ESET vs Kaspersky

Senbonzakura

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about your opinions about ESET and Kaspersky.

Wich one do you think it's better?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it true that the online scanner from Kaspersky is better than the online scanner from ESET? (in detection)

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used both. I used NOD32/ESS for years... I was very satisfied with it (light, efficient). But then I decided to go over to security suites (antivirus + firewall) because I got a router and a firewall with it... so I didn't need an extra firewall software. But at one point I discovered that ESET Smart Security's firewall was interrupting me in certain things, it couldn't open ports correctly and stuff like that. And in general ESET's ratings have dropped: their detection and cleaning rate have gone down. But ESET is very compatible with other protection software, whilst I've heard that Kaspersky has issues with it.

I am currently using Kaspersky for Windows Workstation. I used Kaspersky earlier in my life also, long before ESET. And before Kaspersky Workstation I used Internet Security (KIS) which was efficient and high-tech, but it scanned slowly. I sometimes had to wait a long time before it was done scanning an exe file which I opened. Workstation is lighter and doesn't take so long.

In conclusion I would suggest Kaspersky's Internet Security over ESET Smart Security, because it has much much better firewall (confirmed by some trustworthy tests) and some other good functions (HIPS). Of antiviruses I would suggest NOD32 over KAV, because it's more configurable and lighter... in terms of detection rate, they're pretty much both up there equally.

But I will say this, Kaspersky and ESET are imho the best antivirus companies out there. They're popular among their users and reliable. They are being closely tracked by Symantec with their new product, but they had a low point which shows it's not very stable.

Hello.

KIS is more efficient than ESS.

KAV is more efficient than ENA (ESET NOD32 AntiVirus).

ESS is lighter than KIS.

ENA (ESET NOD32 AntiVirus) is lighter than KAV.

Just choose lightness or security...

Thanks for the answers! :D Have voted your post in this topic up. ^_^

But what about the following question?

Is it true that the online scanner from Kaspersky is better than the online scanner from ESET? (in detection)

Because someone said to me that the online scanner from Kaspersky is better then the online scanner from ESET... (in detection)

vote for eset.. :P lightweight and u won't get any viruses if you have also brains.exe running.. :D

for anyone a bit computer newbie i'd rather install kaspersky, to protect the computer from the user itself..

it's usually the user that differs, if one has basic knowledge, eset'll do.. with some ppl. u'll have to install for them something heavy with heuristics running real-time, otherwise they'll download the pc full of spyware..

Looking at various tests(like av-comparatives):

ESET AV have a good heuristic that produces few FPs. KAV have (until now) a heuristic not good as EAV BUT have a proactive defense module that help. For resources usage i not see great difference. EAV advantage is : more compatible with others security softwares.

In the Internet security (not talking about the firewall module) I think KIS is better than ESS (if you know how deal with HIPS) because you can set the HIPS module to act like a anti-executable, so even if something come with a drive by or anything like that and KAV not have signatures for it, even passing detection it cannot execute... with this you beat alot of infections (like most rogues) without problems. KIS have a sandboxie too that can prevent damages.

Anyway this type of question always lead more for answer based in personal experience. You need choose what work better for you... and that you have knowledge to use.... KIS with all this stuff can be a piece of shit in the hands of anyone without some tech knowledge (or with laziness to search in google) for example.

• Administrator

In AV only ESET is light and great. If you want full security in one program KIS seems to be good.

vote for eset.. :P lightweight and u won't get any viruses

You won't get viruses because it does not detect them and I know what I am speaking because I have used ESET for years but when I changed to Kaspersky everything is perfect.

Kaspersky is much better tan ESET.

vote for eset.. :P lightweight and u won't get any viruses

You won't get viruses because it does not detect them and I know what I am speaking because I have used ESET for years but when I changed to Kaspersky everything is perfect.

Kaspersky is much better tan ESET.

you quoted out the most important part:

lightweight and u won't get any viruses if you have also brains.exe running.. :D

In my personal experience Kaspersky

I also have a brilliant hack and quite a few work arounds for it,other than the Box fix ^_^

• Administrator

Good one HATE9X. The quoted part didn't catch my eye on the first post.

Well I think everyone should make sure they give an opinion but not make this a war between ESET and Kaspersky. All we have to do is fight against viruses and trojans not fight between anti-viruses.

The best answer would be: each to his own ;)

Let's not force our opinions onto others, shall we?

There's no point arguing which is the best.

[insert word here] is in the eye of the beholder.

The best answer would be: each to his own ;)

Let's not force our opinions onto others, shall we?

There's no point arguing which is the best.

[insert word here] is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally, you speaks!

There be no end to such idiotic comparison of AV.

In my personal experience Kaspersky

I also have a brilliant hack and quite a few work arounds for it,other than the Box fix ^_^

I also have my own fix for Kaspersky it is totally different from BOXs fix.

@Spootnack

lol...one involves getting a beta key every month by tweaking a little for 3-4 minutes,other is the German solution,u wll have to visit a official web after every three months and get a new key ^_^ .

Wont post them here,though i know they work great,but i m on NAV and havnt tested them.I can PM if u want to try out.

cheers

AFAIK both are just as good, but I think that Kaspersky can sometimes be more accurate while more annoying and vice versa for NOD32.

Lolz... There were no best AV out there.... Only the best of overall out there.... The link i posted are the test of popular AV. The overall lightweight 1st rank goes to Norton & on demand detection 1st rank goes to G Data 2nd goes to Norton. For Kaspersky, I also a fans, I using Kaspersky 2009 last time & is doing a good job, after the new version of Kaspersky 2010, seem their detection rate drop to 2nd level on the on-demand detection test. Please trust the test result on black & white better than guessing here.

My opinion:

Guys, we choose AV program to protect our system without slowing down it, & not to protect the BRAND that we like. :D

The test is out, trust your eyes, trust the professional AV test website, but not trust our own feelings.. Face the truth.. :P

Here are the link again;

capturedf.jpg

capturefi.jpg

@gigax and spootnack

if the hcks work let me know,i wll put them on the forum.

K'dude

Archived