phpBB2 | phpBB3 | punBB | Invision | SMF | invisionfree

LoKz

phpBB2 | phpBB3 | punBB | Invision | SMF | invisionfree

What would be a good Forum?... example: similar to NsaneDown just an example Free Forums like invisionfree. :P

What do you all know about free forums?...

shought<--- Thank you :rockon: you know why lol

• Replies 17
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This was the question I was gonna ask.

I am lookin for a forum board. So what is the best of them all. I would consider security the most important factor.

Are pirated boards safe to use if you download them from a source you trust? Does free boards like phpBB3 give enough security?

I have heard a lot about vbulletin bein the safest of all. Is it true?

Expert opinions would be appreciated. Even Leet, Lite and Lee are welcomed if they can answer it. ;)

Well I have looked around..I have installed a few different packages, I am currently working on a phpbBB3 forum now, but I also have an embedded Nabble forum and Blog ( you plug in your custom CSS, and put it in a page you create and your done .. the page can be anything ) which was the easiest to integrate.. I was up and running in a matter of minutes..I use this in conjunction with a Hub that consist of several other main portals...Users have to get a Nabble account which is quick and painless... but I can span such a wide scope of servers and origination points that its worth it..Plus they all have to match..

phpBB3 seems like a better choice..lots of options and it seems to be safe as long as you keep various files read-only..I have not used it in a larger setting and I am learning but out of the absolutely free choices I found.. standalone or otherwise.. I feel its the better choice..right now I have been attempting to work on several skins to find the right base platform to work from to properly integrate it into the site style..( proving to be a lot of work...( but that could just be me ) I installed to a pre-existing setup with SQL and PHP in about 2 minutes.. I was setup and ready to go...Good moderation and administration tools.. some add-ons available..

I have seen several forums made from SMF that look quite nice.. and are quite functional..I would give it a run but I haven't gotten to SMF yet..

IPB.. I have used for years and been through several formats as a user... I really like the newest version 3..IF it was free I would probably have one myself...Found an awesome skin called Cethin the other day..

Invision Free I actually don't really like all that well..as a user..

Anyway.. just my opinion.. Think phpBB3 is a solid solution..

• Administrator

Good to know your opinion. Well I had done some tests on phpbb3(don't ask how) and it seems it great. It's more secure than phpbb2.

• Administrator

Of the free forums PHPBB (v3+) and SMF (use V2) are perhaps the most "complete" and well supported.

From our previous discussions, I agree with heath28m that phpBB3 is a solid solution... but... if you desire to spend more time actually using your forum instead of trying to configure it and install mods etc then stay very very far from phpBB altogether. Sometimes the smallest of mods on phpBB requires core code changes which is pretty annoying at times especially if coding php is not your favourite thing in the world. A simple mod on phpBB to resize photos could be a pain in the rear. I also do not think phpBB3 even supports RSS feeds which is kinda lame if you ask me, most people don't use it but it comes in handy if you want to pull feeds from the forum to put on another website.

SMF v2 is way easier to use and has more features out of the box than phpBB3. The admin control panel is also easier to navigate and use.

vBulletin is just a paid solution, does not make it any better than the free ones in terms of security or bugs. Paying for a forum software does not mean you pay for any exceptional or exclusive features, what you really pay for is the support and service contract.

If you want a comparison of the forums then use ForumMatrix to compare them all.

Personally I found myself liking myBB because it is light, fast, powerful, secure, and I could customise the hell out of it to make it do what I want. The admin panel has built in tools that allows you to change the code so making your changes are easy. The way they wrote their code is also easier to understand and follow through for people like me who have little programming skills.

That is good link there Leet.. glad you posted it!...Yeah you know I never noticed I didn't have that on my forum ( RSS ) but.. I believe there is a mod for it..this should be fun.. anyway..

phpBB 3+ from the free solution...

@Leet - the link you gave seems to be outdated. It shows that phpbb 3.0.1 is the latest stable version, when in fact 3.0.5 is.

• Administrator

Thanx for the info Leet.

Can you tell somethin about IP.Board? As compared to others. I saw it on the paper and comparison but I would like to see user/Admin reviews on it.

What about P/rated boards. I know many people wont answer it but is it an option at all?

Thanx for the info Leet.

Can you tell somethin about IP.Board? As compared to others. I saw it on the paper and comparison but I would like to see user/Admin reviews on it.

What about P/rated boards. I know many people wont answer it but is it an option at all?

As I implied before, using a paid forum will not give you any special exclusive features other than a support contract. You have nothing to gain by using a pirated forum software, why bother when you can get the same features on the free ones?

There is a free version of IP board but I am unaware of the differences between paid and free IP Board. Why bother anyway, better to use a full version of a free forum. Plus if you use a pirated forum, your enemies can report you and if the company cares enough, they will contact your host and you will be penalised in whatever way is written in your hosting agreement.

• Administrator

Good for the additional info. ;)

So can anyone suggest a free hosting service that is good for forums. I mean forums have many pages. Is there any free host that offer many pages?

• Administrator

You can just get some free hosting from somewhere like http://www.000webhost.com/ and use that. Its not difficult to install a forum software yourself.

IP.Board for nsane.forums was a worthwhile investment, however for smaller forums the cost probably isn't a worthwhile outlay.

Lets put it this way...the misconception that you would actually be able to do something of this nature.. with most.. is incorrect..

The reason being is that you could very easily open yourself up to losing and distributing members personal information to others...and large number of problems that may come from code injection.. and other vulnerabilities ... So what I would say regardless.. is it is probably not a good idea..to use a pirated version.. I mean it would be easy to modify the base files to do various things if you knew what you were doing...

I run mine out of my system.. for my own intuitive purposes.. not a lot of load.. but for personal use and in the event that it would be needed..IF your just looking for a quick easy way.. to learn certain things I would suggest going about it that way..There are quite a few free domain servers... which should be the only thing you need along with a server side updater.. you may have to do a few more things to be able to hit it from the outside.. especially depends on your network setup ...

• Administrator

Thanx Lite. But what about subdomains? Does it means I can only have 5 more pages?

Wiki:

The Domain Name System (DNS) has a tree structure or hierarchy, with each node on the tree being a domain name. A subdomain is a domain that is part of a larger domain, the only domain that isn't also a subdomain is the root domain.[1] For example, "mail.example.com" and "calendar.example.com" are subdomains of the "example.com" domain, which in turn is a subdomain of the "com" top-level domain (TLD).

A "subdomain" expresses relative dependence, not absolute dependence: for example, wikipedia.org comprises a subdomain of the org domain, and en.wikipedia.org comprises a subdomain of the domain wikipedia.org. In theory, this subdivision can go down to 127 levels deep, and each DNS label can contain up to 63 characters, as long as the whole domain name does not exceed a total length of 255 characters. But in practice some domain registries have shorter limits than that.

Thank you all on the amazing information :) Get Free .Co.CC and .CC.CC Domain name No Ads Co.CC supports for CNAME, A, MX, NS records! <--- Good place for free Domain. i would like to know how to upload skins/themes to invisionfree or if only other forums support upload of new skins/themes on ftp. and by the way @Lite that was a good idea on hosting a forum with 000webhosting i thought about that one. i just need to see what forum would be a good one...

• Administrator

Thanx for the site LoKz. :D

Archived