Math and front-end

tao

If you were one of those kids that wondered why you had to attend all those math classes and learn about angles and algebra, well, so was I. I’ll admit, I was too restless and easily bored to be a good student in a classroom setting. But as I got older, I realised that certain mathematical principles actually had practical applications in my day-to-day work (Not calculus though, I mean, I’m not a rocket scientist).

The question of whether you need to be good at math to be a good web developer boils down to what your definition of being good at math entails. If your definition of being good at math refers to understanding pure mathematical concepts like analysis or calculus, which involves a lot of proofs and theorems, then I have to admit, you don’t use those skills in web design/development.

But although the practical skills required are probably at the high school level, it’s a matter of applying those arithmetic skills and knowledge of geometry in the context of web design.

For example, using the border-width hack to create triangles involves both a knowledge of how the browser renders borders and the application of trigonometry to realise that the property is “hackable”.

So let’s take a look at some of the aspects of web development where math can come in handy. [...]

If interested, please read the entire article < here >.

• Views 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived