Gmail’s new design will include a ‘Confidential Mode’

Matrix

Gmail’s new design will include a ‘Confidential Mode’

New feature gives you control over how emails are used

twarren_gmailconfidentialmode3.0.jpg Gmail Confidential Mode

Gmail on the web is getting a big update in the coming weeks with a new design and features, but Google is also introducing a new Confidential Mode. The Verge revealed the new design earlier this week, alongside features like quick reply to emails, the ability to snooze emails until later, and a new sidebar to place calendar appointments side by side with messages. We’ve now learned Google will also introduce “Confidential Mode,” which lets Gmail users stop recipients from forwarding certain emails, or restricts the ability to copy, download, or print them.

Google will also let Gmail users require a passcode to open emails, which will be generated via SMS, or set an expiration date on sent emails. The features are very similar to some found in Microsoft’s full Outlook application, and Microsoft is also adding the ability to restrict emails on its Outlook.com service. These features will largely appeal to businesses that want more control over how emails are used by recipients, but they won’t stop people from taking a screenshot or a photo of an email.

twarren_gmailconfidentialmode2.png

Google has confirmed its Gmail update is coming soon, and a message to an early access program revealed that it should be available in the coming weeks. Google’s I/O developer conference starts on May 8th this year, and it’s likely that this new Gmail design will be part of the show, alongside some updates to other Google web services.

Source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DonyMach1 said:

but they won’t stop people from taking a screenshot or a photo of an email

Because of this I think they are wasting their time with this idea.

Good luck stopping Thunderbird from saving confidential emails :rolleyes:

Unless they restrict access to such mails to the web version, but as @DonyMach1 said people can still take screenshots.

Unless it's a cooperative feature where both the sender & receiver are OK not to keep these mails, it's not going to work.

Google should market this as a collaborative feature of mail expiration.

15 minutes ago, Bausch said:

If someone wants an email to be really confidential, they should not be using Gmail in the first place.

Could you suggest some other alternatives that are better secure then?

Encrypt your mail before sending

e.g.  .BрgLеjgТЕВSLjSРХ.MВеzgТJLеBMgLрgХрРSzХ.MgBНigALgТЕеsеMВНLigТНSХРSzGНSg

6 hours ago, nsan3 said:

Could you suggest some other alternatives that are better secure then?

Not really. All free email services can and do read your mail.  Nothing is for free and they need to make money.

For the most part, it does not bother me, personally. But if someone feels they need a confidential feature and is worried about screenshots and photos, then this definitely not the service they should use.

Corporations should have their own, in house servers.

15 minutes ago, Bausch said:

Not really. All free email services can and do read your mail.  Nothing is for free and they need to make money.

For the most part, it does not bother me, personally. But if someone feels they need a confidential feature and is worried about screenshots and photos, then this definitely not the service they should use.

Corporations should have their own, in house servers.

I have heard good things about Riseup, Protonmail, Tutanota, Lavamail, but yeah, I am not quite sure about their services and the privacy structure that is in place.

4 hours ago, nsan3 said:

I have heard good things about Riseup, Protonmail, Tutanota, Lavamail, but yeah, I am not quite sure about their services and the privacy structure that is in place.

These services provide you with Privacy but not Anonymity, since by using uncommon mail providers you draw more attention to yourself than anyone else :

People who want to be anonymous should use gmail / hotmail with PGP and inconspicuous mail subjects that don't draw attention.

Privacy is when we know what you're doing but you still don't want people to see you doing it (We know what you do in the bathroom, but you still don't want us to see you)

Secrecy is when you want nobody to see you doing something let alone know what you're doing in the first place (Eg. You don't me to see you taking a shower, but you also don't want me to know you're in the bathroom in the first place.

Anonymity is a different scheme : It's about blending with the general population / trend. You do what everyone does, buy the same cars, phones, clothes so you don't draw attention to you and essentially become invisible. In this case, you use gmail like everyone else, you use Chrome / Firefox (no Brave Browser : It's uncommon) etc.

These mail providers only provide Privacy since we can still know you're using an uncommon mail service (bye secrecy) and by doing so you make yourself an unique target in any given population set (bye anonymity).

If you want to be anonymous, you have to use gmail like everyone else. Anonymity comes at some loss of freedom (since you have to do what everyone does).

On 4/14/2018 at 6:56 PM, nsan3 said:

I have heard the same too. At least one of my  good friends use Protonmail, for this very reason. I mean no body any disrespect, just voicing out my thoughts, and am very happy to have them disproved. After all, we are all talking on a forum here.

From what I read, and I definitely could be wrong, free services tend to find ways to make money, and the only way for them to do that is by selling their users data. Now, the exact kind of data should vary, but in the end, who knows, the protocol itself is very not secure. On all servers I run, I can read all the emails it processes, sure thing I never do such thing, but big corporations such as Gmail, Bing, etc, they all have AI and can literally do read (according to their ToS') all the communications going through their servers.

pushkargogte

Would like to use this clean interface. Is there any chance for me to become an early access member for gmail beta program?

Archived