Network problem

AshTheGamer

Hello everyone :),

I couldn't fine Network Talk or whatever so I posted this here, Mods please move if you feel needed.

I have tried sharing files and printers on my home network, I have done this before and it has worked...

I went to Create new network filled in the settings made a setup disc and ran it on the other PC and the neither PC's come up in My network places or anything.

Please help.

- Ash.

• Replies 14
  • Views 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to check your other systems settings manually for sharing.. and make sure that all related services are running or enabled.. You may also need to reboot them.. and make sure your router firewall lets it through.. Rebooting being the last thing you do.. so it starts up .. Same would be true for any protection/software firewalls..Also if you have LUA or SRP in place, with HIPS, HIDS, or even NIPS..would be good to check to see if its in place...

Several things can effect these things..Also are they all the same OS?

Mentioning here that Printer Sharing is also best when the Printer is installed on the network and is connected through the router.. wireless connections work and so on..and try not to AdHock the connections as this will open your system ( IMO ) to a vulnerability or create an access point of your system with NAT..

Yes but settings in the Firewall and options enabled/disabled for the connection can still block it.. so needs to be checked..you won't always get a notification for these things..

Well yeah I guess you could try.. i going to make your system vulnerable for a bit.. and if it has altered a system setting then disbaling the protection may not make any difference better just check the settings first..if you can't find anything then try disabling..if that doesn't work consult your OS and Network Service/settings..

Well I disabled Both Firewalls

My main PC runs KasperSky 2010

The other 2009 I disabled them both on my main PC the other pc did show up though I could not access it.

I went to the other pc and my main pc did not show up.

If you get me O.o

This means that you still have some network settings to address for each system..and that you may also need to Share your folders..I would test some things on my system but all of this area has been disabled on mine..This would also indicate that settings need to be addressed in Kapersky as well.. so I would turn everything back n a get the two AV/Firewalls and settings configured to where you can see them both on each, like it is now, and then you need to address the networking issues..and settings n the OSes..

OKay Kapersky settings need to be fixed or the network will not work properly .. when its on it blocks everything even the ability to see the other system..Therefore.. you need to turn it back on.. and address Kapersky settings to where you can see each other..

THEN, go about the settings/services enabled and being used by each system. If not you will be working blindly with the settings which will cause you a lot of pain and time in dealing with..and NEVER get it right..

So look at it as layers.. When you open a door .. some doors have screens you must open before you actually open the door.. in this case.. you already know the second door is there somewhat.. but you have to figure out how to get through the screen first.. then you ca get the door which is already open.. If not your operating two systems completely unprotected.. and open to several vulnerabilities which is usafe..

Its a good time to learn about networking.. because it can be one of the most trying of things to learn and you will be using it your whole life..( starting to sound like your teacher.. or counselor..LOL

EDIT: There can be several areas to address to get this to work.. so we take that a step at a time..

Also an alternative would be to install the printer connected via USB or RJ45 on the router.. where all system can use it via UPnP.. or Network Device.. and then you can setup a less invasive.. file server.. even something like TVersity..which will even connect to PS3's and so on for DNLA3 support..which would be able to be accessed by any system which can use an IP address..or a browser.. media player..anything using a URL

But what exact setting do I edit in Kaspersky as there are so many. A Picture or Video tutorial would be great if not just text,

This I don't know as I have never used Kapersky.. So you could do a search online.. or wait until someone else answers.. My advice would be for you to go through all of them and familiarize yourself with your protection software..in which you can search for various things online and get definitions and better understanding of them better and more efficiently than I can do sitting here typing answers to questions on all of them..LOL.. Something I kind of feel you should have done or should do anyway.. especially before you open your system up to sharing files or allowing access to items..or any kind...

In that effect, you should be able to find and know what settings and areas or categories you have to choose from and why they are such..This can help yo later on as you expand your usage of your computer.. for other things.

Done it, I had a quick Google and what do you know. Thanks for your help anyway!

Would be great if you posted your solution and possibly the link to the page you saw it, for the benefit of someone else who may experience your similar issue in future.

Thanks.

Sure uhhhh here:

File and print sharing are a convenient feature in Windows XP but have some security issues. Strong measures such as firewalls are key to the safety of a network. However, if not configured properly, such software can actually block access to file and print sharing. Most vendors provide documentation which explains the correct way to set this. Kaspersky Internet Security is a very strong application which can be configured to protect each computer but also allow access to file and print sharing at the same time. It also has built-in anti-virus, pop-up blocker and a large database of virus definitions which it uses to detect threats and other intrusions. It actively protects im such a way that it prevents infections before they can install themselves. It is effective in restricting unauthorized connections to shares from over the Internet without blocking them from legitimate machines inside the LAN. The best part is that Kaspersky comes with a 3-user license allowing it to be installed on up to 3 computers at once, perfect for protecting a small LAN.

Here are the step-by-step instructions to configure Kaspersky to allow file and print sharing:

1. Open Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0

2. Click the 'Settings' button. This opens the main settings window.

3. In the menu on the left, click the black box to the left of where it says 'Protection' to expand the list of options beneath it (if it is not already expanded).

4. Click 'Firewall'. This opens the firewall options.

5. Under 'Filtration System', click the 'Settings...' button. This opens another settings window.

Note: Be careful, there are two of these buttons on the same screen under different categories. Make sure to click the one towards the top.

6. Click the 'Zones' tab.

7. Highlight the zone for your network adapter by clicking it once. You can find the correct zone by scrolling to the right and looking under the 'Description' column. If it lists the name of an ethernet card as the descirption then that is the one.

Note: If you have two adapters, for instance one wireless and one ethernet, you will need to do this to whichever one is used for sharing. Both adapters can be set for this as well, if needed.

8. Under 'Rule decscription (click underline parameters to edit):' find where it says 'Zone Status: Internet'. The word 'Internet' is in blue letters with an underline. Click it twice so it changes to "Local Network".

Note: Do not use the 'Trusted' setting. It is very insecure.

9. Click 'OK'.

10. Click 'OK' on the previous Window.

11. Close Kaspersky. Do not worry, this does not close the entire program. It will still be running and guarding the PC.

12. Do this to all PCs which will be used to share files and/or printers.

Archived