total'ish no power on ?

Atasas

Hello guys!

I have just had everything connected together an no power on...

Specs:

Asus p5q Delux MOBO

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5Q%20Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

PS "be quite! 750w model"

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/be-quiet!-Dark-Power-PRO-750W,-BQT-P7-PRO-750W-Modular-Low-Noise-PSU_7747.html

CPU Intel duo core E8500

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_e8500/

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD4850

http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/productdetail.asp?SKU=42022424

RAM Black Dragon PC2 8500 1066MHz

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/GeIL-4GB-2x2048MB-PC2-8500-1066Mhz-Black-Dragon-Dual-Channel-Kit_5089.html

Case Silverstone TJ07

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163067&Tpk=Case%20Silverstone%20TJ07

Everything connected, but there is no sign of life apart from quick RAM activity flash, when power jumpers get direct connection and nothing (no further RAM or CPU activity (beep or fan)) happens. There is manual power on button(as well as reset)- nothing either! All of case front connectors (audio etc) disconnected.

Beyond basic of a question:

Is there anything I could have not done not to get even BIOS to start up? What is potential problem?

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reconnect the 4 pin cable of the mobo.

Remove the CPU and fan, and put them back in again.

Make a Clear CMOS.

An be sure you plug the internal speaker.

beep codes and meanings:

1 short: System boots successfully

2 short: CMOS setting error

1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error

1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error

1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error

1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error

Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly

Continuous short beeps: Power error

we dont have a speaker...

:blink: It always come with the mobo.

speaker.JPG

Buy one... that little thing can tell you the error in your pc.

there's not even a cpu fan coming on. not even an front lights or any other BIOS function o start up...

(I have already removed one (out of two RAM sticks(as per recommended on major geeks)))

well at the end of a day I don get BIOS to start up- so I dont expect Speaker to give error signals either

well at the end of a day I don get BIOS to start up- so I dont expect Speaker to give error signals either

True..

Tried another PS?

• Administrator

Haantjuh is right. It can be a power supply problem. It's the first thin you should check. Just reconnect (disconnect and connect).

i'd point to the power supply or first of all ,the main power cable.after that ,check all the internal connections to the motherboard (power cables,motherboard header panel...etc)

• Administrator

If it still doesn't work. Just kick it twice or thrice. Or start swearing on it. Or give it a tight slap. These methods always works for me. :P

Regardless PS its a modular unit an supply have been changed over regarding as where its plugged in

IE keyboard power on does indicate power being there

Kicking an swearing might be an option, but basics have been tried unsuccessfully

Thanks for good intentions guys!

• Administrator

Now I feel that the power button can be broken. Some mobo(s) show keyboard and mouse lights even when the mobo is off.

nor build inn button, nor manual B4 and B5 connection does not start up system, also there is no power supply for Front lights either... everything points out to DOA of mobo- so email sent, just wait for response now, before I'll attempt to do something with it... :frusty:

• Administrator

Well as mentioned before power is there as the the keyboard and mouse lights get on. I really think that you should install a mobo speaker. It tells a lot of things. :yes:

My mate (the one I was going to put everything nicely together) will do another test- with different power supply, regarding speaker- if you dont get no front lights- you cant get speaker to bleep!- same circuit!

• Administrator

You know weird things do happen for computer. It has happened to me on my old PC. It beeped but there was no light. But at that time the story was a bit different.

Another thing.... put the ram in the BLACK slots. Some Asus mobos dont support 1066 in the yellow ports.

My P5Q-Pro would not post until i 1st installed 1 stick of ram in the black slot, A1 i think.

I then went into BIOS and raised the Ram core to 1.98.

My pc then was able to post.

I then shut her down and installed my 2nd stick of ram in the A2 slot (2 x 2gb).

So far, it's working fine.

Hello guys!

I have just had everything connected together an no power on...

Everything connected, but there is no sign of life apart from quick RAM activity flash, when power jumpers get direct connection and nothing (no further RAM or CPU activity (beep or fan)) happens. There is manual power on button(as well as reset)- nothing either! All of case front connectors (audio etc) disconnected.

Beyond basic of a question:

Is there anything I could have not done not to get even BIOS to start up? What is potential problem?

Thanks!

Did you try booting the mobo "naked", just

- CPU/fan,

- power supply (take one that you know works),

- no graphics,

- no memory,

- no SATA/IDE nor anything external

- WITH leds+1 switch (try both, 1 at a time plugged in power or short pins by hand)

- AND SPEAKER (should come with casing)

- outside casing: sometimes a stud shorts a bad place

???

That way, only 3 failure points: Mobo, CPU, Power

If you get beep codes, you have an answer

If the modo is graphics integrated, needs memory else seems dead.

These are generics, but worked for the last 10+ years professionally!

Good luck!

Martin

P.S. You might have to upgrade the BIOS if your CPU is not currently supported by BIOS. Yeah, I know how it sounds, but it happens. You need another CPU to do the upgrade then!

Archived