New Smartphone Recommendation?

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hello,

This isn't like an urgent matter for me, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to see the different recommendations.

Currently I use a OnePlus One (2nd Gen.) and I'm quite happy with it and what it does for me. But then again I don't really use it much apart from having it as a phone and playing one game (Dawn Breaking). As I still prefer using a Point-and-Shoot camera over the phone's. But that's mainly 'cause the phone's camera actually sucks.

Anyway, having had this phone for so long, I was curious as to all the new phones that are now out/coming out this year, if there might be one for me to purchase to replace the OnePlus One (to give to either my mom/dad).
I know that the OnePlus 6 just got released and it seems pretty nice, despite the increase of price tag. And I'm sure the camera on that is a huge improvement over the OPO's.

But at that price tag, I'm sure there are other phones that are in the same range that may actually be "better" at least with their camera.

Again the main purpose I use a phone for is to play one game and if the camera is great, possibly use that to replace my point-and-shoot camera.
{I mainly mention this as I don't have an actual data plan, I'm on a legacy plan where I mainly pay for minutes (only), so no data, and only leech WiFi where available.}

I'd say my budget would be UNDER $600, as anything over that, I feel is a bit too much.

So you may pitch in your suggestions (possibly links) to what you think is I suppose, "best bang for buck" and I guess priority would be the Camera.

If it helps a camera that is pretty much point-and-shoot, as I'm not that sort of guy that knows how to really mess with the manual settings. As I think the Huawei P20 is a great option for camera but if you know how to manually tweak the settings.

Of course if there are questions, I'll answer to the best I can.

Thanks.

Edited by SacredCultivator

39 minutes ago, SacredCultivator said:

Hello,

This isn't like an urgent matter for me, but I thought I'd throw it out there just to see the different recommendations.

Currently I use a OnePlus One (2nd Gen.) and I'm quite happy with it and what it does for me. But then again I don't really use it much apart from having it as a phone and playing one game (Dawn Breaking). As I still prefer using a Point-and-Shoot camera over the phone's. But that's mainly 'cause the phone's camera actually sucks.

Anyway, having had this phone for so long, I was curious as to all the new phones that are now out/coming out this year, if there might be one for me to purchase to replace the OnePlus One (to give to either my mom/dad).
I know that the OnePlus 6 just got released and it seems pretty nice, despite the increase of price tag. And I'm sure the camera on that is a huge improvement over the OPO's.

But at that price tag, I'm sure there are other phones that are in the same range that may actually be "better" at least with their camera.

Again the main purpose I use a phone for is to play one game and if the camera is great, possibly use that to replace my point-and-shoot camera.
{I mainly mention this as I don't have an actual data plan, I'm on a legacy plan where I mainly pay for minutes (only), so no data, and only leech WiFi where available.}

I'd say my budget would be UNDER $600, as anything over that, I feel is a bit too much.

So you may pitch in your suggestions (possibly links) to what you think is I suppose, "best bang for buck" and I guess priority would be the Camera.

If it helps a camera that is pretty much point-and-shoot, as I'm not that sort of guy that knows how to really mess with the manual settings. As I think the Huawei P20 is a great option for camera but if you know how to manually tweak the settings.

Of course if there are questions, I'll answer to the best I can.

Thanks.

I'll recommend Oneplus 6. It's my first from Opoo, always with Samsung since galaxy s3 but get rid of my 7 months old galaxy s8 plus and went for Oneplus 6 and no regrets.

I never knew a device can ran so smooth and personally I'll never use Samsung bloatware ever again.

SacredCultivator

That was one thing I didn't like with Samsung (i never owned any but Sister/Dad uses them), and not too fond of the bloatware. I know you can uninstall some / change ROMs but no thanks.

And quite honestly the price jump for OPO isn't all that bad, I mean I know the OPO was half the cost of the OP 6, but at the same time, a lot of major upgrades were done to it and it's still like half the cost of Samsung stuff.

I generally buy 2 or 3 generations back, do your research, check out forums specific to your model before you buy. 

I'd definitely recommend OP6. It's got a great screen and cameras are great as well.

You can also look at the last gen LG flagship phone. You'll get it for cheap. But LG has a bad reputation of bootloops. Do google a bit. 

Edited by Myna

• 2 weeks later...
SacredCultivator

Thanks for the recommendations, and at the moment still haven't decided on what to get.

SacredCultivator

bought, did not regret, a gift for my wife, stuffing is good, delivery is 14 days, the seller is sympathetic, makes the price for customs lower, only when you buy the seller told the limit of your customs. Success!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
SacredCultivator

Yeah, I still haven't gotten a new phone, but now more willing provided next Jan. I'll be attending a concert and a few more afterwards and need a new phone to shoot 4k60p, and a point-and-shoot camera that supports that costs way more than a new phone, so getting a new phone seems to be the wiser option.

So I suppose for the phone it'd mainly be for shooting video and with Black Friday/Cyber Monday I know a few are on sale. The Pixel 3 I thought would be nice but only shoots 4k30p. So I thought the S9+ / OnePlus 6t would be better options. Though OP isnt known to do well in low-light which I'd imagine falls under Concerts. And for the S9+, just not a fan of all the bloatware that comes with it.

Unsure if there are other options that do well in the video recording department.

I will suggest ASUS ZENFONE 5Z. It supports 4K/60FPS as well as HIGH-RES AUDIO and finally the CAMERA is brilliant. Just see all the reviews in ASUS ZenTalk.

Edited by hp owner

• 4 weeks later...

one +6 all the way! great cameras for video recording. you can see the one +6 right here. he broadcasts "hitch hiking" LIVE around the EU using a one +6.

The S10 is gonna be overpriced!

I'm sure that you've bought a new phone by now, seeing as your post was in May!, but just for gp I added this review of the OP6

Edited by YN1F
  • Like 1

SacredCultivator

I did end up getting the OnePlus 6t. Camera honestly isn't all that great, but I didn't really have high expectations for it anyway. But I do like the overall experience of it.

• 4 weeks later...

My phone is dead, I'm thinking about buying a new one. I had an Xperia....never again.

Any recommendations for a mobile with a decent camera that's affordable and that has good reliability in terms of performance would be much appreciated. I made the mistake of choosing my last phone with no advice.

Last month, i bought a Huawei Mate 20; good smartphone/photophone at a reasonable price;i hesitated between the Huawei Mate 20 & the OnePlus 6T but the SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) of the OnePlus is bad.

https://www.neowin.net/news/huawei-mate-20-review-great-all-around-but-it-lives-in-the-shadow-of-the-pro/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/huawei-mate-20-review/

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe, when it comes to cameras, the Nokia 9 will change the game. We'll know more in about two weeks. However, I suggest a last year's generation device. One thing is you can save up money, the other is you will not run into still unknown problems. I have been an early adopter many times and I have changed my behaviour because I have seen too many issues.