GIMP 2.10.0

Astron

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle
15 minutes ago, jvidal said:

it seems the 32 bit architecture is slowly dying (just like 16 bit did a while ago...)

Yes, I think so. And actually happened already many years before, the last I really saw was around 2012.

29 minutes ago, jvidal said:

it seems the 32 bit architecture is slowly dying (just like 16 bit did a while ago...)

There was a 16-bit??

Nice release,   it had been in  beta since v2.9. Most PCs made in  the last 10 years  are x64 anyways  ,  The newest PCs i have here with 32 bit is a HP laptop that came with Vista and upgraded to Windows 7 and also I have and x64 one here that came with Vista .  They was and 64 bit version of XP but was not widely ever used . That was the biggest problem with Vista when it came out there were so many  old XP boxes  were it didn't run good on .  Windows 7 was the same way and that's why you had millions still clinging to XP  Vista to 7 on the other hand had relatively little change, hardware and drivers had also gotten better and old software was generally replaced.  It's took them 10 years  to even to start phasing out  32 bit windows software  were in Linux  if you run a x64 version 99% of you're software is native x64  for many years now  and there phasing out 32 bit  Linux all together . Were on Windows there still is tons of software that only run in the  Program Files x86 still  just like  it was in 1998 .By the time Windows get all native x64 apps they won't make windows with a win32 subsystem anymore and will be replaced by store apps.  :lol:

Most of the functionality was previously available in the experimental GIMP 2.9 series of releases, but this is the first time it has been available in a stable build.

It had been beta since  November 30th, 2015

http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/11/the-gimp-team-unveils-gimp-2-9/

They should of waited tell now to release the 1st version of Windows 10... :P

I still use win72 x32 to update old PCs for people who are still running XP and can't/won't buy a new pc...

Vista was pure crap. The same PCs were orders of magnitude faster with 7 than with vista. Vista really was a piece of crap (similar to Win ME, another piece of junk).

And now, we got win10, another piece of crap, but we're screwed, very soon there will be no alternative...

Yes there is always alternatives there is like 4 billion people on the internet and only about 1.5 billion even use windows .  Windows Vista SP2 was not bad at all, but by the time Windows 7 came out and they made drivers and programs that worked for it  they changed the name to Windows 7 witch was really Windows Vista SP3 to sell  it. All  versions every since have been based on Vista . Vista 7 , Vista 8 and Vista 10.  Windows 7 was  full of bugs tell SP1 aka Vista SP4 came out .  

I had  a new PC with Vista SP2 x64 ( now it has Windows 7 on it), it  played videos  1080p x264 without any lag and encoded a movie in about a hour and a half, something a  x32 XP box never could do . Also  I bought a new XP box in like 2010 with 2 gb of ram 1 gen atom and put Windows 7 on it  and still it never had the power to play above 480p x264 very good.  I  blew it up and junked it  after about 2 years of using Windows 7 on it. Vista made Microsoft more money than Windows 8 ever did even . I had  2 Dells with XP from 2001-2010 they lasted me 9 years  after that i left XP and never looked back because i'm not interested in x32  , We have one old laptop x32 Windows 7 but i don't use it, they use it for looking at the weather and paying bills is about all. Now days you can buy a android TV box that plays and streams  4k for a few 100 dollars and do most of you're computing on a smartphone .  I paid over a grand for my 1st XP box  and I had to put my own extra ram and DVD Burner in it, that costed me extra . :P

Windows 8 was not noob friendly like all other versions of windows was, you have to know how to  set it up , It requires a little know how .:lol:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2476464/microsoft-windows/did-microsoft-just-admit-windows-8-is-its-worst-operating-system-ever-.html

3 hours ago, Kerry4444 said:

There was a 16-bit??

Windows 3.1 was 16 bit 

Honestl;y thers's windows 10 and the Open Sourced OS.. As they say 32 bit Win7 is not supported on the driver level of newer processors and hardware..

I'd still prefer 8.1 to 10 for the moment

Israeli_Eagle
4 hours ago, jvidal said:

I still use win72 x32 to update old PCs for people who are still running XP and can't/won't buy a new pc...

Vista was pure crap. The same PCs were orders of magnitude faster with 7 than with vista. Vista really was a piece of crap (similar to Win ME, another piece of junk).

And now, we got win10, another piece of crap, but we're screwed, very soon there will be no alternative...

Simply upgrade the machines to 8 GB RAM (or more) and then you have no problems with Win7 x64. :coolwink:

And I fully agree, Win8.x and Win10 are pure crap! Only metro GUI trash (only squares for half machines without GPU), pure spyware and created for people of IQ cow level...

1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Simply upgrade the machines to 8 GB RAM (or more) and then you have no problems with Win7 x64. :coolwink:

And I fully agree, Win8.x and Win10 are pure crap! Only metro GUI trash (only squares for half machines without GPU), pure spyware and created for people of IQ cow level...

LOL  many people use windows 7 with  1  or 2gb of ram and never had any trouble

According to Microsoft, Windows 7 requires PCs to have:

• 1GB or RAM minimum for 32-bit versions of Windows 7.
  • 2GB of RAM minimum for 64-bit versions of Windows 7.

In all actuality, the RAM requirements that Microsoft recommends are a pretty good standard to go by. 1GB or RAM should be the low minimum for running Windows 7. 2GB of RAM is probably not needed to run Windows 7 64-bit, but it would make multitasking better, and speed things up a bit.

Windows 7 will install with a low amount of RAM. However, don’t expect it to run very smoothly with anything less than 1GB.

Now that we have mentioned the minimum RAM memory requirements for Microsoft Windows 7, check out the max RAM configurations for Windows 7.

Now, that is quite a few options you have. As you can see from the above chart, the higher the version of Windows 7 64-bit you are running, the more RAM that is officially supported. The 32-bit versions of Windows 7 are all capped at 4 GB.

32-bit version operating systems are quite limited in RAM support. Thus, you need to make sure that you don’t go out and buy a 12GB RAM upgrade for a Windows 7 32-bit computer.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/windows-7-ram-requirements-how-much-memory-do-i-need/

Buying  8  GB of RAM for for 32 bit PC is a waste of money because there capped to 4 GB .. The reason I had trouble using Windows 7 on the PC i had back some years ago was the chip that came in it could not handle anything more than Windows XP  very well,  if you have a OK processor  2 GB of RAM works fine in Windows 7 for normal use . Not so good in Windows 8 or Windows 10.  If you use Linux you can use a low end PC and apps will run twice as fast as they will on a PC with newer windows with the same amount of RAM . When  you start talking about building  systems  with 8 GB  or more you're talking about needed for gaming or encoding Hevc  fast witch the latter can be done  in the cloud and it is how most release groups do x265 . Even Skylake  has very limited support  for HEVC/4K  it will be years before PCs will  be optimized to be as fast as they are at processing 1080p/ H264 witch has been good since Vista .  While  cheap TV Boxes can process 4K/ Hevc just fine . And whenever PCs  get good 4k support they want support Windows 7 by then. There's no future in the past.  As far as gaming whenever Vulkan  becomes mainstream Linux will be just as good as gaming as windows as well with less RAM than needed on Windows.

Vulkan is already available, which removes any advantage that Windows might have had in the past beacuse of DX being ahead of OpenGL. VR related development in Vulkan drivers / Linux graphics stack is now active as well.

I use optimized  open source drivers in Linux  for over a year now and 1080p hevc play better than it do on windows even,  without going out and paying for new hardware . :lol:

Israeli_Eagle
24 minutes ago, steven36 said:

LOL  many people use windows 7 with  1  or 2gb of ram and never had any trouble

LMAO... :lmao:
Either they do almost nothing ever (only as a browser toaster) or dead slow (based on virtual memory).

And actually every PC and CPU has since 2004 the capability already of 64-Bit computing and became standard, only as OS became a bit later and it was standard only at 2009. So actually a real '32 Bit PC' you find only in museums.

Anyway... Here is the topic 'GIMP 2.10.0' and a normal modern 64-Bit PC & OS is needed for that!!

27 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

LMAO... :lmao:
Either they do almost nothing ever (only as a browser toaster) or dead slow (based on virtual memory).

And actually every PC and CPU has since 2004 the capability already of 64-Bit computing and became standard, only as OS became a bit later and it was standard only at 2009. So actually a real '32 Bit PC' you find only in museums.

Anyway... Here is the topic 'GIMP 2.10.0' and a normal modern 64-Bit PC & OS is needed for that!!

Yes the PC the last PC i bought with XP  had x64 support  but the chip still could not handle Windows 7 x64 very well  with a 1st Gen atom . And 'GIMP is nothing special to Linux users  because it comes already installed in many OSes that only requires 2GB RAM  x86 or x64 . :P

And they still have x86 version for v2.10 for Linux

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp/+packages

Gimp v2.10 for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x86 

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-standalone/+build/14803353

Israeli_Eagle
11 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Yes the PC the last PC i bought with XP  had x64 support  but the chip still could not handle Windows 7 x64 very well  with a 1st Gen atom . And 'GIMP is nothing special to Linux users  because it comes already installed in many OSes that only requires 2GB RAM  x86 or x64 . :P

And they still have x86 version for v2.10 for Linux

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp/+packages

• Intel Atom means Laptop and far of any real PC. :coolwink:
  • Maybe you could also compile to 8-Bit... ;) But 64-Bit is not only made for without RAM limits but also to execute 64-Bit code which is much faster too!!
  • Btw... GIMP is also limited and quite slow without a real GPU.

55 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

• Intel Atom means Laptop and far of any real PC. :coolwink:
  • Maybe you could also compile to 8-Bit... ;) But 64-Bit is not only made for without RAM limits but also to execute 64-Bit code which is much faster too!!
  • Btw... GIMP is also limited and quite slow without a real GPU.

You said

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

Witch is not true at all, this is only true if you use  windows . Gimp updates will be available in x86 Linux at lest for the next 5 years .

jiohdi1960

Gimp is faster on Linux because everything is faster on Linux.. there is no anti-virus gumming up the works and checking everything as is needed in win-doh!s.

Fauxm

Anecdotal, but all of my friends that use Windows always complain of GIMP's loading speed, but on Linux, I've never really had a problem, even on my not very powerful laptop. This could have something to do with EXT4 being a faster/better filesystem and loading files more quickly than NTFS, but that's speculation.

jji7skyline

Gimp is fast on Linux, even on extremely low-spec computers (think 1Ghz dual core with 1GB RAM).

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/3r49fj/noob_question_is_gimp_much_faster_if_i_switch_to/

It loads slow on Windows  and fast on Linux,  I tested it many times and thats just the way it is . I use Windows for programs i can't use in Linux  if it's a native Linux app i'm sure not going to boot into windows to use it because most stuff runs faster in Linux . :lol:

win7 is unusable with less than 2GB of RAM, even the 32 bit version.

And I too prefer win81 over win10, win10 is filled with crap programs and services than not only spy on you, they make yor PC VERY SLOW.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Crazycanuk said:

content has been merged

I decided to open new topics because last time staffs seemed to overlook my post for the update (my last post in this topic before it getting merged). By the way, welcome back, nice to see again. Regards :)

Archived