Some of my colleague sent me pdf document from our boss

saraburton

It happened yesterday evening and I decided to check it out later. Today I've opened via Adobe Reader, but with message - There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document. I thought it was the problem of my software, I reinstalled it. But at next opening the same message appeared. Unfortunately I can't ask my colleagues to resend document, because they went to a vacancy. I've no idea where to find pdf fixer or some tricks for PDF files.

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Luaine has a good solution for a one off problem but if it occurs again you might want to follow Adobe's troubleshooting tips

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2494153

try to open the pdf through browser or different pdf software (foxit, sumatra, nitro etc.)

or try to convert the pdf to some other document via online and see.

I would first check it on virustotal,malware loaded pdf or office docs sent from id of someone known(probably hacked or spoofed) is the popular method nowadays for infecting networks.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:18 PM, saraburton said:

It happened yesterday evening and I decided to check it out later. Today I've opened via Adobe Reader, but with message - There was an error opening this document. There was a problem reading this document. I thought it was the problem of my software, I reinstalled it. But at next opening the same message appeared. Unfortunately I can't ask my colleagues to resend document, because they went to a vacancy. I've no idea where to find pdf fixer or some tricks for PDF files.

Ghostscript will repair your corrupted PDF automatically… if it can open it in the first place (that is, if it is not damaged beyond repair). But afterwards you’ll still need to double-check the result…

On Windows, try this one:

gswin32c.exe ^

-o repaired.pdf ^

-sDEVICE=pdfwrite ^

-dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress ^

corrupted.pdf

In case ghostscript doesn't work, you may check out new feature from Adobe for problem .pdf documents.

Archived