File Shredder

Patrick

Well TuneUp Shredder is ridiculously slow on Windows 7 :angry:. Recommend me a shredder that does 3, 5, 7 and 36 passes, preferably with a context menu entry too.

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure weather eraser is win 7 compatable, but thus is best stand alone app by a mile!

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

http://download.cnet.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231814.html

Reviewed by: CNET Staff

A few minor complaints aside, this free file shredder is by and large a solid find. Eraser's all-business interface won't win any design awards, but it's mostly convenient to use, allowing you to add files or folders to be deleted via drag-and-drop transfers. However, since the program lacks a dedicate deletion button or icon, you'll have to dig through the menu items to actually erase data. This misstep is somewhat negated by the fact that Eraser integrates into the Windows' context menu, letting you shred files via a right click. We're glad to see the program lets you choose from four secure government-sanctioned deletion algorithms, and we appreciate the inclusion of a scheduler, handy for routinely wiping free disk space. In our tests, Eraser got rid of a 1GB file in 10 minutes--impressive, considering we employed the most secure deletion method. Anyone seeking to eradicate documents for good should take a long look at this freebie.

• Administrator

Well for me Auslogics File shredder is the best. It comes with Auslogics Boostspeed. It also supports Windows 7.

You will get it from here - http://www.nsaneforu...eed-4-5-14-270/

Eraser recommended by Atasas is also good.

I have used both of them. Now it's on you. ;)

• Administrator

Well you may try Shift + Delete to remove a file completely(direct delete, not to recycle bin). Without shredding.

Another app that contains a fully configurable utility for doing different levels of file shredding and destroying is Acronis TI Home of all things. I've frequently used it to wipe disks to US government top secret standards, although it can go beyond that. Takes a long time to do an entire big drive however, even in the "quick" mode, but it gets the job done.

Can anyone answer this question:

I chose to delete 1 document using tuneup shredder, making only 1 pass. But halfway through I cancelled, but file was still gone. So what happened to the file? Did it get deleted properly? Will it still be recoverable? :frusty:

Depends on the recovery software and/or the agency recovering it...it might still be recoverable..but there is only one way to find out.. do a search with something like R-Studio..

Really kind of depends on the methods and steps included in each pass of the software you are using.

Archived