View New Content Link....

HX1

I logged in to day and went to the View New Content Link like I always do. I had three pages of new posts..to review.. So I went through the third page and then got to the second which I needed to respond to a topic.. I responded to the topic and after doing so went back to review new content to pick back up where I left off.. When I did the site showed 0 new content items.. After which point I went to the front page and had to manually go through each forum and topic to catch up on what was going on..using the indicators shown at the beginning of each one..and the orange 'go to new post icon'..I still feel I may have missed a few things..After which I ht mark all topics read.. usually new topics and members will show up in a few minutes.. but it still is showing nothing new, while the new topics and forums are marked as such on the front page of the forum..

I was wondering if there was something that happened today during this time or if it was something on my end..Or is this forum just not able to do so right now?

I also changed my password in the event that any number of people may have used and already old one to use this account.. if thats even possible...

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

No. No. No need to worry. Just take my tip the way I use the forums. Always use middle click on the links. That will open the link in new tabs. Don't start from the 2-3 page but from the 1st page and the first topic. Never open any links on the new content tab. Open every link only in new tabs.

Same has happened to me many times. What I miss after the upgrade it to view all the post made in the whole week. This always worked for me when it showed no new content.

You can also change it in the user CP/Settings------->General settings ------->search settings-------->select--------> Show me all the content that I have not read. Click save changes and your done. You can see all the topic in new content that you haven't read. ;)

Well I don't think that would help me as I don't have a middle click button, or a mouse..and it always works to efficiently go to the unread topics and posts, which is the only thing I am actually after...but it seems to have worked itself out.. for whatever reason..This is the first time it as happened to me since I started here.. so I was thinking that I may have accidentally hit the 'mark all topics read' link instead of the one I was going for..but I was not sure..

Anyway.. Thanks.. LOL.. :)

It could've been that you took some time reading a few topics and it marked your 'comeback' as a new visit which is why it didn't mark the topics(again, from the forums point of view).

If you do what DKT said(the option change) it will show all unread messages rather than only the ones after your last visit ;)

I was using IE8 when this happened..see if it was faster.. I think it my have to do with some of the settings that I have set..Usually I load all unread posts.. not topics, or forums, by signing in and hitting the View New Content Link, then I go to the last page and work from last to most current. I respond review, read up.. all that with each one and use the back button to use the cached page..I went there from .. So essentially not hammering the server for a bunch of requests until I load a new page.. I usually double check the beginning and ending of each page.. to make sure with the roster changing as I check them.. This has always worked for me..Then I will reload View New Content once more and check then hit mark all read and keep up with the smaller list as time progresses..

I think yesterday was just a fluke or something.. No big deal..just never had it happen before.. it was like it wasn't even using a cache or cookie.. but like I said this may have to do with my settings in IE8..

Archived