Rufus 3.0 released - ISO to bootable USB for Windows

ADN

Rufus 3.0 is out; the new version of the popular utility for Windows is one of the easiest options on PCs running Windows to create bootable USB devices using ISO images.

I used Rufus for a long time to create USB installation media for Linux or Windows, but did not review the software before 2017 here on this site. You can check out the Rufus review here for a general overview of the program's functionality.

While you may use other programs to create bootable media from ISO images, the Windows Media Creation Tool by Microsoft or Woe USB for Linux for instance, it is more often than not Rufus that I rely on for the job.

You can throw nearly any ISO at Rufus and create bootable media using it with just a few clicks in the program interface.

Rufus 3.0

rufus 30

Rufus 3.0 is still super-easy to use; one core difference to previous versions of Rufus is that the new version is no longer compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Users and admins who run these Windows versions need to stay on the previous version of the application as it is fully compatible with those operating systems.

The interface of Rufus changed quite a bit in the new version to better highlight the "flow of user operations".

It is divided into drive properties and format options now. Drive properties include the selected drive, the ISO image, and partition scheme and target system selections

Drive Properties include an option to show advanced properties; most users don't need these probably but they may be useful for advanced use scenarios. You may use the options to list all USB hard drives, add fixes for old BIOSes, or use the Rufus MBR with BIOS ID.

Format Options define the file format and other properties of the drive the ISO image is created on. It includes volume label, file system, and cluster size information by default.

Some options are hidden by default; you may disable quick format, created extended label and icon files, or check the device for bad blocks and select the number of passes.

Rufus 3.0 includes other changes: it supports ARM64 for UEFI:NTFS, and comes with improved support for Linux ISO efi.img files, and non-ISO9660 compliant openSUSE Leap ISOs.

The project website was switched to HTTPS so that all program downloads happen over HTTPS now.

Rufus 3.0 is available as a portable version and version that can be installed. Windows XP and Vista users can download the previous version, Rufus 2.18, with a click on other downloads.

Ghacks.net

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
donkey-girl

Already posted   and on frontpage :)

• Israeli_Eagle locked this topic
  • Israeli_Eagle unlocked this topic
5 hours ago, Crazycanuk said:

This is the software news section so this article is fine

Welcome back Crazycanuk!!!! The place wasn't the "sane" without you!!!:D:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Love the new interface but sad to know that XP/Vista were left out in the new version. Still the best out there! ☺️

2 minutes ago, Raur said:

Love the new interface but sad to know that XP/Vista were left out in the new version. Still the best out there! ☺️

You said: sad to know that XP/Vista were left out, it's a completely irrelevant and after all, this widget  is completely unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Raur said:

Exactly :( I don't know why Rufus stop supporting XP and Vista

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, Archanus said:

Exactly :( I don't know why Rufus stop supporting XP and Vista

contact him yourself by his email mentioned on his site or read this from the FAQ.

version 3.1 of Rufus came out a few weeks ago

On 6/24/2018 at 1:20 PM, Kalju said:

You said: sad to know that XP/Vista were left out, it's a completely irrelevant and after all, this widget  is completely unnecessary.

Yea, when I want to create a bootable USB, I just mount the ISO, copy, and paste all files to the USB.  I see no need for a 3rd party program.  But, hey!  If you like it, go for it!

54 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Yea, when I want to create a bootable USB, I just mount the ISO, copy, and paste all files to the USB.  I see no need for a 3rd party program.  But, hey!  If you like it, go for it!

Wait what?  With assuming like this how can you set the partition scheme and boot type?
This is really wrong thinking, this is why bootable program is made

8 hours ago, Phantom Blade said:

Wait what?  With assuming like this how can you set the partition scheme and boot type?
This is really wrong thinking, this is why bootable program is made

Format USB to NTFS, copy files over, and you are good to go!

Everything you need to create a bootable drive is already included with Windows.  Rufus is completely unnecessary, and I don't use it.

55 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Format USB to NTFS, copy files over, and you are good to go!

Even NTFS not needed, FAT32 works also great.

43 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Even NTFS not needed, FAT32 works also great.

Sorry I meant to say fat32, cause you need fat32 for UEFI.  Actually fat32 will support regular BIOS.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, Phantom Blade said:

I would imagine without investigation that all Rufus is, is a program which uses Windows commands rewritten into an executable.

40 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Sorry I meant to say fat32, cause you need fat32 for UEFI.  Actually fat32 will support regular BIOS.  Thanks.

I would imagine without investigation that all Rufus is, is a program which uses Windows commands rewritten into an executable.

Hey, you're a smart kid! You're right again.

5 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Hey, you're a smart kid! You're right again.

Thanks.  I just want to remind everyone that using Rufus is fine if you want to, and you will become an expert with Rufus, but if you learn Powershell, command line, and diskpart you will become an expert with Windows.

Archived