MICROSOFT UPDATE ISSUE

HX1

I need to verify.. after struggling with this for several hours ... If anyone else is able to connect to Microsoft Update using IE8. And if in fact when trying to do either Express or Custom Update.. if you get the Error Code : 0x8002802B.. which should be listed all the way to the right.. which isn't listed in the list of error codes..

ESS is able to get the list of needed updates and notify me that I need to do them when I boot.. yet I can't get them because of this error.. and yes I am on a valid OEM installation of Windows XP SP3, before anyone asks..

I have also tried Microsoft FixIt! resolution found in the Windows Update Forums..

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to verify.. after struggling with this for several hours ... If anyone else is able to connect to Microsoft Update using IE8. And if in fact when trying to do either Express or Custom Update.. if you get the Error Code : 0x8002802B.. which should be listed all the way to the right.. which isn't listed in the list of error codes..

ESS is able to get the list of needed updates and notify me that I need to do them when I boot.. yet I can't get them because of this error.. and yes I am on a valid OEM installation of Windows XP SP3, before anyone asks..

I have also tried Microsoft FixIt! resolution found in the Windows Update Forums..

Just tried it and had no problems on ie8.

Okay well I am using Microsoft Support so I should hear something within the next 24 hours.

Somehow.. if its an install or something that I did it has to be related to SQL Writer.. and another one that I un-installed. thinking they were in there when I was trying to use MS SQL Server, or get t going.. so I don't know.. plus my head is swimming with all of the redundant C++ redistributable packs

• Administrator

Well I haven't tried IE yet but I have selected to show me the available updates and then download and install it in automatic, but when I select the updates, it doesn't download them, and it's not listing some important updates that ESET is telling me, this is happening from last two days.

Try every solution in this list. :P The first result had to following solution:

I have resolved some of these by deleting the C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional folder.

Scott

Well as many of you have offered the past two solutions.. as you could probably assume .. I have most definitely searched the WWW.. Neither of these two pertain to my problem.

@DKT27- This is exactly what is happening to me...odd..I even re-installed a bunch of crap I have to uninstall.. and I have slowly been data mining the current updates to get a few that might be related ( including re-installation of .NET Framework 1.1.

One question.. have you installed any programs or made any changes to anything in that time period.. IF I can find something in common I might be able to identify it.. sometimes program installations can interfere with things/change them.. reason I am asking

• Administrator

Nah haven't installed anythin to related when I posted in the last post. Now I have upgraded my XP to SP3 today and by mistake I checked turn on auto updates during the installation thinkin that it will offer other settings like ask me before downloadin in the next screen(page). But no it didn't and as soon as I started my profile, the the windows update started downloadin updates. During the shutdown I saw that it downloaded 25 updates. :o . But yea I installed the updates successfully, but automatically.

Well I made sure I had all .NET Framework installs up to 4.0 Beta 1..( the rest being only top level and current.. 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1, 4 Extended Beta 1, and 4.0 Client Profile Beta 1 ) .. Then Update Star had kept notifying me that I had updates for several of the C++ Libraries..( which is what started my problem ).. I had tried to upgrade those and did.. and it also said I had some others BUT to make a long story short I had un-installed 1.1, then I re-installed no success.. Then it stated there was an update for 3.5.. so I went to Microsoft Downloads and grabbed it.. ( though it was already installed ) and did a 'Repair of Installation' install.. at the end it stated and recommended that I go check for updates.. but I had left it and when I came back it had downloaded all of the updates and they were ready.. I installed so far then it stated I needed to reboot which I did.. I tried through the browser.. to no effect.. and then it stated I had more updates..one for 1.1.. so I just installed that and I am about to reboot again..BUT I am now at least getting those..

Also there should be an option in your Control Panel for Automatic Updates that should let you choose what yo want it to do.. ( and you are waaayy overdue for the SP3 upgrade .. like a year..)

Odd thing is that the only information I find about the error code is that it has something to do with VisualBasic C++..

Whats weird-er is that I think my recent installation of Update Star has something to do with it.. because of the C++ Redistributable that was installed with it..

• Administrator

I got the Update Star license but I haven't downloaded it yet. If you ask me, it's the problem in your case.

As far as SP3 and Windows update is concerned, I was never gonna use/download them both. But there are reasons. First when I when I got a VLK for the first time in my life, as I was not knowin that VLK exits, I thought what's the use of VLK if I don't download updates? That's the reason I have started downloadin updates. Note: Many times keepin Automatic Updates on can create a svchost error, and it will not go until you do a fresh install, but that error can be stopped by disabling Automatic Updates from services.msc.

For SP3, it's just a try out. I thought that I'm gonna get Windows 7 sooner or later, so why not make my current XP experience better. But I was wrong, after upgrading to SP3, my PC has slowed down drastically. I know it's odd but it's true.

Well you will probably have to re-optimize your system... My was faster after the upgrade...but it was like a fresh installation.. so some adjustment had to be done.. I still am not familiar with the term 'VLK'.. so I have no idea what your talking about..I keep my updates on and I have never had an error.. except when it came to cleaning crap and un-necessary installs out of my system.. and started playing around with Redistributable Libraries and .NET installations..My error comes back to an error on the creation side of things....

I think I may try a few things.. still waiting on a response to the support ticket..

• Administrator

By VLK I mean Volume License Key. I had no idea before I read about it here on the forums.

Well for svchost error I was wrong, I had to do a fresh install, few years ago, because of this error and now I find that there is a fix for it. :o . I'm talkin about this error - http://www.pchell.com/support/svchosterror.shtml

I didn't understand how I can re-optimize everything, upgrade to SP3 doesn't delete any files, it just installs some fixes and more.

Right, new settings, new registry..New SERVICES..annd most importantly a few changes or considerations to making it run smoothly.. So there are some things you can do to optimize it a little...WinASO is what I used to change some of the aspects of it.. I had done this for the previous SP1 and SP2.. except for SP3 it seems to work correctly..

Still no dice after the reboot to getting custom updates through the browser.. Something is not wrong.. but I have yet to try the 2005 C++ Redistributable ATL update uninstall.. I remember this form before..one of these will interfere I think I just have to find it..and there isn't any documentation of it..

@Kotaxor - Ran it but it looks alike a command line based tool.. not too much about how to use it either..

@DKT27 - RESOLVED!!! - when I went to look at your fix for the svchost.exe error.. for some reason .. not thinking I went through and re-registered all of the DLL files associated with Windows Update.. one at a time.. and the very next try with IE8.. after also re-registering the actxprxy.dll for IE8.. worked..!!

• Administrator

Well I will try WinASO. To be honest it's just sitting here on my PC doin nothin as last time I used it, I was a bit confused about it.

ANW I will try WinASO again and I will also try Auslogics Boostspeed. Last time I tried it, it worked wonders for me.

The main thing for me was getting those services under control.. with WinASO.. the optimizing I did all of them, except speeding IE page loading because I have IE7Pro..but it has some good things in it.. I can startup and shut down in around 5-15 seconds.. which is nice.. and startup time is not that bad either.. two 'loading' animated scrolls and its there..Good for the registry but you may want to watch it as I think my issue has come from choosing Aggressive on my clean settings.. good once in a while but this time I think it may have caused an issue..MAYBE .. I am not for sure on that..

Now .. I get to go do some un-installs and some cleaning..again....I swear.. I wound up with an additional five or so programs from MS.. including Visual Studio 2008 Express, and SQL Server 2008.. :P

• Administrator

@heath: Did re-registering Windows Update files helped?

Yep.. It seems that the combination of downloading .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Patch Registration Cleaner, and using the re-registration of the accompanying DLL files.. ( ran the 3.5 SP1 as a 'Repair', ran PRC twice because I couldn't tell it was doing anything [still don't know if it did or not], . then CMD Prompt for the DLL's ) fixed all of the issues.. I am all up to date now..and it all works as it should.. also Microsoft Update doesn't tell me to turn on my Updates anymore.. it now detects that it is on..:thumbsup:

• Administrator

Good. Just today I was gonna post a page that had same issue solved. But I lost it (the page). It's good that you solved it. :D

Archived