MAC Address problem

sanjoa

Hi, guys! How you doin'? Today I've been working with a friend because after installing WinXP SP3 it started with problems and he cleared the CMOS. After that it got a message saying that MAC Address is invalid at CMOS and Flash. The mother is an ASROCK 68-S. No solution found at Google.

• Replies 19
  • Views 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you just installed why don't you just re-install.. and why would you start messing with that area un-necessarily? Should only be done in an emergency or 'have-to' situation or with specific instruction for a specific fix..

• Administrator

When do you get this "MAC Address is invalid at CMOS and Flash" message?

What do you mean by "cleared the CMOS"?

You can use a small file to do it.. or you can jump two terminals on the board.. knocks out your passwords and settings..Did you try to remove the battery and wait for five minutes then put it back in and restart?

• Administrator

Yea I know the battery thing. I want him to specify the method he used.

So why don't you download and try some of the tools.. they should come with some read me files that may help.. I mean at this point you really can't do a whole lot of damage to it.. especially using basic tools for it to restore it to its proper state.. if this doesn't work then go from there.. I think the tuner might be a good bet ..

EDIT: did you upgrade or change anything?

• Administrator

I feel he has updated he's BIOS. If you have done somethin similar to it, goin back to the previos state would be the best solution.

BTW can you open "ipconfig /all" in DOS or any other way and see what does the MAC address say?

I have an old MSI MB with Award Bios. If i flash from DOS using awdflash i have to add parameter

/nvmac:XXXXXXXXXXXX, where XXXX is MAC address, else my nVidia NIC doesn't wotk, MAC is all 0's.

Maybe same with your Bios.

Thats what I found that with some of the mobo's from that company when upgrading anything.. or changing it that it can screw up the MAC..and there are tools for the rest of them..I was assuming that the tool would be in one of those provided by the company.. as the one I did find was a tuner for the board which had an additional MAC fixer..I don't think its as bad as it may seem..

i know that the MAC address is unique for every NIC and it sticks with the NIC forever.so why the BIOS updates mess with something like that?.also what kind of problems that pushed you into clearing the CMOS?.clearing the CMOS can help if you messed up the BIOS settings yourself.

• Administrator

MAC address is does not stick forever. You can easily change it(the MAC address).

Clearing CMOS get's BIOS to safe default settings. It shouldn't create any problems.

@Jose: If you somehow manage to start a OS, there are many ways you can change the MAC address.

Well odd thing here is that most BIOS settings pages give the option to return everything to default anyway...and personally I would only clear the CMOS manually if there was absolutely no other way to retrieve a BIOS password..and if your implemented Drive Lock.. then your just screwed..LOL..

• Administrator

If you are talkin about the drive lock that some laptops offer. You are right, my friend had locked his laptop that way and totally forgot the pass. He had a real hard time. God knows that he was able to retrieve his data or not.

Archived