CPU Emulation?

RadioActive

We all know about Virtual Machines and their use and they're excellent for testing out different situations but what I'm curious about is there a way for a VM to emulate a CPU?

Lemme explain further, sometimes I might need to test the effect of certain applications on older machines and even though I can cripple the VM by limiting its RAM it's still gonna use my CPU (PII X4 940BE) which defies the purpose, so I was wondering if you can limit the CPU as well (ex: use only 1 core and 900Mhz...or something like that).

I haven't seen anything like that (yet), anybody if there is? or is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

~Lohengrin

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virtual Machine 2007 by default use only one core of the CPU...i think we can limit how much of the core core it can use...i m trying to find a how to..

Virtual Machine 2007 by default use only one core of the CPU...i think we can limit how much of the core core it can use...i m trying to find a how to..

Yeah I know, but I'm talking about taking it even further by limiting the frequency/speed, cache, or even the instructions set.

Archived