Good firewall?

I Am Negan

I Am Negan

Anybody got a good recommendation for a Non-hipps firewall. I don’t care for windows firewall control. Also it must work on windows 10.

• Replies 38
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I Am Negan

I have comodo, and its a hipps

Isnt glassware a paid version?

There's a software that's not exactly a Firewall called Proxifier (by Initex)

It's a proxy tunnel that forces applications to go through the path you set :

For example you can set rules for process names, hostnames / IPs, ports, or all at the same time.

You have the Allow, Block or Proxy option :

You can forcefully make an app go through a proxy / block it, and just that app if you want (e.g. a game, a browser etc).

The IP / domain names option supports wildcards (* char)

You can look it up to find the website, latest version is 3.31 on Windows, they also have a Mac version.

The software is licensed as shareware.

There not really many standalone firewalls to chose from like they was back  before windows 8.1 most  Windows 10 firewall control,  Windows  firewall control. and tinywall all piggyback off Windows native firewall . Comodo and GlassWire are some the only true standalone firewalls left.  They are other firewalls such as come in  ESET , Kaspersky , Avast. etc  witch don't add a extra layer of hips only it has the hips in it that comes in there Antivirus as well . 2001-2011 I tested all kinds of Firewalls then 2011-2014   i just used Windows native firewall .

I tried Windows  firewall control in 2014 and i didn't like it  so I switched back to Windows native firewall  then I found Windows 8 firewall control witch is now Windows 10 firewall control in 2014 and here it is  2018 and i still use Windows 10 firewall control and never looked back . B)

If your only requirements are non-HIPS and compatibility with Windows 10, almost every firewall should work for you — very few firewall such as COMODO and Online Armor ship with HIPS. Such firewalls are among the most effective purely due to their HIPS component.

Personally, when I hunt for a firewall, my own requirements are as follows:—

• The policy of block-all-but-allow-selected-programs should be available
  • The policy of block-selected-IPs-of-allowed-programs should be available
  • The policy of allow-selected-IPs-of-blocked-programs should be available
  • The facility of password-protecting the program should be available
  • The firewall logs should be intuitive with the availability of sorting and filtering
  • The firewall should start-up with Windows ahead of other program to be able to audit them for access
  • The firewall should be leak proof
  • The firewall should be light on system resources
  • The firewall should have the capability to prevent other apps. & programs from changing User rules
  • The facility of entering all the IPs within one single rule should be available
  • The firewall should be able to operate autonomously without popping-up notifications
  • The firewall should be capable of preventing cache poisoning and ARP spoofing

Unfortunately, all of these above considerations are available together only on firewalls boasting of HIPS. However, there's only one firewall which brings me almost all of these features in it's freeware form (meaning — without even having to be activated/licensed.)

strikerfox

Privatefirewall 7.0 i use it for years  simpel and good +its Freeware

straycat19

Another free firewall is Free FireWall.

I don't run any AV programs and therefore want a firewall that does not include a heavy AV engine.

I have an old system that is running a firewall that no longer exists, Agnitum Outpost.  It is the most configurable firewall I ever found and even though it hasn't been updated in a couple years it still does its job.  It allows configuration for every program, including network rules, leak protection settings, IP blocking, port blocking, and much more.  It also allows the changing of protection for the system on the fly, from Block All to Allow All.  It also blocks any program from running that has not been allowed to run before or one that has been updated.  I used it for many years and when Agnitum sold out to Yandex and the program was discontinued I kept it on the machine because I liked it.

I have various paid firewalls on other systems such as Fort Knox Firewall, Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus, and WinPatrol Firewall.  Just keep in mind that the more a firewall does the more skill you need to set it up properly and maintain it.  An improperly set up firewall is like not having a firewall at all.

Hi,

Windows Firewall Control is discontinued so I wouldn’t recommand it.

TinyWall doesn’t seems to be updated anymore either.

You can deactivate COMODO’s HIPS feature.

Windows 10 Firewall Control is one of the most advanced pure and lightweight firewall but hard to master (paid) : http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

An good alternative to TinyWall would be Simplewall (lightweight too but free) : https://github.com/henrypp/simplewall

I Am Negan
4 hours ago, Nastrahl said:

Hi,

TinyWall doesn’t seems to be updated anymore either.

You can deactivate COMODO’s HIPS feature.

Windows 10 Firewall Control is one of the most advanced pure and lightweight firewall but hard to master (paid) : http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

An good alternative to TinyWall would be Simplewall (lightweight too but free) : https://github.com/henrypp/simplewall

Windows firewall control is not abandon .

P.S.: WFC is not abandoned. It will receive fixes for critical bugs but new features will not be implemented anymore in WFC. New features will be part of the new product on which I will start working from July.

9 hours ago, strikerfox said:

Privatefirewall 7.0 i use it for years  simpel and good +its Freeware

It works on Windows 10?

i tried free firewall straycat19 but it didn’t seem to keep programs from phoneing home that good.

@Kerry4444  I have to ask, what are the reasons you don't care for Windows Firewall Contro?

5 hours ago, Nastrahl said:

As has been stated, that's nonsense.

I Am Negan
1 hour ago, spudboy said:

@Kerry4444  I have to ask, what are the reasons you don't care for Windows Firewall Contro?

I’m thinking about using it now. It seems to be pretty intricate from further investigation. 

... However, there's only one firewall which brings me almost all of these features in it's freeware form (meaning — without even having to be activated/licensed.)

which is ? ....

:ph34r:

37 minutes ago, Kerry4444 said:

I’m thinking about using it now. It seems to be pretty intricate from further investigation. 

I have it set to Medium Filtering mode & to Display Notifications rather than Learning Mode & nothing goes in/out without my knowledge unless I have a rule specifically saying it's okay. :)

EDIT:

The only "problem" one may have is with Windows store apps not installing or updating if you have the Secure Rules option enabled. In which case there is a setting to set keys to enable/disable Secure Rules. For example, if I'm going to be installing or updating any Store apps, I just press Ctrl+Shift+S to disable, then again to enable when finished in the store. Although this behavior is by nature, as described in WFC documentation so it's not actually a "problem" so to speak. It's simply being secure.

55 minutes ago, Rivenson said:
12 hours ago, dcs18 said:

... However, there's only one firewall which brings me almost all of these features in it's freeware form (meaning — without even having to be activated/licensed.)

which is ? ....

:ph34r:

It's Windows Firewall Control (WFC) — didn't mention it since Kerry4444 had a very firm stand against WFC . . . . so, thought it best to opt for a informed discussion where he can make-up his own mind as opposed to me trying to influence him through a debate. 6HUIPBa.gif

16 hours ago, Kerry4444 said:

I don’t care for windows firewall control.

I Am Negan
32 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

It's Windows Firewall Control (WFC) — didn't mention it since Kerry4444 had a very firm stand against WFC . . . . so, thought it best to opt for a informed discussion where he can make-up his own mind as opposed to me trying to influence him through a debate. 6HUIPBa.gif

Hide contents

I was a little premature on my verdict. Didn’t really realize what it was capable of.

I Am Negan

Installed WFC, Add so far so good. The GUI is very attractive, and very easy to operate.

WFC is just a front end for windows firewall :)

Kerry4444 had a very firm stand against WFC .

It's been an essential on all systems I install Windows Firewall Control (WFC

I Am Negan
12 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

WFC is just a front end for windows firewall :)

It's been an essential on all systems I install Windows Firewall Control (WFC

I’ve seen the light. LOL

fnsfernando

I recommend the "Windows Firewall Control 5.3.1.0" light and efficient....

Archived