Tor Browser 8.0 arrives with new user onboarding, improved bridge fetching, and better language support

steven36

The Tor Project today released Tor Browser 8.0 with a new user onboarding experience, an updated landing page, additional language support, and new behaviors for bridge fetching, displaying a circuit, and visiting .onion sites. You can download the latest version from the project page and the distribution directory.

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/7bc1893e3eeae438a3ea37fe3ce57c55/tor_logo.png

Tor offers anonymous communication by directing internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer network consisting of more than 7,000 relays. The goal is to conceal users’ location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis.

The Tor Browser, which automatically starts Tor background processes and routes traffic through the Tor network, is built on top of Mozilla’s Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), a version designed for schools, universities, businesses, and others who need help with mass deployments. Firefox ESR releases are maintained for one year. In addition to the Tor proxy, Tor Browser includes the TorButton, TorLauncher, NoScript, and HTTPS Everywhere Firefox extensions.

The 8.0 release brings Tor Browser up to date with Firefox 60 ESR. It also fixes “long-term Tor Browser issues you’ve told us about.” First up is the new onboarding experience, which is designed to better explain the unique aspects of Tor Browser.

aFHvNWb.gif

Next, there is a new bridge configuration flow when you when you launch Tor. For users where Tor is blocked, the Tor Browser previously offered a handful of bridges in the browser to bypass censorship, but required sending an email or visiting a website to receive additional bridges. Now all you have to do is solve a captcha in Tor Launcher to get a bridge IP, hopefully allowing more people to bypass censorship and browse the internet freely and privately.

As for language support, Tor Browser 8.0 adds resources or nine previously unsupported languages: Catalan, Irish, Indonesian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish, Hebrew, Swedish, and Traditional Chinese.

Tor Browser 8.0 also includes Tor 0.3.3.9 with OpenSSL 1.0.2p and Libevent 2.1.8, the pure WebExtension version of NoScript (version 10.1.9.1), and 64-bit builds for Windows users. For those who want all the details, check out the full changelog.

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mclaren85 said:

Shall we trust now?

You sure dont want to use outdated versions of tor  for anything other than a proxy always best to keep it updated so any leaks they find is patched . Back when i 1st started  using tor there was no official  Tor browser.  There were a few browsers out that came preconfigured with tor . One was based on Firefox  and the other was based on the old Oprea not the chorme version they do now . They was no ESR  back then you just downloaded vidalia bundle and tor button and set it up in Firefox  some used foxy proxy to set it up lol.

53 minutes ago, Soze said:

I'm older, used privoxy w/tor. 

No point in logging on without it up to date, good looking out.D

vidalia bundle came with privoxy then in 2010 it switch  to Polipo , I guess it was around 2007 when i 1st messed with tor one time back then the forum i posted on was having DNS issues and it was only way i could get on it at times it was like a ghost ship for awhile but i used it after that  to update the Ad-muncher Poland key they use to be serval tuts on how to do it here .

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/using-tor-with-polipo-v-privoxy.271146/

I still use it when I go on reddit  Tor Browser + VPN., TPB  or when i find it useful to get around things. on reddit  a sub  ban me for freedom of speech because i jumped on a member for monetizing off the sub   for 30 days so i deleted all my comments with a user script and deleted the account and logged in with another throwaway account i have. You have to watch them people on that site many of them are getting kick backs for  recommending services to you some even work for the services  and will downgrade others to make a sell..  lol

I4rg£8all8ag
21 hours ago, steven36 said:

You sure dont want to use outdated versions of tor  for anything other than a proxy always best to keep it updated so any leaks they find is patched . Back when i 1st started  using tor there was no official  Tor browser.  There were a few browsers out that came preconfigured with tor . One was based on Firefox  and the other was based on the old Oprea not the chorme version they do now . They was no ESR  back then you just downloaded vidalia bundle and tor button and set it up in Firefox  some used foxy proxy to set it up lol.

Arrrrrr the good old days ???

Archived