Gina Haspel sworn in as CIA's first female director

steven36

Acting CIA Director Gina Haspel was formally sworn in as the next director of the nation's top spy agency at CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia on Monday. Haspel, to a loud crowd of applause, said that she was "truly honored to have this opportunity to lead the best workforce in government."

https://s7d7.turboimg.net/sp/b5df6f78dfb2404c50c9612fc6990621/gettyimages-961020444.jpg

On Thursday, the Senate voted, 54-45, to confirm Haspel, one day after the Senate Intelligence Committee, in a 10-5 vote, reported her nomination favorably. Overall, six Democrats voted in support of her candidacy. Two Republicans, Sens. Flake and Paul, opposed it.

During her remarks, Haspel noted that it had been nearly 50 years since a CIA operations officer like her rose up through the ranks to become the agency's director. "And after the last few months, I know why that is," she says, referring to her tough confirmation process.

Haspel's past connection to enhanced interrogation and her current views on the morality of the program made up the overwhelming focus of her Senate confirmation. 

"It took courage for her to say 'yes' in the face of a lot of very negative politics and what was supposed to be a negative vote, but I'll tell you, when you testified before the committee, it was over," President Trump remarked at the ceremony.

Haspel called her over three decades of service at the agency "more than a career, it's been a calling."

"I recommit that I will do everything in my power to justify the faith President Trump and the American people have placed in us," said Haspel telling staff at the CIA that "we cannot rest on our laurels." The agency must constantly learn, adjust and improve.

Mr. Trump meanwhile called Haspel a "very special person," saying there's "no one in this country better qualified for this extraordinary office than you." Mr. Trump noted the loud applause for Haspel throughout the ceremony, saying she has the "universal respect and admiration of her colleagues at CIA and throughout government."

The president said that Haspel now leads the agency into its "next great chapter," adding that she assumes the role of director at a "crucial moment in our history."

Source

• Views 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived