How to Backup Outlook 2016 Preferences and setting help needed ?

markee

Looking to do a clean install of windows and the one thing holding me back is dealing with resetting up all of Outlooks settings and preferences

Backing up and restoring the .pst file is easy but it don't restore all your setting and preferences looking for a backup  program or manual way to do it ?

• Replies 9
  • Views 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your Outlook account settings are saved in a registery key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook

You can export this key and import it when your reinstall Outlook.

I've used this method in older versions of Outlook but not in 2016.

Just be careful with the paths to your OST and PST files. If you use a different username when you reinstall Windows these won't match anymore.

Sadly it's the only way I know of to do it manually, in previous versions you used to be able to export your profiles to PRF files but those aren't supported anymore in 2016.

@Togijak

That is a great guide on how to backup your OST and PST files but to my knowledge they don't contain your account settings and preferences.

@Desterfox

I am sorry last time I used Outlook (for my business) was 2006 and changed to Thunderbird because the missing PGP / GPG option in Outlook

I been through this before the .pst files contain all past msgs and user accounts also if I'm not mistaken but all preferences settings  are lost which can be difficult and annoying   to remember or find again 

Archived