Will 1080p Movies work well on a 4K TV

nsan3

2 minutes ago, Rekkio said:

I really like OLED screens, the black pixels (~000000) aren't powered on:

If you go for it you won't notice the black borders in a dark room & even in daylight, because they'll not emit any light.

And if you do notice them, they won't be annoying ones like with traditional display tech.

Any suggestions for a good 55" OLED TV ??

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Any suggestions for a good 55" OLED TV ??

I don't have experience dealing with 4K hardware, but I know the competition gets their OLED screens from Samsung (LG and other companies):

I would go for a Samsung since they're the one who ship the OLED screens to the competition, therefore the ones who will make the best use of it.

All the 4K TV's come with a built in up-converter. As do a up-converting blu-ray converter. A Blu-ray player built for 4K TV's will also upconverter your standard blu-rays. The quality should be fine for most people(as long as you dont have a 100 inch TV lol).  I cant tell much of a difference on mine.

28 minutes ago, Rekkio said:

I don't have experience dealing with 4K hardware, but I know the competition gets their OLED screens from Samsung (LG and other companies):

I would go for a Samsung since they're the one who ship the OLED screens to the competition, therefore the ones who will make the best use of it.

I would also but OLED is expensive like crazy.

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

One important thing you should know about videos is the bitrate.

it is not because a video is encoded in 4k that it will show perfect on a 4k monitor!

There are lot of low bitrate 1080p videos that will not please you even on a 1080p monitor.

if your 1080p movies are encoded @high bitrate like bluray ones, then you can enjoy the image quality on every monitor

Try to get a sample encoded at a high bitrate and give it a try on different monitors to see the results by yourself

You’re exactly right. A Blu-ray disc has a bit rate  of about 30 to 60 mbps. 7kbps to 10mbps looks awesome on 1080p. But for 4k I would recommend at least 30 Mbps.

39 minutes ago, I Am Negan said:

All the 4K TV's come with a built in up-converter. As do a up-converting blu-ray converter. A Blu-ray player built for 4K TV's will also upconverter your standard blu-rays. The quality should be fine for most people(as long as you dont have a 100 inch TV lol).  I cant tell much of a difference on mine.

I would also but OLED is expensive like crazy.

Is Samsung's QLED the same OLED but just that Sami wanted to go with a new term??

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

Is Samsung's QLED the same OLED but just that Sami wanted to go with a new term??

https://www.techradar.com/news/oled-vs-qled

There completely different technology's. Not the same. 

OLED

Pros:
Lighter and thinner (2.57mm)
Self-lighting pixels
More convincing blacks
Faster refresh rate (0.001ms)
Judder and blur-free 

Cons: 
Only found in three screen sizes: 55, 65 & 77-inch
Muted brightness (1,000nits)
Expensive

QLED

Pros: 
Brilliant whites
Ultra-bright (1,500nits)
Variety of screen sizes between 49-88-inch

Cons:
Not as slim (25.4mm)
Overly bright 
Less convincing blacks
Slower refresh rate

This article says OLED's are the best.

I own a Samsung 4K TV and 1080p movies look fabulous on it. No black bands, no distortion. Most 4K tvs now have upscaling capabilities, so your 1080p content will look even better then before (not as good as pure 4k content but still...)

10 minutes ago, acutech said:

I own a Samsung 4K TV and 1080p movies look fabulous on it. No black bands, no distortion. Most 4K tvs now have upscaling capabilities, so your 1080p content will look even better then before (not as good as pure 4k content but still...)

Have you tried a standard dvd? I bet that doesn’t look too bad

1 hour ago, I Am Negan said:

OLED

Pros:
Lighter and thinner (2.57mm)
Self-lighting pixels
More convincing blacks
Faster refresh rate (0.001ms)
Judder and blur-free 

Cons: 
Only found in three screen sizes: 55, 65 & 77-inch
Muted brightness (1,000nits)
Expensive

QLED

Pros: 
Brilliant whites
Ultra-bright (1,500nits)
Variety of screen sizes between 49-88-inch

Cons:
Not as slim (25.4mm)
Overly bright 
Less convincing blacks
Slower refresh rate

This article says OLED's are the best.

But the problem with OLED is that over a long period of time, burn-ins are a issue, https://www.rtings.com/ have said the same in their OLED reviews.

QLED never has the burn-in problem, but yes, both has their own +s and -s.

51 minutes ago, acutech said:

Could you share the size of the TV and the model # as well ??

It only pays to buy a 4k tv if your content is ttrue 4k.. Netflix. YouTube bluray and cable broadcast if your provider has it.. 

58 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

But the problem with OLED is that over a long period of time, burn-ins are a issue, https://www.rtings.com/ have said the same in their OLED reviews.

55’inch samsung UHD(not QLED) I’m not paying thousands for a TV.

I didn’t know about the burn-in. I wouldn’t want that, heck no.

10 minutes ago, I Am Negan said:

I didn’t know about the burn-in. I wouldn’t want that heck no.

Burn-in is indeed a big problem and all the OLED buyers or potential buyers are upset because of the same.

Its sadly a true fact :(

Burn-In Review -> https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

3 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Burn-in is indeed a big problem and all the OLED buyers or potential buyers are upset because of the same.

Its sadly a true fact :(

Thanks for the info if I ever did get one of those TVs it would be QLED now. I got a 4K so that’s all that matters. In my area a good QLED is like 2 Grand. Way way too rich for my blood

1 hour ago, teodz1984 said:

Agree best choice is what you can afford that will playwhat media you have at the moment.. 

Right,  Cause there will  always be something better down the line.  Next there will be 8K,  which is stupid because someone told me your eyes can only perceive up to 6K .

7 hours ago, Rekkio said:

Samsung uses qled,  lg uses oled and also lg  oled is rated as the best you can buy by almost all rating services.

3 hours ago, nsan3 said:

I have a samsung 65MU9000 4k and the 1080s look great as well; biggest problem is playing movies and they show up in  16:9 format. Most of the time I play my movies through a lg bluray player and then they are fitted to full screen; the samsung tv doesn't do that even though it is set to auto fit screen. (don't like cropped movies)

• Administrator

So much to learn from this topic.

Anyway, not to take away anything from people who use it or are going to buy it. But Samsung - which I think makes great products, ones have an issue. That is called Panel lottery. Read here about it. Now, that article was written about a couple of years ago for a different panel type and different resolution. So I do not know if it's valid even now for the type of panels and resolutions discussed here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, I Am Negan said:

I didn’t know about the burn-in. I wouldn’t want that, heck no.

Hey bro, but did you have an idea to have a TV 32'' to be a PC Monitor?? Because some people have a big TV as a Monitor PC, also to watch TV. It's so difficult because the TV in these days are 4K and the size is more than 32'' :S 

Archived