My system runs on Pennzoil SAE 5W-30 Synthetic

HX1

Thought this was funny..I knew something would be brewing .. because every year... as it has been for as long as I can remember.. something ALWAYS happens..

I had problems last year with the fan on my laptop..started acting like the motor was burned up or something.. making noise.. So I took the laptop apart and removed the fan.. cleaned it up real good.. had some weird black dirt on the underside of the fan..and on the spindle..So I cotton swabbed everything I could get to while I had it apart and put the fan and all its pieces back together.. Noise stopped completely until this last week.. It started making the same noise but worse every time I would boot ..then it would go away until yesterday it didn't stop making the noise.. My CPU temp shot up to 70-80 C.. ( 170+ F ) and I shut the system down took it to my technician.. and was told that it would cost anywhere from $100-400 to repair..work on or replace the fan in my obsolete computer...IF a part could be found.. He also mentioned that some people put a little oil on the spindle to quieten it down ...

Well.. I went out to find oil or something after trying to get it to work and trying different things.. So finally all I had was a quart of Pennzoil SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Blend from my old car.. the good stuff.. ( used to cost me about $80 just to buy the oil and K&N Gold Filter.. ) .. I took a swab and ran a light film around the inside of the fan and coated the spindle... made sure there was no excess. I put it back together and it runs better now than it did when I first bought the computer.. Temp is stabilized...but I will probably have to do it again..eventually.. desperately need a new fan..

Anyway I thought it was kind of funny... I think I should put a sticker on my computer now...LOL

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have the same problem facing right now with my Aspire 5580.

Following

, i managed to disassemble the whole compartment except for the fan itself which i have no knowledge on how to open it to fix the darn noise it is making. Replacing it is just not an option right now. So if anyone of you out there who knows and could give a side note on how to perhaps forcible open and fix it, i would gladly appreciate it as it would give me the will to crack open my lappy again.

Cheers,

Tuck :cheers:

PS

The noise it is making sounds like the fan propeller is slipping behind every turn the motor makes. Like it hasn't been attach to it. So now i have to rely on an exernal usb fan just to cool it down a little. Otherwise it will overheats because there is less air spitted out by the fan or worse none. So basically it is spinning for nothing but noise. :(

can you just get a replacement fan...generic... get the fan dimensions in mm x mm and the volts and rpm... the computer stores i have here all carry a multitude of fans for almost every need there should be one that fits although not an exact fan that originally was on the system it should work.I have just taken the old one off and brought it in and replaced it...several times i have had several options in what to replace it with.

Archived