Which email client for my needs?

kowalski215

kowalski215

Hi everyone. 

In these days I'm struggling to find an email client that actually suits my needs. At the end, I've decided to start this post to see whether there are alternatives that I've not considered so far and are worth a try. Basically, I'd like to have something that:

- Sync my Outlook account - but that's not a big issue.

- Sync my GMAIL contacts - only the contacts possibly, not the emails.

- Sync other TWO email addresses on a registered domain 

4 accounts in total.

So far, I've tried

- Thunderbird. It was the best for me, but, I don't know why, it keeps crashing whenever I send new emails. And I can't figure out the source of the problem..

- eM client. The one I'm using right now. Don't like it so much, but does the job.

- Postbox. Same as thunderbird (needless to say...)

- The bat! - Does not launch. I mean, after install, it does not open properly and crashes on startup...

- Outlook 2016 - Quite "Heavy"... I prefer no-frills software..

Thanks in advance

-k

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kowalski215

Ok thanks everyone.

In the end, I gave a try to mailbird and it's quite ok! - and it does not cost a dime.

As far as Android is concerned, I've always been using Aqua Mail and that's the best for me ;)

brain_death

If I'm not too late to the party, Claws Mail is for the hard core. I currently use Thunderbird, because I can share the same settings across Windows and Linux. Claws Mail is more minimalist, but has a range of add-ons that increase functionality and it is (almost) equally at home under both operating systems. If Thunderbird ever carries out its threat to cease development, then I will certainly be switching to Claws Mail.

kowalski215
44 minutes ago, brain_death said:

If I'm not too late to the party, Claws Mail is for the hard core. I currently use Thunderbird, because I can share the same settings across Windows and Linux. Claws Mail is more minimalist, but has a range of add-ons that increase functionality and it is (almost) equally at home under both operating systems.

Never too late ;) 

I forgot to mention Claws Mail in my first post. Actually, I tried it and I found it pretty effective - it's a no-frills and really simple client.

However, I've never managed to sync my contacts with claws mail as plugins that would allow me to do so do not work on the windows version of the client.

BTW, I've just managed to make TheBat! working, and after first few hours it seems to be better than Mailbird...

If Thunderbird ever carries out its threat to cease development, then I will certainly be switching to Claws Mail.

I've been a thunderbird beta tester for a few months and it seems there's some active development under the hood - usually minor bugs but it still means developers are at work. Not a real threat ;) 

I think they should make a x64 version of their software though...

brain_death
56 minutes ago, kowalski215 said:

I think they should make a x64 version of their software though...

There seems to be some acknowledgement of this, but a certain resistance too. Linux has had 64-bit builds for years...

'Unofficial' 64-bit Windows builds of Thunderbird are on offer here:

m64.info

;)

Edit: Apparently, these are nightly builds taken directly from Mozilla themselves and just hosted elsewhere. We'd have to call them alpha builds I guess, but you can find official Thunderbird 64-bit offerings for Windows here:

Thunderbird Nightly

Direct link:

Thunderbird 62.0a1 en-US Windows x64

:o

If you are looking for freeware then Thunderbird is good.

Else, use eM Client, it's perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear bro :) I really recommend you Thunderbird, because it's light and, as brian_death says: It's minimalist :) 

But I use a lot Outlook 2016, and I have no slow down (frills), and it's very stable, I really like it ! 

On 6/5/2018 at 7:58 PM, teodz1984 said:

Thunderbird ESR

On 6/6/2018 at 11:44 PM, brain_death said:

Claws Mail is more minimalist

:)

On 6/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, kowalski215 said:

Hi everyone. 

In these days I'm struggling to find an email client that actually suits my needs.

You haven't described your needs — FWIW, no e-mail client comes anywhere close to The Bat! Professional.

brain_death
On 7/7/2018 at 10:22 AM, teodz1984 said:

It is because I made the first recommendation for THUNDERBIRD..Look at the date

Let me post again brain_death's post

He said: 

1. He uses Thunderbird, because I can share the same settings across Windows and Linux.

(he means he can migrate his settings between OSes since it is FOSS and exist across platforms.. He doesn't make any mention of minimalist in this sentence

Next sentence, different train of thought. You know a sentence is finished by a period.

2.Claws Mail is more minimalist, but has a range of add-ons that increase functionality and it is (almost)  equally at home under both operating systems.

Lastly 

3. If Thunderbird ever carries out its threat to cease development, then I will certainly be switching to Claws Mail"

if Mozilla drops the TB project he is forced to use Claws Mail

Dear @teodz1984,

Thanks for the translation and that is pretty much, exactly what I said...

I was only trying to help though and did not expect to start a war!

Let's remember, the majority of folk on this forum are not native English speakers...

Peace out!

?

• 1 month later...

With FoxMail my mails were organized like never before. And I never felt the need for a dedicated antispam program with Foxmail.

Its a Tencent Inc. product from China...and so far, I have had no reasons not to trust them.

Archived