Help with Resident Evil 4

sanjoa

Hi guys! I have a problem with Resident Evil 4: the videos are not working. A friend of mine's installed the game at his PC and they worked. So on, I have the problem in my PC. How can I solve this?

(ADMINS: If this post does not go in here, please move it to the correspondant section and delete this line. Thanks)

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

What problem are you getting? What GPU do you have? Can you open the game's installation directory and specify what are the video file's extention, example .avi.

I'm not able to watch the videos while playing the game. What's GPU? Videos extension is .mpg

• Administrator

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit. Commonly known as Graphics Card (nVIDIA or ATI or similar).

Do you get any errors? Did you checked game's options? Well I don't think that mpg format can cause any trouble.

nVIDIA GFORCE 6100 integrated at the motherboard. I don't get any error. Game options are OK.

• Administrator

Does game troubleshooter or readme says anythin about the problem?

Is it the same version of the game that your friend installed?

If yes...

It must be a problem with your PC such as...

1) You may not have the latest DirectX version installed on your PC and it's recommended that you install the one on the game's DVD or download it from nsane.down.

2) You may not have the latest nVidia driver installed in your PC download it from nVidia site or from nsane.down.

3) It could be a virus or stuff like that, that damaged the system files (Could be from internet, USBs, etc....... and not from the DVD) so you may have to re-install the Windows.

If no...

Bring it from your friend.

If the problem is still existed and you have a PS2 buy one for it (I played it on PS2 - BIG DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!).

-Shmit

Is it the same version of the game that your friend installed?

If yes...

It must be a problem with your PC such as...

1) You may not have the latest DirectX version installed on your PC and it's recommended that you install the one on the game's DVD or download it from nsane.down.

2) You may not have the latest nVidia driver installed in your PC download it from nVidia site or from nsane.down.

3) It could be a virus or stuff like that, that damaged the system files (Could be from internet, USBs, etc....... and not from the DVD) so you may have to re-install the Windows.

If no...

Bring it from your friend.

If the problem is still existed and you have a PS2 buy one for it (I played it on PS2 - BIG DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!).

-Shmit

1) I have the latest DirectX version downloaded from nsane.down.

2) I have the latest nVidia driver downloaded from nVidia site.

3) There is no virus in here and Windows is working OK.

It could be silly but install the latest K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and launch the game after the restart (It might be decoding problem).

may it be because it needs a GForce 6600 and I have a 6100 integrated at the motherboard? I have the last K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed.

• Administrator

Well as I wrote before, it can be codec problem. Try reinstallin both the game and K-lite.

I don't have the game DVD and I have recently installed K-Little. I think the problem is the codec and Windows Media Player because Media Player Classic can reproduce the videos with the audio and WMP can only reproduce the video without audio. (See attached file to see the codec)

• Administrator

Well I don't think it may work but I feel you associate all of your files(especially mpg) to Media Player Classic. And try the game again.

Note: The files may have audio/video problems if they are corrupted, Media Player Classic and VLC can play corrupted files.

may be there's a bug in K-little because it has installed out-of-date MPEG2 codec, AC3 filter and real filter...

The min requirement is GF6600 which supports Shader Model 3.0 ... GF6100 doesn't support SM 3.0, then it won't show you the picture.

I'm 99% sure it's the problem. Your Graphic Card is just outdated.

EDIT: Where did you get the GF6600 minimum? I just read the sys. reqs

SUPPORTED OS: Windows 2000/XP (only)
PROCESSOR: 1.4 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon (2.4 GHz Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon recommended)
RAM: 256 MB (512 MB recommended)
VIDEO CARD: 128 MB DirectX 9.0c-compliant AGP / PCI Express w/ Shader 2.0 or higher (256 MB recommended for High Graphics Detail support) (see supported list*)
SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compliant (or better)
DIRECTX VERSION: DirectX 9.0c or higher (included on disc)
DVD-ROM: 4x or faster DVD-ROM
HARD DRIVE SPACE: 7 GB (full install only)
PERIPHERALS SUPPORTED: Windows-compatible keyboard, Windows-compatible gamepad (4-axis dual analog sticks with 12 or more buttons required)

*Supported Video Cards at Time of Release
NVIDIA GeForce 6 / 7 families
ATI Radeon X series (X200 NOT supported)

I also read your post again and I'm afraid I misunderstood. The videos are not playing? Meaning like the intro etc. ? Maybe you installed a slim version which cuts all the videos in order to make the game smaller?

And again, you might want to recheck the system reqs, see if anything doesn't match.

• Administrator

Well the game needs Pixel Shader 2 not 3 as per the "code".

Well the game needs Pixel Shader 2 not 3 as per the "code".

Yes, I clarified that in the "EDIT" part. I thought it was SM3 because he told GF6600 is the minimum (the lowest model which supports SM3 I believe), which it's not.

• Administrator

I would say that if you keep graphics of the game to the min, any current generation Graphics card with Pixel Shader 2 will able to play the game. Yea I saw your edit post.

I would say that if you keep graphics of the game to the min, any current generation Graphics card with Pixel Shader 2 will able to play the game. Yea I saw your edit post.

Untrue if the game absolutely requires SM3. If it's optional, then yes you can. Otherwise, no... My GPU upgrade was due to SM3 and only that, because almost every next gen game requires it.

But it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Untrue if the game absolutely requires SM3. If it's optional, then yes you can. Otherwise, no... My GPU upgrade was due to SM3 and only that, because almost every next gen game requires it.

what's SM3? May the problem be related to the fact that I have not installed the game into the same drive where Windows folder is?

• Administrator

The official game's requirements tells PS 2 is enough.

No need to install a program into the main drive. ;)

what's SM3? May the problem be related to the fact that I have not installed the game into the same drive where Windows folder is?

No it doesn't cause problems. Read the last page, there you will find out that it's Shader Model 3.0 (google it if interested... otherwise in you're case it's not necessary).

Archived