The past and the future

anurag

Hello,

I browse nsane forums everyday. However, in the past year I have never bothered signing on. Now I have signed on for the third(?) time to ask for some help for a high school project. I hope you people might help.

We have been given an assignment to come up with some predictions of what a day in the life of a high school student would be 50 years from now, in 2056. My teacher said that to help us get an idea of how much things can change, we are to look back at the past 50 years and see how much had changed since then. Indeed, a lot has changed.

Who would have thought in the 1950's that there would be personal computers everywhere and information available at our fingertips? Or, cellular phones that enable us to communicate almost anytime, anywhere? However, it is hard to envision the future. It almost seems like the breakthroughs are done, and next 50 years will be times of technological refining.

I am here to ask what a day in your life was like. What did you expect the future would be like? What kind of technology was available then, that has changed nowadays? People replying do not have to be in high school 50 years ago, as long as the reply is informative of the changes taking place.

I do not know anyone who was in high school about that time in my family, so I turn now to people from forums. If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated. I would also like to point out that this project is based more on a scientific point of view rather than a social one.

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This forum prolly isn't the best place to find people who where in high school ~1950s. Infact the internet in general isn't. Maybe a google search will reveal something about life in schools in the '50s?

I think i overdid the fact that i wanted past experiences. As soemone in the other forum pointed out, science cannot be predicted by studing the part, but rather looking at the current needs.

Therefore anyone who has predictions/expectations as to what technology the future would have is welcome to share his/her ideas.

I had posted this on 2 other forums, and got some exellent sugesstions.

Thanks.

In addition, i found these sites after some research.

http://www.theonion.com/2056-06-22/

http://www.nickbostrom.com/2050/world.html

Archived