SpeedyFox

jofre

Make Firefox work faster with Speedy Fox. A great tool of just 329 Kbs and Freeware.

No kidding but this is the first time I had seen an optmizer delivering what it is saying 100%. I had been maintaing the same firefox profile for more than 2 year and the major problem which I faced with Firefox was initial loading time was like 3 minutes with huge disk activity.

I did not wanted to recreate profile etc so I kept it the way it was acting but to a surprise I found Speedy Fox reducing Firefox initial loading time to 30 seconds which was more than 3 minutes before.

What does Speedy Fox do ? In short Firefox uses a database to store every settings, addons etc. Now as time flies this database becomes bigger and more unmanaged. SpeedyFox optimizes it and compacts without loosing any data you had. This is similar to why we do defragmentation with our harddisk.

Speed up Firefox

It is easy to use Speedy Fox and you can optimize any profile you want. It would select default profile initially but if you would like to point to another just browse. And yes this is portable application, so just carry it along. Download SpeedyFox ( WIndows ),here:-

Go to Post Nr.55 - latest version 1.4

Cheers

Jofre

• Replies 59
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice app if it works.. i've been using the same profile since... 1.5 or earlier.. but mine ain't slow.. :P

if it speeds up, nice.. i'll report.. if i remember :D

There is another small application, called :- " FirefoxPreloader v.1.0.366 " ---» just 840 Kb.

If you feel SpeedyFox isn`t enough, may also use this one. I have both installed and Firefox runs full speed ahead :-

FireFox Preloader 1.0.366, here :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download .... Hotfile.com

Sharecode ................ /links/14287840/9022b48/Firefox_Preloader_1.0.366.rar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don`t forget to feedback ! ( Unless you have a bad memory...)

Cheers

Jofre

Thanks jofre! This sounds really interesting..

But i will wait for others to make a feedback..

Cheers!

Tuck

Cheers!

Tuck

hmm, ur avatar = my pic.. :ph34r:

Ok, i just try SpeedyFox on my pretty old firefox profile, and it really make a big difference.

Thank's Jofre for posting this useful apps here.

I didn't try the preloader, because on my PC, if i let Firefox open a few hours, it have a memory leak, and can take 500-600 megs after half a day, and i fear that the preloader will do the same.

Well, Firefox is and always been a memory hog in my experience, that being said, SpeedyFox does speed up it's start-up time but other than that I didn't much difference.

Cheers!

Tuck

Wow! Do we look alike or what?

right. sorry my bad mate. changing it..

Edit:

And so i've tried it! Made my Secureit image show faster so im impressed!

GOod find, jofre!

Cheers, :cheers:

Tuck

Cheers!

Tuck

Wow! Do we look alike or what?

right. sorry my bad mate. changing it..

not that big deal rly since it's all around web like many pics, just felt it was ripped 'cos it was exactly the same size even, maybe it wasn't.. ;)

with that said, let's take a pic together then:

ka1r2o.gif :P

bout the app:

about 1 meg smaller (profile folder), couldn't recognize difference in speed really.. for me ff always loads in like.. 2 secs maybe.. at least it's now optimized.. i guess.

I had an odd experience the other day....

I installed three ad-ons.. JetPack, Ubiquity, and 0_jquery.. after doing so.. I lost two load errors ( null() )and gained one.. in the error console.. My Blackout test button disappeared which had to do with the new error..

BUT.. my startup time of Firefox... went to nothing flat.. when I clicked it opened..thought that was odd..but I had to get rid of 0 jquery.. because while it seemed to fix something..it also broke a few things..

However back on topic.. I have been using an extension called 'Vacuum Places Improved 1' which does much of the same thing .. I did notice a little speed improvement when I first ran the extension.. and after two restarts of FF after using the 'SpeedyFox' startup time does seem to be decreased.. that is warm and cold startup.. The first one is actually a cold startup after you use the program because the files are not the same.. the second one is warm.. I am one of those people who install the updates over the previous install .. instead of doing a fresh one each time.. so this kind of helped...Definitely will add this one to my archive of FF and accompanying resources..

I do however recommend downloading from the Homepage because the file hosting service above wants you to register an account to download..

The Preloader program has been around for quite a while.. haven't really tried any new versions of it.. May give t a run.. what I would really like is the next version to update and get the startup time back in order..

SacredCultivator

Interesting... I try to keep my Extensions to a minimal as I know the more you have, generlaly can cause FF to slow down.

And having checked out that extension, "Vacuum Places Improved", seems kind of interseting, as I don'tw ant to 'install' a new program...

Well the SpeedyFox really is more encompassing and takes care of all of the sqlite files.. and it doesn't install.. kind of like a portable..

• Administrator

Well sqlite is the one of the main concern for me. I will try it.

SacredCultivator

Since there is no installation needed, I might as well give it a go.

• Administrator

OK. I tried SpeedyFox(I don't know why jofre has hosted it as it can be downloaded directly).

So it increased my FF's startup speed a bit. It seemed to speed the surfing a bit. As there are lot of things a program can do that we are not known of. I will keep my review about this app till here.

About Preloader. I had used it more then a year ago. It s*cked. It started on my tray bar and did nothin to speed up my FF. But instead took a lot of RAM and CPU.

Sounds like my previous experience with it...BUT .. you know I haven't tried the new one.. LOL I almost scared too.. I had malware disguised as this thing for both IE and FF.. :unsure: but I may check it out when I have more time..

Wow! SpeedyFox works. Another great recommendation by Jofre. Thanks!

• Administrator

@heath: I feel that Preloader is it-self a malware. :P

• Administrator

:tooth:

Well I really believe in non-violence but this time I feel we should go and give a nice map of our shoes on the face of he person who developed Preloader. Well if not the latest version then the old version is worth of that.

@jofre

Thanks for Speedyfox, tested.....not much difference though!

As for Preloader, nah.....don't like firefox.exe to be running all the time with the preloader.exe ( ie 2 additional process) when I am not using firefox.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Well, I have SpeedyFox and Preloader installed and Firefox 3.5.3 starts always in 0.5 seconds. But, with just SpeedyFox it takes 2 seconds.

That`s the way I like it ! ... :dance2:

Archived