockbox" in ---- M \ downloads \ programs \ mylockbox and then ran it .

and it asked for a path to create a locked folder and i entered --- C \ Users \ M

thinking that it would create a locked folder in M ( that is C \ Usesr \ M \ mylockbox) but no ,,,,, it LOCKED M !!!!! AND HID IT . :footinmouth:

now i cannot access my account , coz when i click on my username in log on screen it , just creates a temporary profile !!!!!

Folder M is just not visible !!

i even tried it by logging in from other accounts but no , nothing. the software is not at all visible ...

ALL IT DISPLAYS IS C\USERS

:J

:K

:GUEST

M IS NOT AT ALL VISIBLE...

mylock box screwed and messed up ....

help me out please ,

now,,, how to revert back ?

i remember the password , but the software is just not visible .

where to have acces to it ????? :frusty:

i am accessing the net from old desktop now ...

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would make a new Admin account. Install the program again. Then undo.

Supremo Phantom

i am guessing here that you are using Vista as you are saying the profiles are in C:\Users.

if you correctly recall the exact path of the installation folder, there is a file there by the name "unins000.exe".

from the "administrator" login, from the run command, type the path upto that file and hit enter. it should call the uninstaller program.

e.g. if it was originally installed in c:\users\M\downloads\programs\My Lockbox

then type "c:\users\M\downloads\programs\My Lockbox\unins000.exe" in the run command from the administrator account. hopefully, if all goes well, it will prompt you for the password and uninstall the program.

Do share your results.

Good Luck!

Perhaps you should try UBCD (Ultimate Bood CD) it has some nice tools, you can create a new administrator account from it (if you can't login at all).

I would make a new Admin account. Install the program again. Then undo.

try booting in safemode.maybe the program process won't start.

i am guessing here that you are using Vista as you are saying the profiles are in C:\Users.

if you correctly recall the exact path of the installation folder, there is a file there by the name "unins000.exe".

from the "administrator" login, from the run command, type the path upto that file and hit enter. it should call the uninstaller program.

e.g. if it was originally installed in c:\users\M\downloads\programs\My Lockbox

then type "c:\users\M\downloads\programs\My Lockbox\unins000.exe" in the run command from the administrator account. hopefully, if all goes well, it will prompt you for the password and uninstall the program.

Do share your results.

Good Luck!

Perhaps you should try UBCD (Ultimate Bood CD) it has some nice tools, you can create a new administrator account from it (if you can't login at all).

thanks people for your help .

i just booted in safe mode and luckily the program did come up ,,that is ,,,it was displayed .

i ran it , but it said "mylockbox doesnt protect folder in safe mode" and closed.

so i just uninstalled it through control panel , and restarted the laptop.

thankfully i could now log in into "M" account and all the data being displayed but then suddenly a window opened tellin mbam encountered this problem ( i dont remember exactly , what the message was ) and could not run and then another notification reported that ,,,,,"windows has blocked this program from starting , click here to start ." it blocked iobit 360.

so i thought of running the system restore .with different restore points

but it failed almost 5 times,

then i entered the windows repair screen ( the one which comes up after pressing F8 on start up )

ran the system restore ,

again failed 2 times with error codes ---- the device is not ready 0x80070015

the system cannot find the path specified 0x80070003

wtf has happened ?

any help ????

Supremo Phantom

whats the current status? are you able to normally login into your own account. if yes, do you observe anything not working as before.

be specific on what is not working "now" after removing that software. you might require a lil clean up of left over files/registry/any other entries here and there.

yes i can log into my account .

and everything is workin ,.

i reinstalled 'mylockbox' (as i had uninstalled it in safe mode ) and then removed it with revo .

the thing is , now when i run system restore .

it is failing !!!

system restore doesnot run .

failed about 5 times in normal mode and then 2 times failed on windows repair screen (the screen after pressing F8 after powering on .) with the above 2 errors ..

why is system restore not working now ???

• Administrator

When exactly do you get this error?

And follow Supremo Phantom's advice.

Supremo Phantom

if everything is working fine, there should be no reason to revert back to an older state.

if your concern is just that it should work, try removing all old restore points, creat a fresh one, and then see if it allows you to revert back to this latest manually created restore point successfully or not. if yes, all is good for you.

then, maybe, it just that the existing restore point got a lil damaged bcoz of this software installation mess and profile getting hidden etc.

if a new restore point creation, and going back on it works, nothing to worry after that.

try it.

• Administrator

Note: system restore doesn't work if it doesn't have anything that it can restore or has ability to restore. This is what I came to know after reading lot of pages of a thread made on cnet forums.

Supremo Phantom

DKT27,

vista actually keeps flushing out old, system created, restore points from time to time.

the latest, available are listed when u attempt a restore to previous point.

if the files within that set get altered/damaged due to any reason, the restore will fail.

Hope this helps.

• Administrator

Well I have never used Vista but it seems the same in XP.

ok ,'

m switching off .

and goin to try a manual restore .

lets see ...

When exactly do you get this error?

And follow Supremo Phantom's advice.

if everything is working fine, there should be no reason to revert back to an older state.

if your concern is just that it should work, try removing all old restore points, creat a fresh one, and then see if it allows you to revert back to this latest manually created restore point successfully or not. if yes, all is good for you.

then, maybe, it just that the existing restore point got a lil damaged bcoz of this software installation mess and profile getting hidden etc.

if a new restore point creation, and going back on it works, nothing to worry after that.

try it.

Saw my post #9?

yes dkt , did see ur post

to which i replied ...." the error comes up when i run the system restore in advanced boot up screen .. everthing is running in my profile , but the system restore does not run ", .,,,,, to which supremo replied in post 10 .... but dont know . where did that post go ! :unsure:

( there is an option of ' recovery manager' in advanced boot , which has system restore tab in it .)

but the thing is ,,+1 to supremo phantom ...cheers dude .

i wonder , why dint this simple thing of manually creating a restore point struck me , when i was going to try 'repair windows' in advanced boot . :P

yes , the restore did run . all is well .

thanks.

P.S. stay away , from this stupid 'mylockbox' ,,( or unless you are sure of what to lock !)

it corrupted the entire previous restore points , iobit360 stopped working , mbam reported error in starting and hostsman reported error ( error was .." the application is being used by some other program !!!!)

:cheers: to nsane , forget customer support , when help is there when u want it , how u want it !!

• Administrator

Well I don't know how Vista's system restore works. ANW glad you got it solved.

I would say mylockbox would not be that bad if you know how to use it. Honestly, the way you described, even I doubted whether I would be able to understand it or not. :unsure:

Take my advice, first follow the whole read-me/manual provided with the software. ;)

:cheers: to nsane , forget customer support , when help is there when u want it , how u want it !!

Nice line. :)

Supremo Phantom

good for you majithia23, all set now. the software itself is good, i tested it as well... its like DKT27 said.. read all about how to use it, BEFORE you use it. biggrin.gif

• Administrator

Can you review the software in detail. :wub:

Well I don't know how Vista's system restore works. ANW glad you got it solved.

I would say mylockbox would not be that bad if you know how to use it. Honestly, the way you described, even I doubted whether I would be able to understand it or not. :unsure:

Take my advice, first follow the whole read-me/manual provided with the software. ;)

Nice line. :)

good for you majithia23, all set now. the software itself is good, i tested it as well... its like DKT27 said.. read all about how to use it, BEFORE you use it. biggrin.gif

Can you review the software in detail. :wub:

i ll give the detail review as to what i did , with the software and what it did !!!

may be tomorrow,

a bit busy today ... :)

allright ,

here is what i did .

ran the installer and gave the path ----C \ USERS \ M \ DOWNLOADS \ PROGRAMS , for installation.

clicked the finish button , and the program started .

a screen popped up asking for -- a password to be set to the private folder and with a hint question.

then it asked for a path to create the folder to which i gave C \ USERS \ M \ DOCUMENTS .

on pressing the ok , a folder named 'mylockbox' was created in documents.

a lock logo apperaed in the task bar , telling the folder was open .

right click it , and press lock and quit , and the folder is locked and made invisible.

sometime later , ran the program from desktop shortcut , .

decided to change the locked box , to which i clicked 'change my lock box folder' and gave the path C \ USERS \ M . thinking a new folder will be created in M ( that is C \ \USERS \ M \ MYLOCKBOX ) but it actually took "M" as the preferred choice of user for the locked box !!

this is were things got screwed .

and basically the softwares stopped working bcoz all my programs are installed in C \ USERS \ M \ DOWNLOADS \ PROGRAMS ! and not in C \ PROGRAM FILES .

hope i made it clear.

so my take is ,

mylockbox is a good one , the first time it will CREATE a lockbox but when you change the preferred choice it would LOCK THAT FOLDER AND NOT CREATE A NEW ONE !

so , create a private folder carefully selecting the path and yes remember the PASSWORD !! :)

• Administrator

Just for keeps. Well as I have mentioned a thousand times. Installin any software on the main partition will only make your drive slow.

Just for keeps. Well as I have mentioned a thousand times. Installin any software on the main partition will only make your drive slow.

+1 dkt .

but when i started with this laptop , the drive had just two partitions , the main drive and a back up drive .

so didnt go for a partition ,

thinkin of it now...

• Administrator

Well, if I remember properly, when my cousin bought a lappy, he was told not to mess with any of the partition(Not the normal nor the backup).

Well, if I remember properly, when my cousin bought a lappy, he was told not to mess with any of the partition(Not the normal nor the backup).

:lol: this is what the hp technician told me when i bought mine .( when i told him too , that i want it partitioned , )

he said ' sir , it would make the o.s. and the drive unstable as it is not the factory default . '

i told him ' wtf m paying for one full year of warranty. if it goes unstable , give me a new laptop ...' :lol:

he was .." m sorry sir , but this doesn t work this way !!!"

Archived