PHP 5.3.0 Time Zone Error Message

HX1

I just upgraded to PHP 5.3.0.. and the reason I had not in the past was because I was receiving this error message and still am:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for '-5.0/DST' instead

This is a copy from my phpbb3 installation.. I get something of this sort on all of them, and have read that this is actually fixable yet nobody elaborates on what the fix is.. Reason I am asking if anyone here knows what change I must make to the PHP 5.3.0 ( ini ) installation to repair the issue..

• Replies 4
  • Views 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never mind I found a way to fix the issue..

When installing PHP 5.3.0 'date.timezone = ' is commented out and does not ask for any input when installing.. Therefore causing the issue..so I finally found a small short answer to fixing it ..

Adding date.timezone = "America/Denver" in php.ini resolved the issue

This fixed the error for both Joomla's release at this point ( with an issued patch for testing 5.3.0 versions )in time and for phpbb3 forums as well ( which doesn't even show up until you get into a Topic.. )

I have an interesting situation with my setup.. I have PHP 5.3.0 installed for a Regular Apache installation ( which adds it to my system path ) and I use a simple WAMP installation to run both Joomla and phpbb3.. which also comes with PHP 5.3.0.. Problem is that it refers to the INI files in the system path rather than for the one in the WAMP conf..so I have to have them both correct so that the WAMP UI and controller will work properly, and that my installations will run..

Just for a little history.. in case anyone else runs into the issue along the way.. don't forget about that..

uh hhmm ..RESOLVED...LOL .. sorry.. :whistle: :dunno: :blush:

Try changing the date.timezone setting in php.ini to "America/Chicago" for debugging purposes. I think they used to spell the timezones with Americas instead of America.

Also you could try setting it to UTC by default: date_default_timezone_set("UTC");

Lastly make sure it is using the same php.ini you are editing :D, sometimes this happens. Do a phpinfo() to find out the location of php.ini being used.

I have a feeling this is just a bug with phpbb3, there is so much to be desired from the phpbb3 "upgrade".

Never mind I found a way to fix the issue..

When installing PHP 5.3.0 'date.timezone = ' is commented out and does not ask for any input when installing.. Therefore causing the issue..so I finally found a small short answer to fixing it ..

Adding date.timezone = "America/Denver" in php.ini resolved the issue

This fixed the error for both Joomla's release at this point ( with an issued patch for testing 5.3.0 versions )in time and for phpbb3 forums as well ( which doesn't even show up until you get into a Topic.. )

I have an interesting situation with my setup.. I have PHP 5.3.0 installed for a Regular Apache installation ( which adds it to my system path ) and I use a simple WAMP installation to run both Joomla and phpbb3.. which also comes with PHP 5.3.0.. Problem is that it refers to the INI files in the system path rather than for the one in the WAMP conf..so I have to have them both correct so that the WAMP UI and controller will work properly, and that my installations will run..

Just for a little history.. in case anyone else runs into the issue along the way.. don't forget about that..

uh hhmm ..RESOLVED...LOL .. sorry.. :whistle: :dunno: :blush:

I gave up on wamp for now, wamp does not seem to like win7 very much and websites on it have all sorts of problems like menus missing for no reason etc. LOL.

Also it seems you solved your problem in the 10 mins it took me to type a reply, guess I should learn to type faster, lol. I was multitasking though but glad you fixed it.

Yeah the GUI and controller for WAMP ..I THINK.. can be edited internally to work for Windows 7.. ( found out all the goodies from when I modded my menu.. also helpful to rid the program relying on old versions of PHP and so on.. so you can clean up some space ).. But yeah I believe the controller was coded way back in the days of NT.. definitely still has the look.. but its pretty old...

LOL.. I had posted and couldn't find the answer then I went to the page where they posted the patch for Joomla..and on down in the comment there it was.. The phpbb3 forums mentioned it but it was ' Oh you know thats easy to fix..' and that was it .. I was like .. whaaa.. but it seems to be in the way that 5.3.0 installs.. knowing my luck they will release the beta in the next five minutes to full release and I will have to do it all over again..LOL

I think I need to switch the font .. do a little more but looks massively better IMO..

EDIT: Oh yeah .. if you install it you may want to install at 'C:\wamp'.. instead of in the program files directory..with Plone and several others that are cross platform.. they are created on Linux systems.. which means spaces in the file names, directory locations, ( especially root ) and underlying directory locations have to be in a certain place from the start of the file system in order for the program/server to be able to find its files.. You run in to this when doing compiling in many cases.. or try to port things over for Windows from Linux based builds as well..( if I am not mistaken ).. and you can see why because it would be pretty hard to really rewrite the entire behavior.. and be able to truly be cross-platform..

Someone correct me if I am wrong..

In WAMP's case however I believe this could have been accomplished.. but it could very well be a limitation of the installer.. though they try to leave it open as an option

Archived