It's not just you, we're all living in the United States of Anxiety

tao

Feeling more anxious these days? You've got plenty of company.

A new survey from the American Psychiatric Assn. reveals that 39% of Americans feel more anxious now than they did a year ago. That's more than double the 19% of Americans who feel less anxious now than at this time last year. (Another 39% of survey respondents said their anxiety level is about the same, and 3% weren't sure.)

Worries about safety topped the list of anxieties, with 36% of Americans describing themselves as extremely anxious about "keeping myself or my family safe." About 31% said they were "somewhat anxious" on this score.

Financial fears were close behind. The prospect of paying bills and other expenses made 35% of survey respondents feel extremely anxious, and 32% said it made them somewhat anxious."

And then there were concerns about health. The 28% of Americans who reported being extremely anxious about their medical condition were joined by 39% who said they were somewhat anxious about it.

All this angst contributed to a 5-point increase in the country's "national anxiety score," the psychiatry group reported this week in conjunction with its annual meeting in New York City. The metric, which is measured on a scale from 0 to 100, rose from 46 in 2017 to 51 in 2018.

There seems to be plenty of anxiety to go around.

The APA noted that anxiety was up among men and women, among people of various racial and ethnic groups, and among adults of all ages.

Generationally speaking, the most anxious Americans are millennials, the survey found. But in the past year, anxiety increased more for Baby Boomers than for millennials or for members of Generation X.

America suffers from an anxiety gender gap, according to the poll. Among adults younger than 50, 38% of men and 57% of women said they had become more anxious in the past year. They were joined by 24% of men and 39% of women ages 50 and older.

People of color scored 11 points higher on the anxiety scale than white Americans, the APA said.

The contentious political climate is a significant source of anxiety for a majority of Americans, the survey found. One in five respondents said they were extremely anxious about "the impact of politics on my daily life," and 36% said they were somewhat anxious about it.

And anxiety seems to follow Americans wherever they go. Relationships with family, friends and co-workers made 20% of respondents feel extremely anxious and 27% of them feel somewhat anxious.

These findings are based on a nationally representative sample of 1,004 adults, who answered questions about anxiety during late March. Their responses were compared with results from a similar survey conducted in April of 2017. The poll's margin of error is 3.1 percentage points.

"Increased stress and anxiety can significantly impact many aspects of people's lives," Dr. Anita Everett, president of the American Psychiatric Assn., said in a statement. Her prescription for reducing stress includes "regular exercise, relaxation, healthy eating and time with friends and family."

< Here >

• Replies 7
  • Views 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was experiencing  this same problem.  As soon as I stopped watching the News on TV,  my anxiety went away.  Maybe this will work for others.  Perhaps someone can explain why watching TV News may cause anxiety .

38 minutes ago, flash48 said:

Perhaps someone can explain why watching TV News may cause anxiety .

38 minutes ago, flash48 said:

I was experiencing  this same problem.  As soon as I stopped watching the News on TV,  my anxiety went away.  Maybe this will work for others.  Perhaps someone can explain why watching TV News may cause anxiety .

Most of the time some good pills help better than the fake news about anxiety , News is bad for the brain .  Other than to use it to criticize other nations what good is it  because 99% the  journalist dont have a clue  and gets paid if it's true or not. And 99% of these posters on message boards  just want have a voice because they dont have no authority  in real life . Because if they had one they would not come around and bore us with the fake news . :tooth:

Traumatic events in the news Causes spikes in stress

Think again before feeling guilty for not keeping up with current events. A national survey conducted by NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the Harvard School of Public Health found that watching, reading, or listening to the news caused people greater stress and anxiety. Published online by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation on July 7, 2014, the study was part of an ongoing series on public opinion.

Polling for Stress

Including more than 2,500 participants, the study polled adults 18 years old and older, assessing the occurrence of stress in their personal lives, perceived effects and causes of stress, along with their coping techniques and general attitude towards stress. Almost half of the participants reported experiencing an anxiety-inducing event within the past year and one in four admitted to having a significant amount of stress within the past month alone.

The Media's Influence on Our Mental Health

The quarter of those who reported experiencing a great deal of stress within the month mentioned watching, reading, or listening to the news as one of their biggest daily stressors. This discovery isn't the first of its kind; it supports previous research that suggests that media has a significant influence on our mental and emotional health.

A similar study that observed the public reactions of the Boston bombings provides more insight on these findings. "People who exposed themselves to six or more hours of media daily actually reported more acute stress symptoms than did people who were directly exposed," Alison Holman, professor at University of California Irvine and author of the study, told NPR. She suggests that the repetitive showing of traumatic clips and images that are likely to be displayed on news outlets can be the cause for such extreme reactions.

Who's at Fault?

Researchers note that news media may not be solely at fault for this kind of stress—consumers are equally responsible. Media outlets can help by announcing trigger warnings before reporting any traumatic stories. Correspondingly, consumers should avoid binging on sensationalist news stories. While studies have shown that it is a biological instinct to pay close attention to potential threats, obsessively researching traumatic events can wear down our mental health.

Date of original publication:
Updated on: November 10, 2015

The more you stay away from the News the better off you are,  when I posted the news i tried to post good news  but there is not very much of it , and if i posted  bad news it most of the time effected someone else besides me . :lol:

3 hours ago, steven36 said:

Media outlets can help by announcing trigger warnings before reporting any traumatic stories.

Yes I like this idea.  There should be a warning before every TV News program. :D

Much thanks for your post.  I now feel better.

you kinda have to also understand..... the people in the world doing all the nefarious shite in the world would absolutely LOVE and constantly  work at ways ad means to get  you and everyone else not partaking in the news every day

8 hours ago, dMog said:

you kinda have to also understand..... the people in the world doing all the nefarious shite in the world would absolutely LOVE and constantly  work at ways ad means to get  you and everyone else not partaking in the news every day

I dont see this at all, even some of the worlds  worst killers all wanted media attention . Most of the time the news don't report nothing tell after it's happened and it's too late if it's true. Even if they report and event that lead up to something 9 times out of 10 they get it wrong if you go back and research it , ether it  didn't ever happen at all , are it happened totally different .They will use anybody for a source even if they just made it up to condemn something or someone . Most of the time it's the very people that are protecting you're well being that don't want things leaked to the media that are classified. Back before there was a internet   we were just fine with what little news they was the media don't know nothing no how tell after it happens they don't have esp and don't know nothing other than what some other person told them true are not they don't have a mind of there own.

Law enforcement are the ones criminals try to hide from because they solve crimes, the media just reports about it after it happens and report a lot of stuff that would be best left alone . Talk is cheap and that's what the news media is paid to do. The problem is people are just nosy and with  the internet  they can read watch and listen to true things and loads of untrue things stuff they didn't even have access too tell  the 1990s . You can't tell me that fake news  is good for you're mental heath because if you believe it that's makes you delusional and it causes people to get upset that don't believe it because they know it's untrue.  And even true news reading about killing and other bad crimes makes some people very upset and it also plants bad ideas into others minds that are not  mentally stable to begin  with and they go out and commit crimes of there own or copy cat crimes.

@steven... i was referring more to the banks that steal investors cash or insider trading or counties and leaders that do wrong on a scale to their own people or other countries undreamed of a generation ago...not the run of the mill mass murderers and daily gangbanging activities...if you live in a democracy, the free press is the only entity that  has and will prevent leaders from TAKING  that much power...and yes the powers that be do try and will continue to try and do this in such a way as to have one day wake up and ask how the hell di they do that ...

ThisPC666

what i want to know is which social class has more anxieties. 

im guessing its the middle-class.

Archived