XP Pro SP3 (32bit) or Win7 Ultimate OEM (32/64bit)?

DJPrice

I currently have WinXP Pro SP3 on my pc, but I bought a new 500GB HD today so would like to reinstall windows on it, as I have one or two problems with programs not working properly anymore. I recently got hold of Win7 Ultimate OEM 32 & 64bit BIE versions, but I'm not too sure which route I should take. I've been using XP since a year after it was released & obviously have become used to it, but I also like change & was reluctant to go to Vista after hearing many bad things about it when it came out. I would like to try out Win7 at some point, but not too sure if it's still too early in the process to install it & run it, because of drivers not being out or possible problems with software I currently use not working properly or at all. I'm able to use the 64bit version, but again, not sure how programs/drivers will work on it as I've never used a 64bit version of windows or know anyone that has a 64bit version. I'm looking to install a version of windows in the next few hours or maybe tomorrow depending on the input I get here. I did try both 32 & 64bit version in virtualbox & vmware too & both seemed to run fine in both & seemed to activate ok too. Just unsure where I should go! Hopefully from responses I get here, it'll help me make the right decision ^_^

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are asking whether to install Windows 7 x86 or x64....then it should depend on the availability of the installed programs you are using.

Some of the programs might not be comparable with x64.

If your system can handle Windows 7, then go for it.

All the same, here are some of my advice:

1. Hardware

- try searching for compatible drivers for all your components, and test them

2. Programs

- try them in a virtual environment, if they run without trouble, then most likely it will run fine along with Windows 7

Thanks for the info guys. I did reply earlier, but I guess it didn't post as I got a 500 error straight after. I made a list of the programs etc I currently have installed. Maybe you could point me out with anything that I may run in to problems with.

applist.txt

Thanks for the info guys. I did reply earlier, but I guess it didn't post as I got a 500 error straight after. I made a list of the programs etc I currently have installed. Maybe you could point me out with anything that I may run in to problems with.

Yea forums had a problem this morning. It should be fixed now.

As for your dilemma, I recommend Windows7 OEM Ultimate. However not the BIE edition or any other preactivated edition, those are the first to get blacklisted. The best thing is to download the clean MSDN release of Win7, verify the file it correct using the hashes. Then use the softmod loader by Daz or we can help you get your BIOS modified. Read this topic for more details loader / bios mod.

32-bit or 64-bit is up to you depending on how much ram you have. 4GB or more you could use 64bit but 32bit has greater compatibility with programs.

LOL, your list include CachemanXP???

ebooster?? You have ReadyBoost if you use 7

XPLite?? and xp antispy??? LOL

Most, if not all will run in 7.

Yea forums had a problem this morning. It should be fixed now.

As for your dilemma, I recommend Windows7 OEM Ultimate. However not the BIE edition or any other preactivated edition, those are the first to get blacklisted. The best thing is to download the clean MSDN release of Win7, verify the file it correct using the hashes. Then use the softmod loader by Daz or we can help you get your BIOS modified. Read this topic for more details loader / bios mod.

32-bit or 64-bit is up to you depending on how much ram you have. 4GB or more you could use 64bit but 32bit has greater compatibility with programs.

Thanks for your input, making things more clearer to me, so good job I didn't decide to try the BIE version, I decided to burn both versions on to dvd's though, oh well, lol. I currently have 2GB of RAM, but will upgrade to 4GB at some point, just not sure when. I'm just on the MSDN Win7 page now, but the download links are grayed out for me <_<

LOL, your list include CachemanXP???

ebooster?? You have ReadyBoost if you use 7

XPLite?? and xp antispy??? LOL

Most, if not all will run in 7.

What's wrong with CachemanXP, eBoostr, XPLite & XPAntispy? :blink:

I'm just on the MSDN Win7 page now, but the download links are grayed out for me <_<

You can't get it free from MSDN, lol. Read this to help you find and download the proper Win7 disc image. It has all the information you could want to know.

@DJPrice:

Diss the following programs:

1. CachemanXP - the latest is Cacheman7

2. WMP11 - Windows 7 offers WMP12

3. xp-AntiSpy - it's designed for Windows XP

4. XPLite - it's designed for Windows 2000 and XP

I'll tell you a story: I made two partitions because I anticipated I was going to install Windows 7 on the second one day, so when it became RTM I downloaded it an installed it on my second partition with the intention to use it for testing purposes at first and maybe switch later, but after it finished installing I got to installing my programs and drivers(surprisingly just three were needed: Logitech SetPoint, NVIDIA and Realtek(which all worked fine, but even before I installed them everything was working properly, out of the box)) and I started using it. After I had disabled UAC and handed all permissions over to my account(to 'fix'(if you ask me) all those annoying messages meant to 'protect' you) I fell in love with it, I've never used XP since :D

I encountered just one program incompatibility and it was with SRS Audio Sandbox, I guess they should update their software and for now I've found a proper replacement. I'm also very happy with the firewall that comes with it, it's way more advanced than the XP firewall and I didn't even feel the need to install COMODO.

I'm just on the MSDN Win7 page now, but the download links are grayed out for me <_<

You can't get it free from MSDN, lol. Read this to help you find and download the proper Win7 disc image. It has all the information you could want to know.

Lol, I kind of knew, but was hoping there was something there for free! :lol: Thanks for the link :rolleyes:

@DJPrice:

Diss the following programs:

1. CachemanXP - the latest is Cacheman7

2. WMP11 - Windows 7 offers WMP12

3. xp-AntiSpy - it's designed for Windows XP

4. XPLite - it's designed for Windows 2000 and XP

I just saw that Cacheman7 was out, lol. WMP11, xp-Antispy & XPLite were all just in the list as I used YourUninstaller to export the list :P

I'll tell you a story: I made two partitions because I anticipated I was going to install Windows 7 on the second one day, so when it became RTM I downloaded it an installed it on my second partition with the intention to use it for testing purposes at first and maybe switch later, but after it finished installing I got to installing my programs and drivers(surprisingly just three were needed: Logitech SetPoint, NVIDIA and Realtek(which all worked fine, but even before I installed them everything was working properly, out of the box)) and I started using it. After I had disabled UAC and handed all permissions over to my account(to 'fix'(if you ask me) all those annoying messages meant to 'protect' you) I fell in love with it, I've never used XP since :D

I encountered just one program incompatibility and it was with SRS Audio Sandbox, I guess they should update their software and for now I've found a proper replacement. I'm also very happy with the firewall that comes with it, it's way more advanced than the XP firewall and I didn't even feel the need to install COMODO.

Thanks, that all sounds good to me & I really think that I will do what you've done too & install Win7 & never use XP again (well other than helping fix friends computers/laptops & using my laptop with XP on, lol) but the downside to what you said is incompatibility with SRS Audio Sandbox :fear: I love that bit of kit, along with DFX for Winamp, they both go together really well! I really hope they update SRS very soon!

With this, it's a plugin for Winamp, it comes with loads of presets but I created my own ;)

Just play around with it a little and eventually you'll get the sound you like out of your speakers :) If you have any more questions about this plugin please open another thread ;)

Edit: I hate DFX, it's perfect for setups with large/quality speakers but I've got these small/shitty speakers and DFX completely ruins the sound, where SRS does not.

With this, it's a plugin for Winamp, it comes with loads of presets but I created my own ;)

Just play around with it a little and eventually you'll get the sound you like out of your speakers :) If you have any more questions about this plugin please open another thread ;)

Edit: I hate DFX, it's perfect for setups with large/quality speakers but I've got these small/shitty speakers and DFX completely ruins the sound, where SRS does not.

Thanks, it looks a little like a basic DFX to me, how I'd imagine DFX may have started out, lol. It's good that I have my computer hooked up to a nice big kenwood system with top quality speakers :)

EDIT: Lol, I'm sure I'll install virtualbox & have xp setup in there, should I ever need it on my pc, but having a lappy with xp on, i doubt I will need it :P

@Leet

Thanks for the mydidilife link...it sorts out issues for me.

With incompatibility programs, you will get to try other programs and maybe find something better.

I did, and had not turn back since, and that was like months back.:rolleyes::frusty:

With incompatibility programs, you will get to try other programs and maybe find something better.

I did, and had not turn back since, and that was like months back.:rolleyes::frusty:

Thanks :) it's just I'm a big fan of SRS & I know that it works perfectly for the audio setup I have. So hopefully they manage to sort it out sooner rather than later.

Thanks :) it's just I'm a big fan of SRS & I know that it works perfectly for the audio setup I have. So hopefully they manage to sort it out sooner rather than later.

Uhmm.. A few things I may recommend to you for Winamp as well..You may have to search for it.. Its called AudioBurst FX, and I use the StudioSound FX processing that comes with that.. it is an Output plugin, which I also use in slight conjunction with EAX 2.0.. and DECISoft 32 Band EQ.. w/ the norm eq on too.. all balanced out..well over 100 frequencies I can adjust with a wide range of effect that don't overload...I have just about any option I want with.. Re-sampling with AuioBurst FX can be CPU resource intensive.. but for some files its worth it..

When/if that fails you can use Native Instruments Traktor Pro 1, and M-Audio Torq...I have quite a few audio-phile toys ...do quite well for the system I have.. anyway just some good stuff I have found..Remixing tracks and re-encoding.. a few other things I have other programs for but that is more Media Development, not tuning..

TRUST though on AudioBurst even by itself your ears will thank you for it..

Hmmmm, odd, maybe it was fixed in a later driver release of Realtek, I haven't tried it with the latest driver I believe...

Archived