[Medicine] Can a simple blood test detect cancer?

tao

Scientists are designing a blood test that could detect cancer before symptoms occur. Early detection allows early treatment and prevents cancer progression.

Cancer is usually diagnosed after a patient has been experiencing symptoms. At this point, the tumor has already grown significantly and often has spread to other organs. Later stage cancers are more difficult to treat, have lower survival rates, and patients experience severe morbidity. When cancer is diagnosed early, immediate treatment can prevent tumor progression and will result in a positive patient outcome.

GRAIL, a biotech company in California, is designing a simple blood test that can detect cancer in early stages, even before patients experience any symptoms. More than a billion dollars has been invested into developing the blood test that GRAIL believes will save lives. A recent article published in Science discussed the study.

Scientists will isolate and sequence DNA from the blood sample. Dying cells in tumours are shed into the bloodstream, so some of this DNA will originate from the tumour. DNA from tumors have mutations in “cancer genes”, have different copy numbers of genes, and different regulation marks than normal DNA. Analysis of the DNA present in the blood sample allows scientists to recognize the presence of tumour DNA and detect cancer in the patient.

GRAIL tested blood from 878 people who had recently been diagnosed with early stage cancer and 580 people without cancer. The test could detect cancer 65% of the time with a very low false positive rate. For late-stage metastatic cancers, the test was accurate 95% of the time. Late stage cancers have tumors in more than one tissue type and the lymph nodes, so more dying cancer cells are shed into the blood, therefore cancer is easier to detect.

The GRAIL blood test may also indicate the where the tumor is in the body by detecting certain biomarkers. A positive test could be easily followed up with imaging to confirm the presence of cancer and determine a treatment plan. This blood test has the potential to save countless lives and reduce morbidity for patients diagnosed with cancer.

< Here >

• Replies 6
  • Views 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that advantage reach the hospital, I'm very sure that Cancer Rate will grow down a lot :) 

13 minutes ago, Archanus said:

If that advantage reach the hospital, I'm very sure that Cancer Rate will grow down a lot :) 

What a load of bull,

THERE IS NO CURE FOR CANCER... if you get detected with  cancer.... Most  of the time it will be late stage.. ..  All the doctors will say you have x months/days to live.. Chemotheraphy won't be the magic bullet... Those offering  Alternative Medicines won't help either. They will just give a you a big hole in your wallet (Take it from someone  who has had a member struck down with this disease)..

Brazilian model Nara Almeida, 24, dies of cancer after promising 4.5 million Instagram fans that illness was ‘just a phase’

nintchdbpict000408365000.jpg?w=960

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6364161/nara-almeida-dies-cancer-instagram-model/

18 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

What a load of bull

I get blood tests every year for prostate cancer keeps my doctor off my back he says its curable if found early

I smoke so that's probably what will get me in the end ?

1 minute ago, teodz1984 said:

CANCER or Emphysema or COPD

Isn't that enough reason to stop?

It should be I agree my dad died of lung cancer after giving up 5 years prior my grandfather smoked and he died at 96

I was a spraypainter for 40 years aswell I guess I am lucky to still be here ? sorry for your loss most of us have been touched by this insidious desease

16 minutes ago, DonyMach1 said:

I get blood tests every year for prostate cancer keeps my doctor off my back he says its curable if found early

I smoke so that's probably what will get me in the end ?

Don't worry bro :) There's always time to change and get a better life :) 

Enjoy your day and be happy, also enjoy the time with your family. They really love you.

Never give up :) 

Archived