After being pulled from a spaceflight in January, Jeanette Epps speaks up

steven36

NASA astronaut Jeanette Epps was supposed to be in space right now, as the first African-American crew member living on the International Space Station. But instead she's on the ground doing all of the things astronauts do when they're not in space—training, monitoring programs, working as a capcom in Mission Control, and more.

https://s7d5.turboimg.net/sp/2aa6bf3d31ed990beed474dd7dae6731/jsc2017e136443_orig-800x534.jpg

Jeanette Epps, left, is shown as an Expedition 54-55 backup crewmember on December 5, 2017. She was pulled from Expedition 56 at about this time.

Since being pulled from her flight in January, a mission that launched about two weeks ago for a six-month tour on the space station, Epps has remained quiet in public. NASA did not specify the reasons for her removal from Expedition 56 to the space station, saying only that, "These decisions are personnel matters for which NASA doesn’t provide information."

However, Epps did finally speak publicly this week, appearing at the Tech Open Air technology festival in Berlin on June 21, where she was interviewed by journalist Megan Gannon. The website CollectSPACE provided a transcript of the discussion.

“I can’t speculate”

Asked why she was taken off the Expedition 56 flight, Epps said she could not go into great detail. “I can't speculate in this forum why that was done, but it was a decision of my management and it is something that we're going to try to work through,” she said. However, Epps noted that she passed all of her NASA training, her Russian training, as well as exams for operating European and Japanese modules on the space station.

“Other people had been removed because of a medical thing, an accident,” she said. “One person broke a hip and had to be removed from flight, of course. But I didn't have any medical conditions or anything like that. And I didn't have any family issues at all, either.”

There are ongoing investigations into the situation of Epps, who was selected to become an astronaut in 2009. What she does not explicitly state, but which is true, is that NASA's Johnson Space Center was responsible for selecting her as an astronaut, training her, and then decided she was competent to fly as an astronaut by assigning her to a mission. At some point after all of this, flight operations leaders decided that she should not fly. Epps said she expects to get some kind of closure from these investigations by the end of the summer.

From our independent reporting, we feel pretty confident that this was not a racial situation, nor something set down from NASA's administration or the White House. Rather, it was an internal decision taken at Johnson Space Center. Epps feels wronged, but for now she is playing the role of a loyal soldier in hopes of flying again.

Business as usual

To that end, Epps said she is going about her business as usual.

“I'm back in the corps now, I am working on the NASA Orion program, which is really the Space Launch System, which is a mission to go back to the Moon to build a lunar orbital platform called the Gateway, and to basically get astronauts back to the moon and develop technologies there that would help take us to Mars,” she said. “I'm still flying the T-38, I'm still capcom'ing in Mission Control, and so I am just back in the office doing the same things that I was doing for the eight years I was waiting for a mission.”

As for that long wait, which culminated in a coveted flight assignment, only to be taken away again, Epps admitted, “It is something that I live with every day.”

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

her NASA training, her Russian training, ?

27 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

Nah , Russian got to her ! ? 

I doubt it up there  you live with Russians for many years, they leave politics down on earth .Every Astronaut has to have Cosmonaut training  for Russian elements of the Station. They have there own Government up there  that is different from down here .

The space station belong to the United States, Russia, the European Partner, Japan and Canada they are legally responsible for the respective elements they provide. The European States are being treated as one homogenous entity, called the European Partner on the Space Station.

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/International_Space_Station_legal_framework

NASA is very picky  about who they let go in space it could of been for any reason .

Space Force  now that belongs to the U.S Military .:smoke:

31 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I doubt it up there  you live with Russians for many years, they leave politics down on earth .Every Astronaut has to have Cosmonaut training  for Russian elements of the Station. They have there own Government up there  that is different from down here .

The space station belong to the United States, Russia, the European Partner, Japan and Canada they are legally responsible for the respective elements they provide. The European States are being treated as one homogenous entity, called the European Partner on the Space Station.

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/International_Space_Station_legal_framework

NASA is very picky  about who they let go in space it could of been for any reason .

Space Force  now that belongs to the U.S Military .:smoke:

You sound reasonable but Nahh. :nuke:

37 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Russian got to her !  ?

Do you honestly believe that the Russian and the U.S have equal knowledge and power when it comes to what's going on up there?  Nahh.

21 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

You sound reasonable but Nahh. :nuke:

Russian got to her !  ?

Do you honestly believe that the Russian and the U.S have equal knowledge and power when it comes to what's going on up there?  Nahh.

There was no reason given .she dont even know why.  assuming is just a  conspiracy theory without any proof ,  some left winged Americans pulled the race card out and assume it was because she was black.:coolwink:

What you're saying don't even make any sense, there is no evidence she ever been involved or ever talked to anybody from Russia before ? She is from New York, just because you see the word Russia you make the post about Russia get a grip!  :chair:

You're a buzzkill...

?

On 6/22/2018 at 8:02 PM, steven36 said:

There was no reason given .she dont even know why.  assuming is just a  conspiracy theory without any proof   some left winged Americans pulled the race card out and assume it was because she was black.:coolwink:

Race card?  Possible ! why not.

Just because Obama were black doesn't a damm thing .

35 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

Race card?  Possible ! why not.

Just because Obama were black doesn't a damm thing .

Because  they have laws against racism against blacks in the workplace , in the USA. If you're black you're more likely to get a job  than a white person,  so they can say they hired a black person . The problem is not many blacks  train to be Astronauts .Same problem Google has finding black employees, not many train to be IT. it's not because of race.   I worked in  places down south that there was only one or two whites  working with me,  90% was blacks and 7% were Hispanic. The law dont protect whites even..  We even got Martin Luther King Jr. Day off as a paid holiday .  People  still living in the 19th century and stuck in the past . it's highly unlikely because she was black even. She still works for the NASA and is getting paid, if she done something really wrong they would of fired her . FFS

knowledge-Spammer

y u talk about golden showe  and russia for   1st was joke but now no sure  then about Race   this topic changed fast

how can infect the Russian  ?

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

She still works for the NASA and is getting paid, if she done something really wrong they would of fired her . FFS

You have a good point there. -_-

4 minutes ago, knowledge said:

y u talk about golden showe  and russia for   1st was joke but now no sure  then about Race   this topic changed fast

Nah. Just joke! No hard feelings.

Who knows , Golden shower may just be another conspiracy theory! 

knowledge-Spammer
10 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

You have a good point there. -_-

Nah. Just joke! No hard feelings.

Who knows , Golden shower may just be another conspiracy theory! 

as little joke u seem to like Golden shower i can give u if like   u see topic is off big time  u say Golden shower i understand y  but u have balls to say

we can all post bs things about conspiracy theory if i was u best watch what u say if i understand right u no y i comment like this   if u no play nice  then no play  at all  .maybe u not seen  this( no rules count for those willing to bring russia down )

10 minutes ago, knowledge said:

as little joke u seem to like Golden shower i can give u if like   u see topic is off big time  u say Golden shower i understand y  but u have balls to say

we can all post bs things about conspiracy theory if i was u best watch what u say if i understand right u no y i comment like this   if u no play nice  then no play  at all  .maybe u not seen  this( no rules count for those willing to bring russia down )

Yes of cores i have balls! I'm not female. 

And i thought the hole golden shower thing were about Trump? Why you want to bring Russia down?

And how did you connect the golden shower with wiling to bring down Russia? i'm pretty much curies at this point :sneaky:

Anyhow, @steven36 Race card it is then. :lol:

knowledge-Spammer
3 minutes ago, hacker7 said:

Yes of cores i have balls! I'm not female. 

And i thought the hole golden shower thing were about Trump? Why you want to bring Russia down?

And how did you connect the golden shower with wiling to bring down Russia? i'm pretty much curies at this point :sneaky:

Anyhow, @steven36 Race card it is then. :lol:

lets talk about this conspiracy theory  about the golden shower  as its what u want to talk about yes 

i'm pretty much curies at this point  me to ?

and for the comment   no rules count for those willing to bring russia down

look at u are trying to do  then u understand it better

Archived