Changing my AV

Jime234

Hi,

I have been using ESET SS since half a decade now, Now I'm thinking about changing my security setup for a change.

I was thinking about MSE with WFC and MBAM, will it be good enough ?

In the past I have tried out Nortan, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira but they had huge update size or/and I just found them to be annoying... And then I found ESET:wub::hypocrite::notworthy:   

I just want an AV with small sized update definitions, just like ESET has.

If you guys have tried and experienced or know about such an av, then kindly suggest !

Thanks in Advance !!

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the anti-virus module is fine, the firewall component on the ESET ESS lacks granularity.

The (ESET NOD32 + any other 3rd party firewall) is a far superior combination — my personal preference is (ESET NOD32 + Windows Firewall Control.)

I've moved from AVG [just before Avast acquired it & dodged lotta crap ] to ESET IS +WFC ; & @dcs18 said , its a super-combo !

I haven't used an AV program in several years now.  Instead I use a good firewall, such as Spinx Windows Firewall, and software restriction policies that don't allow anything to run except what I specifically allow.  AV software is easily circumvented.  I have one program that will totally destroy all the drives in or attached to a workstation regardless of the AV software installed.  It has defeated them all.  The only thing that stops it is a software restriction policy that doesn't allow it to run.  Some pieces of the code have been floating around for a couple months but no hacker has actually developed a similar program yet, but I expect they will at some point.  At that time your AV choice makes no difference.

11 minutes ago, IronY-Man said:

I've moved from AVG [just before Avast acquired it & dodged lotta crap ] to ESET IS +WFC ; & @dcs18 said , its a super-combo !

It is a super-combo indeed ! but then I will have to use T Nod :unsure:

BTW, I'm using win 7 and Av test shows that MSE is cool for it ! 

Is it reliable though ?

6 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

I haven't used an AV program in several years now.  Instead I use a good firewall, such as Spinx Windows Firewall, and software restriction policies that don't allow anything to run except what I specifically allow.  AV software is easily circumvented.  I have one program that will totally destroy all the drives in or attached to a workstation regardless of the AV software installed.  It has defeated them all.  The only thing that stops it is a software restriction policy that doesn't allow it to run.  Some pieces of the code have been floating around for a couple months but no hacker has actually developed a similar program yet, but I expect they will at some point.  At that time your AV choice makes no difference.

Sir, Its an Honor to meet you :notworthy: 

So, are you suggesting to only use a firewall ?

BTW: I use my ESET SS with interactive mode

Emsisoft: Light, fast, dual engine, obscenely good behavior blocker and small updates

3 hours ago, DarkSlayer said:

Emsisoft: Light, fast, dual engine, obscenely good behavior blocker and small updates

It's an Anti-Malware right ? I have Malwarebytes.

BTW: whats the difference ? and what is the size of the update on an average ?

23 minutes ago, Bhindu said:

Try Trend Micro Maximum Security 2018.

can you tell the update size please ?

I use the inbuilt Windows Defender Security Center. Earlier I used no AV. For my firewall needs, again I use the inbuilt windows firewall paired up with WFC.

I use WebRoot program in several years now. It's very small, lightest, fastest with firewall and option. Vote it !

Last month I tried four AV's. Ranking: 1. Windows Defender, 2. Panda Dome, 3. Trend Micro, 4. ESET.

This don't help you much. I trust these AV's and MSE and Kaspersky VRT, but I don't trust Windows 7 anymore. :rofl:

Webroot & Eset Nod 32 for me...work wonderfully :)

16 hours ago, straycat19 said:

and software restriction policies that don't allow anything to run except what I specifically allow.

I've those in place too but in bare-essential mode so it doesn't becomes much of a hindrance !

16 hours ago, Jime234 said:

It is a super-combo indeed ! but then I will have to use T Nod :unsure:

BTW, I'm using win 7 and Av test shows that MSE is cool for it ! 

Is it reliable though ?

be reliable on only your exp. in this cos everything else just goes under "Prevention before Cure"  :whistle:

10 hours ago, Jime234 said:

It's an Anti-Malware right ? I have Malwarebytes.

BTW: whats the difference ? and what is the size of the update on an average ?

No, it is a complete antivírus solution, with BitDefender engine (viruses), their own engine (pups and spyware) and the best behavior blocker i have ever seen. It is very different from Malwarebytes, i give you that, And you can configure it to ask before every decision.

I have tried many others, like Eset, Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avira, Avast, GData, but I have been using Emsisoft for two years now. It is just that good and simple!

The updates kick in every one or two hours, and are fast. So I doubt they have more than a few kb or a few mb.

9 hours ago, Jime234 said:

can you tell the update size please ?

The update size is smaller than ESET. It takes very few seconds to download and install updates.The threat detection rate is also very high.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:07 PM, dcs18 said:

While the anti-virus module is fine, the firewall component on the ESET ESS lacks granularity.

The (ESET NOD32 + any other 3rd party firewall) is a far superior combination — my personal preference is (ESET NOD32 + Windows Firewall Control.)

On 4/2/2018 at 12:39 PM, IronY-Man said:

On 4/2/2018 at 9:17 PM, Undertaker said:

I use the inbuilt Windows Defender Security Center. Earlier I used no AV. For my firewall needs, again I use the inbuilt windows firewall paired up with WFC.

As I'm on Win 7, I cannot use Windows defender. 

So I wiped ESET SS, installed MSE and WFC !

I'm new to WFC so any advice on how to use it optimally ?

And How is WFC better than others like COMODO, privatefirewall, tinywall, zonealarm ?

54 minutes ago, Jime234 said:

Some of us at The Playground use Windows Firewall Control (WFC) with the following implementation:—

20 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Some of us at The Playground use Windows Firewall Control (WFC) with the following implementation:—

And according to you, what would be an alternative for WFC for a layman ?

1 hour ago, Jime234 said:

And How is WFC better than others like COMODO, privatefirewall, tinywall, zonealarm ?

Windows Firewall Control (WFC) is not a firewall — it's just a front-end GUI that drives your native Microsoft Firewall.

Have no working experience with PrivateFirewall — but, have used TinyWall a long time ago, it's very similar to Windows Firewall Control (WFC) but not so actively developed.

The other 2 firewalls COMODO and ZoneAlarm Pro are more effective than Windows Firewall Control (WFC) — however, people who swear by Windows Firewall Control (WFC) will testify that it consumes the lightest of resources and is much more easier to manage.

There's also one department where Windows Firewall Control (WFC) is top of its class — being an integral component of the OS, Windows Firewall is the very first firewall amongst all firewalls to start-up with Windows (a clear advantage for those whose internet connection is always on.)

2 minutes ago, Jime234 said:

And according to you, what would be an alternative for WFC for a layman ?

This would depend on the individual objective/s of a layman — mine were lowest resource consumption and easy deployments.

Good News:—

For those seeking ease of use, IMO — Windows Firewall Control (WFC) figures amongst the top 3.

The Potentially Bad News:—

9 hours ago, Jime234 said:

As I'm on Win 7, I cannot use Windows defender. 

So I wiped ESET SS, installed MSE and WFC !

Windows defender is there on W7 as well, search for it. :hehe:

If you have an updated system it might even offer you better protection that it did several years ago bcoz of recent advancements.

But it's advisable to use MSE on w7.

When I started using WFC(introduced to it by @rudrax), I had no net connectivity.

The reason for that was I went in paranoid mode without knowing the nuances of it.

I would advise you to have the WFC recommended rules (which is offered while installing) and then proceed from there, learning about it.

I haven't used the other mentioned firewall much so my comparison would be baseless.

It is also suggested to have a look at DnsCrypt-proxy(either the cmd line one or simplednscrypt).

From my point of view too, it will be a bad choice (avoid ESS and EIS and ESSP) and it will be better to keep the first one (EAV = Eset AntiVirus).

Did you take a real deep good look ? If you need one good example : just try to remove all the rules (inside the Eset firewall even in the advance settings as administrator).

Because if you want to have the full control, it will be better to choice one software like WFC (it's very very simple : filtering as level medium + secure rules (specially for W10 to avoid trouble) + notifications (same as interactive mode)).

According to my memories, Comodo was poor. The last time I had give a try it was terrible bad : my browser (everything) remain connected to internet despite I had tell Comodo to block it.

By the past, it was worst because sometimes it doesn't like any antivirus (Antivir + Comodo Firewall ? BSOD ? Almost the black one (instead of the blue) because at the times, the both aren't compatible). 

PS : As you can see there, ESS doesn't exist anymore. It was replace (rename) by the EIS. At least, I suppose nothing has change with the last one (v11).

There is just sometimes this kind of annoying trouble (you might see one alert each times you launch one program such as Windscribe (beta or not), Nginx, etc). It's a bug from Windows itself ? I won't be able to tell but I had see the alert a few times (despite the fact yes the rules didn't vanish (no change and already exist)).

Archived