Performance showdown: Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard

karachidude

Performance showdown: Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard

2qcnzf4.jpg

As someone who uses both platforms for work and personal entertainment, I've been wanting to do a performance comparison between Windows 7 and Mac OS X since I first got my hands on the Windows 7 RTM (the final build of the OS) more than two months ago, but decided to wait until I could compare the two apples to apples. (No pun intended.)

The right time seems to be now, as Snow Leopard has been out for a while and has even been updated to 10.6.1, and Windows 7 has been at the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) vendors for almost three months and has also had a few updates. Furthermore, Boot Camp 3.0 seemed to make Windows run better than ever on a Mac.

Just to clarify, Boot Camp is not a virtual environment but simply a bundle of native Windows drivers--software that makes the OS work properly with hardware components. These drivers include chipset, video, networking, and so on. As a matter of fact, you can get most of these drivers from the components' manufacturers (or via Windows update). However, Boot Camp also contains drivers for Apple's proprietary hardware including the iSight Webcam, keyboard backlight, and multitouch mouse pad, and therefore it's best to get this bundle instead of looking for drivers individually.

For the sake of transparency (I know a lot of you feel passionately about one operating system or the other), I will disclose how I conducted my testing so you can duplicate it if you want. There's no rocket science involved here; all you need is a good stopwatch, a MacBook Pro, and a lot of time.

More in here

K'dude

• Replies 12
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pfft.. Itunes Encoding -.-

Offcource Mac's are better at that.. It was made for the Mac, then came @ the pc.. :P

• Administrator

Do you know how many security problems is Snow Leopard havin? As far as I remember, they have still not made any fixes for it.

• Administrator

Worst test ever.

For a start Win7 is running on BootCamp (effectively a virtual machine), Applications are optimized for the OS that the test shows its the best.

@DKT, SnowLeopard doesn't need any malware - it has its own "features" to destroy your system ;) (Google for what i mean). That said, there is no evidence that a MacOS is more secure than Windows. The only thing that is known is that Windows is more targetted (owing to its large market share).

• Administrator

@Lite: You are 100% right.

Hey dude, you copied the article from my favorite site. :lol:

@Lite: You are 100% right.

Hey dude, you copied the article from my favorite site. :lol:

its not only ur favourite site :P

This is how I think about computer.

1. Hardware: I don't like proprietary hardware. I want flexibility. I want, and I want.

2. Cost $$$: I don't have money to waste.

3. Purpose of my computer: I want to do everything with my computer now and in the future.

4. OS: I'm going to be fair with Apple and use the same criteria people use when comparing Iphone and Pre. I use the OS with the most applications.

5. Support: Apple is easier to support because of limitations in the combination of hardware/software.

Which OS is better? (That's #4 on my list.) At this point, it is beyond OS.

As far as security is concerned, people say Apple is better. That is almost the same as saying North Korea is the strongest country on Earth because no body dare to attack it. US is the weakest because it is at war.

The last thing that I want to say is that, people with more money buy PC and people with less money buy Apple. Just check their wallets afterward.

In my book Windows always wins hands-down not because it's "better" but because it's the most flexible OS out there, you can do pretty much anything.

I mean lets face it, everybody uses a computer at home, and gaming IS a major usage for A LOT of people whether they are casual or hardcore gamers, and that's why I love Windows because I can use it for my work (developer) and for entertainment in free time, and I'm pretty sure that no other OS can achieve that, at least not at the same level of flexibility and variety.

And let's not forget the ease-of-use, hell, my nephew was using his PC and figured out how to browse his drive and run his games since he was 9 years old! lol

I'm not saying that MacOS sucks, but I don't think you can compare any of the three major OS (Windows, MacOS, and Linux) they all have their pros and cons and each serves its purpose, just because they're all "apples" doesn't mean they're all the same, it's like comparing a red apple to a yellow apple to a green apple, they are all apples but each has its own unique taste and color, just my 2 cents :D

Here is a simple and most complete comparison between Apple OS and Windows.

Buy any Apple computer with the OS (no choice). Using the same amount of $$$ you spent to buy the Apple computer, you go and buy the fastest/best PC hardware with that same $$$ including the Windows OS. Now do the test. Money should be the lowest common denominator when comparing product features in computers. Let's keep it simple and logical and basic and smart.

• 5 months later...

Worst test ever.

For a start Win7 is running on BootCamp (effectively a virtual machine), Applications are optimized for the OS that the test shows its the best.

@DKT, SnowLeopard doesn't need any malware - it has its own "features" to destroy your system ;) (Google for what i mean). That said, there is no evidence that a MacOS is more secure than Windows. The only thing that is known is that Windows is more targetted (owing to its large market share).

Quote below is from the source.

Just to clarify, Boot Camp is not a virtual environment but simply a bundle of native Windows drivers--software that makes the OS work properly with hardware components. These drivers include chipset, video, networking, and so on. As a matter of fact, you can get most of these drivers from the components' manufacturers (or via Windows update). However, Boot Camp also contains drivers for Apple's proprietary hardware including the iSight Webcam, keyboard backlight, and multitouch mouse pad, and therefore it's best to get this bundle instead of looking for drivers individually.

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31012_7-10319612-10355804.html

So it seems Snow Leopard is indeed genuinely quicker in these tests. Although, I wouldn't trust Apple in optimising their drivers for Windows 7 in Boot Camp!

Archived