Trendnet TEW-432BRP firmware update failed

manpe

Hi

I tried updating my 432BRP firmware. I downloaded version 3.10.B13 and did everything according to the upgrading guide. It recognized the firmware, started updating and when it was supposed to finish and restart the router, it just didn't connect anymore.

So now I am trying to install the router all over again, but when it starts "restarting the network", it seems that it just freezes.. it shouldn't take that long for it to do it. And even the warning on the firmware download page says "**** This firmware does not work with EasyGo CD installations"

So I am in a bit of a trouble here at the moment... any ideas how to solve this and get the router back up working again? :(

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 17
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reset the router by holding down the little idented reset button somewhere on the box until all the lights go out.

Then set it up again from scratch by logging in at the address shown in the manual. You don't need an internet connection at this point, you set that up later. You just need a connection to the router by network cable

Try that..

BTW, did you upgrade with this tut: http://trendnet.com/support/kb/kbp_viewquestion.asp?ToDo=view&questId=651&catId=481 ?

Reset the router by holding down the little idented reset button somewhere on the box until all the lights go out.

Then set it up again from scratch by logging in at the address shown in the manual. You don't need an internet connection at this point, you set that up later. You just need a connection to the router by network cable

Try that..

BTW, did you upgrade with this tut: http://trendnet.com/support/kb/kbp_viewquestion.asp?ToDo=view&questId=651&catId=481 ?

Yes... it even counted the 30 seconds, and when it hit 0, it refreshed and gave me back "no connection" message.

Okay I pressed the reset button. I don't know if it actually did anything or not.. the lights didn't go out. And I couldn't connect to 192.168.10.1 , 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.11.1

Have you tried http://192.168.1.254 ?

May also try X.X.X.100-199 range..

You may also need to run a Repair of your Network Connections as well.. Sometimes this can change settings.. and your network configuration IP/Network addresses may change..

Alos you may want to look here.. since there are differences.. too make sure.. similar to Linksys systems.. same models different Firmware .. slightly difference but can be the difference between bricking your router and getting the upgrade done..

Have you tried http://192.168.1.254 ?

May also try X.X.X.100-199 range..

You may also need to run a Repair of your Network Connections as well.. Sometimes this can change settings.. and your network configuration IP/Network addresses may change..

Alos you may want to look here.. since there are differences.. too make sure.. similar to Linksys systems.. same models different Firmware .. slightly difference but can be the difference between bricking your router and getting the upgrade done..

I may want to look where?

I tried 192.168.1.254 ... didn't work. I also tried doing network diagnostics, but it couldn't resolve the issue.

http://www.trendnet.com/langen/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=955&SUBMIT=Go

There..LOL.. forgot the link.. Each one of these are different.. and unfortunately your router is no longer available and has been discontinued.. so its safe to say it would be time to be leery of upgrades and updates.. If there is not possible way to connect to your router..try the reset 'hole' on the back both as mentioned while it is on and while the power cable has been completely disconnected..Next would be to appeal to the forums for the company to see if there is a solution to flash/repair your router when it has been 'bricked'..

IF you have an available USB connection on this outer and a typical printer USB cable you should also try connecting that way to see if you can.. There may been software you may have to install either from the CD ( which is usually used for most routers when this happens.. ) or from the website..

EDIT: You know I am not for sure with Windows 7 .. but you may try creating a new connection to the network/router or even a system restart.. Like I was mentioning before about it changing settings.. it may have something to do with the settings Windows 7 was using for the connection.. if something changed.. it may not be connecting or able to with the same settings..

@SokraT - I already tried that... doesn't seem to help. I'm not even sure it resetted anything.

@Heath - what do you mean with that link? I chose the right model (D1.0R) and they provided me with 2 possible firmwares... I chose the one updated in 9/2009 of course.

Talking about resetting... Must I do it when it has no power? I tried it both ways... I held the reset button down for 30 seconds with power on and for 30 seconds with power off.

Well.. I think with some you can do it both ways.. doesn't hurt to try. So you did..What I meant by that link was to make sure that yo have the correct one for your system.. If you don't you brick it..Then .. depending on what kind of setup the thing has .. you either have to address it with a setup CD, or with a tool that may be available so that you can reflash/install the firmware..

Have you checked to make sure your network connection is not configured to 'Obtain Address Automatically'...

This is taken right out of the manual..

EDIT: Useless image removed

Also I noticed that the one you chose states it is actually for version 1.2, not 1.0.. https://www.trendnet.com/asp/download_manager/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=1357

I would also say this would the companies fault since they have improperly labeled it and misguided customers to the wrong one by not having it posted alone as it is at the link I show above..instead it is listed under 1.0/1.1.. Yet if you click the link just under the Firmware instructions.. it shows to be specifically for 1.2

Never use the cd to install a router if you plan to get it working. The first thing you should do is configure your pc to use a static IP on the same subnet as your router default address.

So why not set your PC like this:

• IP address = 192.168.10.10
  • subnet address = 255.255.255.0
  • default gateway = leave blank
  • primary dns = leave blank
  • secondary dns = leave blank

Configure your network adapter in device manager, enable a setting called "Shutdown Wake-on-LAN". you need this enabled else the card will never turn on fast enough to have a chance of success in the next step.

Connect the router in question directly to the lan port, unplug other cables from it except the power. Download this TFTP tool.

Open a command prompt, (click start, run, type "cmd" and press enter or) find it on the start menu.

Type the following command and press enter:

ping 192.168.10.1 -t -w 2

While that is running, load up the TFTP tool and get it ready but do NOT click the upgrade button as yet. Set the server IP to 192.168.10.1, leave password blank, select the firmware file which is "TEW432BRP_D1.2R_FW3.10B13_nml.bin" in your case.

While all this is happening you don't care what is the result of the ping command, just leave it running and watch it.

Unplug the router power cable and hold the reset button then plug back the power cable while holding the reset button down for 30 seconds. as soon as you release the reset button keep looking at the ping results, when you see the TTL value change to 100ms you hit the upgrade button on the TFTP tool. It should say upgrade successful, do not power off the router until about 3 mins after because even though the tool says successful the router has only now began flashing.

If that does not work try it again this time don't press or hold reset button, just power cycle the router and wait to click upgrade when the TTL jumps to 100ms on the ping results.

If that does not work well it means you are screwed.

Determine your router version from here.

@Heath and Leet: your methods didn't work. I followed Leet's guide letter by letter and still seems that the reset button isn't working... no reaction whatsoever. And Heath, it was a good point by you about the firmware being for D1.2.. I will be making enquiries about that. I'm still waiting for Trendnet's support answer to me.

Is there anything else left to try out? Maybe some magic tool which would click "fix", "done" :D... I hope :(

Is there anything else left to try out? Maybe some magic tool which would click "fix", "done" :D... I hope :(

Only thing left to do is to leave it in the path of a rolling truck tyre. :lol:

It seems that you would be able to connect to the router if you enable the UPnP on your network.. and it was connected regardless of having a signal.. and that you would be able to connect..However when I found an online representation of a router of yours.. It didn't seem to have any settings for it..It would be worth a try though..But you know if that doesn't work..I would say that there would have to be a tool available form th manufacturer.. out you may run into a few issues with that.. I was working on a home network once that was using a Linksys, and they have defunct firmware.. the router was still working but not very well.. So I had to appeal to the forums and use a tool to flash the device from system..( kind of like flashing your BIOS ) which they don't recommend. but when I was done it was fixed..SO hopefully there will be a solution like that for you.. OR you will have to go out and get you a new router..

Archived