Jump to content

Iflix Sees Piracy as Main Competitor, Not Netflix


steven36

Recommended Posts

With millions of subscribers throughout Asia and Africa, iflix is one of the leading video streaming services in emerging markets. While the company is up against streaming giants such as Netflix and Amazon, it sees piracy as its main adversary.

 

https://s7d3.turboimg.net/sp/325fe42827b9a8c876c1eea08aa33cf7/iflix.jpg

 

While Netflix is without a doubt the most used paid video streaming service worldwide, there are dozens of smaller players fighting for a piece of the pie.

 

Iflix is one of these companies. The service is available in 25 countries across Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, streaming movies and TV-shows to 6.5 million subscribers.

 

In the coming years, the streaming service hopes to expand its reach by offering a better product than its competition. This includes the likes of Netflix and Amazon, but iflix sees piracy as its main adversary.

“That is really the big player,” Sherwin dela Cruz, iflix’s country manager, says in an interview with ANC’s The Boss.

 

“The sooner we get people to pay for our service and watch content in one of the real services, I think that’s when we can say that the market is really growing.”

 

Dela Cruz sees the music industry as a good example, where services such as Spotify offer a relatively complete alternative to piracy. As a result, illegal downloading has decreased in countries where it became available.

 

“That’s sort of like the aspiration for us – to get more people to have just one, two or three services and just watch what they want to watch on their mobile phones without really looking at pirated content,” dela Cruz says.

 

Interestingly, iflix doesn’t only see piracy as a problem that needs to be quashed. At the moment, they also use it as market intelligence to find out what content local audiences are interested in.

 

Iflix uses the German company TECXIPIO, which is known to actively monitor BitTorrent traffic, to track local piracy trends. In addition, they also buy pirated DVDs from street vendors to find out what people want.

 

This information is used to license the content people are most interested in, so it can offer the best possible alternative to piracy.

 

The company previously informed us that they believe that piracy is a signal from the public that they can’t get what they want through legal options. Going forward, Iflix hopes to grow its user base by directly competing with piracy.

 

“We believe that people in emerging markets do not actively want to steal content, they do so because there is no better alternative,” iflix concludes.

 

Source

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

People cannot choose something if they have no option for it.

 

For a video service to work well, it needs to be priced cheap though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The internet in the Philippines is crappy..

not everybody has decent broadband speed adequate for streaming..

Most of the country is still on crappy 3G..

Also IFLIx has a very limited repertoire of shows and movies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On undefined at 7:11 AM, teodz1984 said:

The internet in the Philippines is crappy..

not everybody has decent broadband speed adequate for streaming..

Most of the country is still on crappy 3G..

Also IFLIx has a very limited repertoire of shows and movies

Internet speeds are not  a streaming  sites problem they offer  it in  25  countries  and have millions of subscribers. That's the government and the ISP providers doing that   . 

Most legal streaming sits adjust the quality or let you change it  based on you're Internet speed .

I can stream  on demand stuff just fine via  Kodi  and live TV  as long as if the bitrate is not too  high are if  I can adjust it. its fine and i don't have very good Internet at all  just ADSL and i stream with a vpn witch slow it down even more. :tooth:

Theres tons of cheap not so legal IPTV  you can buy dirt cheap, if all legal  streaming companies would provide cheaper prices and free tiers like music has,   also many of them have option were you can download offline,  piracy would drop a lot in many places.B)

 

I got lots of legal addons  on Kodi many of them has  some  good stuff for free  but most of the legal ones are geo blocked were  you need vpn to even watch them if you live outside of service region  and on demand free  stuff is even more limited  were the block shows for so long  and  make old ones not available .   As far as movies i live  like 30 miles from a theater so ive not been in years , I  get all my movies offline  since like 2011 .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Hollywood is greedy and they would like to prolong their cash cows... These legal streaming sites too...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

insanedown58

I've personally used iFlix and Netflix for a month through their one-month free trial. Netflix offers more content that suits my liking and for the most part the collections are complete. iFlix has a lot of content but a lot of them aren't really that good. The TV series they offer are pretty hit or miss in terms of how complete they are. Movies for both are also pretty varied. Netflix offers a lot of the mainstream stuff both new and old. iFlix on the other hand offers a lot of movies but a lot of the movies are old. (at least for Hollywood titles).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, insanedown58 said:

I've personally used iFlix and Netflix for a month through their one-month free trial. Netflix offers more content that suits my liking and for the most part the collections are complete. iFlix has a lot of content but a lot of them aren't really that good. The TV series they offer are pretty hit or miss in terms of how complete they are. Movies for both are also pretty varied. Netflix offers a lot of the mainstream stuff both new and old. iFlix on the other hand offers a lot of movies but a lot of the movies are old. (at least for Hollywood titles).

Some old movies are better than new ones ,me personally  don't care for no netfilx  because they can't  offer me no were near  the amount of the videos i can  download from sites or find in kodi   ..I pay a few pennies a day for a private service to download and stream from OCH  and torrents.    Witch is cheaper than netfilx  and for what i can pay for 2 services  that pays my vpn.

 

Only way i would  go100%  legit  they going to have  too come down on the price and offer more content  witch the others  will never allow, netfilx is fixing to lose a lot of there shows because Disney bought Fox  and there going to remove lots of stuff from netflix and start there own streaming service . If they ever stopped  piracy i would just buy a TV and hook up to the satellite we have here at my house and not worry with the Internet lol.  Right now I just use 1080p monitors since 2011  and really not used a TV since 2007 lol. Most legal streaming sites don't have the usage rights for all content  no way .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer old movies mostly. And foreign ones that those sites don't have. I used Netflix in the past and it just had such limited choice....bah. I'll have to stick to MyPlex :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

insanedown58
On 4/5/2018 at 5:39 AM, steven36 said:

Some old movies are better than new ones ,me personally  don't care for no netfilx  because they can't  offer me no were near  the amount of the videos i can  download from sites or find in kodi   ..I pay a few pennies a day for a private service to download and stream from OCH  and torrents.    Witch is cheaper than netfilx  and for what i can pay for 2 services  that pays my vpn.

 

Only way i would  go100%  legit  they going to have  too come down on the price and offer more content  witch the others  will never allow, netfilx is fixing to lose a lot of there shows because Disney bought Fox  and there going to remove lots of stuff from netflix and start there own streaming service . If they ever stopped  piracy i would just buy a TV and hook up to the satellite we have here at my house and not worry with the Internet lol.  Right now I just use 1080p monitors since 2011  and really not used a TV since 2007 lol. Most legal streaming sites don't have the usage rights for all content  no way .

 

Can't agree with this more. I've tried Kodi myself and while the speed and quality of streams I find varies greatly, I can certainly agree that the price of a VPN (which I really don't have to pay yet because my country doesn't block streaming or is against it) is a better deal than paying for a service like Netflix or iFlix. What I hate is the fact that shows expire and some shows are exclusive to other streaming services. I mean for one thing iFlix encourages binge-watching but how can you happily binge-watch a TV series when you start at the 8th season? Netflix on the other hand blocks so much content depending on the country that it's sometimes pointless to pay for when you can't watch the shows you want. Here in the Philippines we have HBO Go available as well which is a tad bit more expensive than iFlix but offers all the HBO exclusive stuff. That's the problem though. It's only all of the HBO Stuff. Same goes for FOX Plus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the video streaming services have taken a hint from the music streaming market. It has already been saturated by similar/identical offerings, with little to no difference, and many, if not all of the streaming companies have revenue issues. The rightsholders and record companies demand huge payouts and the artists only get a fraction of that. The current business model (that amounts to renting your music from a single repo for all one's needs) is simply unsustainable because there is no place for growth. Spotify has been increasing its promos for a while now in an attempt to get more people to go premium, and there's simply no room for yet another big player. And when the market is saturated, the prices need to go down to attract new customers or convince others to switch over, and nobody at corporate wants that.

 

I think the head honchos at the studios saw this for what it was and decided to segment the market before it got saturated. Netflix is expensive and held back by regional licensing. Meanwhile, studios such as HBO and FOX can stipulate limited rights to their content and reserve the option to deliver it through their in-house service globally. This segments the market so that every house has its own "digital broadcaster", with nothing (save for piracy) to unite the entire catalogue. This means that one will have to subscribe to multiple services for both Marvel and DC, or otherwise buy the discs, or go to see the films in theatres or wait for them to appear on TVs. Either way, each corporation gets their fair share of the market profits by controlling the entire supply chain. When you think about it in this context, the stringency of the recent crackdowns on Kodi add-ons makes even more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...