Against all odds, NASA may have actually found a meteorite on the bottom of the ocean

tao

Three days ago, scientists from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration teamed up with NASA in the hopes of finding leftover chunks of a meteorite which slammed into the ocean way back in March. NASA had a pretty good idea of where the space rock impacted the ocean, but actually finding any debris was still a long shot. Now it’s beginning to look like the expedition has paid off.

The team spent a solid seven hours exploring the seabed in the area thought to be the site of the meteorite impact, using a pair of robotic vehicles to scour the ocean floor for signs of the very special rock. They gathered a whole bunch of material and used powerful magnets to snag what they hoped would be leftovers of the metallic meteorite.

However, conclusively determining whether an of the material was a leftover chunk of space rock is a tricky task, and despite the high-resolution video feeds from ocean bed it’s impossible tell exactly what any of the rocks were before bringing them back up to the surface.

Once the samples made it back out of the water, the complicated task of sifting through them began. NASA’s Marc Fries, an expect on material from space and Cosmic Dust Curator (now that’s a heck of a job title!) examined the various rocks that were gathered and identified a pair of small chunks that appear to be the real deal.

The rocks are tiny but include features associated with a meteorite that has survived its entry into our atmosphere. The shiny “fusion crust” that appears smooth on their surface suggests they endured the incredible friction of Earth’s atmosphere before eventually plunging into the ocean.

Going forward, researchers will examine the fragments more closely and hope to conclusively determine that they are indeed from space. If the rocks are indeed extraterrestrial, it will mark an incredible accomplishment for the expedition team, and a big win for science as a whole.

< Here >

• Replies 8
  • Views 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was found a lot of years ago... 

article-2197489-14D08BA5000005DC-45_1024

NASA said that "it's a old rock"" and it's forbidden to make dive there :S 

1 hour ago, tao said:

Sorry, that is not the rock that is shown at the < original page >.  Thank you. 

Dear Bro :) I know very well that is not "the rock" that was in the OP. I only made a comment of another "rock" :) !! 

Recently, watching a series on NatGeo, I learned that a dagger entombed alongside the mummy of Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun was made with iron that came from a meteorite.

The weapon was one of a pair of daggers discovered by British archaeologist Howard Carter in 1925 within the burial wrappings of the teenaged king.

The origin of its unrusted iron blade has baffled scientists because such metalwork was rare in ancient Egypt.

Tutankhamun was mummified more than 3,300 years ago.

Italian and Egyptian researchers used "a non-invasive X-ray technique" to confirm the composition of the iron without damaging it, according to a study published in the journal of Meteoritics and Planetary Science.

"Meteoritic iron is clearly indicated by the presence of a high percentage of nickel," the study's main author, Daniela Comelli, said.

The researchers say the presence of iron - along with levels of nickel and cobalt - "strongly suggests an extraterrestrial origin".

They compared the composition of the dagger to known meteorites within 2,000km around the Red Sea coast of Egypt, and found that one in particular - which landed 150 miles (240km) west of Alexandria - contained similar levels of nickel and cobalt.

Ancient Egyptians attached great significance to meteoritic iron for the production of fine ornamental or ceremonial objects, the researchers say.

"They were aware that these rare chunks of iron fell from the sky already in the 13th century BCE, anticipating Western culture by more than two millennia," they write in their findings.

The high manufacturing quality of the blade in comparison with other simple-shaped meteoritic iron artefacts "suggests a significant mastery of ironworking in Tutankhamun's time", they say.

The dagger - which features a decorated gold handle and a gold sheath with a floral lily motif on one side and a feather pattern on the other - is now on display at the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36432635

2 hours ago, Archanus said:

made a comment of another "rock"

You can make a comment about the moon rock here.  But irrelevant comments are nothing but Spam.  :sadwalk:

8 hours ago, tao said:

You can make a comment about the moon rock here.  But irrelevant comments are nothing but Spam.  :sadwalk:

My comments are not irrelevant :) I'm talking about the topic :) Why everybody thought I make spam?? YOU TOLD ME SOME DAYS AGO THAT YOU LIKE MY CONTRIBUTION :) 

9 hours ago, Archanus said:

YOU TOLD ME SOME DAYS AGO THAT YOU LIKE MY CONTRIBUTION

First, all caps is considered shouting on the iNet which I am sure you know.

Second, these are your words not mine.  But that's okay also.

Hope you reach your targeted number of posts quickly.  Kudos to your effort and honesty.  Thank you.

Cheers!   :drunk:

2 minutes ago, tao said:

First, all caps is considered shouting on the iNet which I am sure you know.

Second, these are your words not mine.  But that's okay also.

Hope you reach your targeted number of posts quickly.  Kudos to your effort and honesty.  Thank you.

Cheers!   :drunk:

Yes Bro :) Caps, because you told me that before in a very funny way :) but sadly you forgot it :( 

Oh come on ! jajaja Exactly, my honesty, because I told you (in the same post) that "my targeted number" is near

Cheers for you, dear bro :) have a nice day

Archived