OneDrive or Google Photos?

kowalski215

kowalski215

Hi everyone.

It's actually high time to free up my hard drive space and upload my 160+ GB of pictures and videos somewhere (but still, I do NOT know where, and that's why I'm posting here).

I've started uploading a few albums on Google Photos (and actually, most of my pictures are shot on my Xiaomi Mi A1, so they don't exceed 16MP and videos are saved in 1080p).

However, I do not know why, Google Photos give me some sense of uncertainty for the future. I've seen that Google has killed some services in the past (like Picasa) and I'm worried about "where all my pics will go then"?

The alternative would be purchasing a OneDrive subscription as I would have the chance of getting 4 ys at 80€ as I'm a university student, with Office 365 university. The problem is that, after the 4 ys, the price is quite high i.e. 100$ annually for the Office 365 suite (it's 70€ just for onedrive I guess).

If you were at my place, what would you do?

I know is somewhat more a personal choice, but as I have not decided yet, i'd like to hear some of your opinions.

thx (and happy easter to all of you ;) )

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither of these are suitable because they are not made to be used for storing photos, but only for sharing with friends and showing to your friends online.
Once again - they are not suitable for maintaining the photos for a long time, and there is also a quality problem. Website photo is at all different thing as the real photo, original photo or photo, what is meant for storing or remeber the history.

kowalski215
1 minute ago, Kalju said:

Neither of these are suitable because they are not made to be used for storing photos, but only for sharing with friends and showing to your friends online.
Once again - they are not suitable for maintaining the photos for a long time, and there is also a quality problem. Website photo is at all different thing as the real photo, original phot or photo, what is meant for storing or remeber the history.

As far as I'm concerned, your reasoning works for google photos, but not for OneDrive indeed. 1TB of storage for what, then?

PS: if you try downloading what you have uploaded on google photo, it will be exactly the same as your original file (insofar as it is below 16mp).

7 minutes ago, kowalski215 said:

PS: if you try downloading what you have uploaded on google photo, it will be exactly the same as your original file (insofar as it is below 16mp).

Absolutely true. For some, the mother and daughter are exactly the same, absolutely no difference.

kowalski215
3 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Absolutely true. For some, the mother and daughter are exactly the same, absolutely no difference.

It seems you've never tried, have you? If you are convinced then tell me which differences there are (but provide evidence)

7 minutes ago, kowalski215 said:

It seems you've never tried, have you? If you are convinced then tell me which differences there are (but provide evidence)

You're right again. Of course, I have never tried anything, and at all, I do not know anything. But if you know why you ask? And you have not tried it (what You asked) either, otherwise you would know.
Finally, I've been a professional photographer for 50 years. You might think that perhaps something have learned and also know.

Do not ask if you do not want someone to answer something and it makes no sense to tell everyone right away that you're stupid and you do not know anything. So polite people do not do.

Anyway, thanks. I'll block You now to not see no more such a good and smart people as You.

My tip is to choose one according to the best speed for data transfer.:)

About photos : for your privacy, put all of them into secured archives with strong passwords ! B)

Good luck ! ;)

kowalski215
Just now, Recruit said:

My tip is to choose one according to the best speed for data transfer.:)

About photos : for your privacy, put all of them into secured archives with strong passwords ! B)

Good luck ! ;)

I haven't considered data transfer speed, that's actually a good point. 

Privacy cannot be my first concern anymore these days.. As most of them are either shared on facebook or on instagram or anywhere else, I do not care so much about google looking at my vacation shots. ;) - Although you are actually right, it should be a concern and it should be done what you've suggested.

51 minutes ago, kowalski215 said:

If you were at my place, what would you do?

dear sir I would buy a new HD of 500gb :rolleyes: 

regards

17 minutes ago, kowalski215 said:

Privacy cannot be my first concern anymore these days

If the privacy isn't a concern for you, than keep in mind the speed for data transfer, how I said already, and, maybe the features offered by those services.

I cannot say more about them, I do not have any photos uploaded on public cloud services. ;)

Wish you good luck ! :)

6 hours ago, kowalski215 said:

However, I do not know why, Google Photos give me some sense of uncertainty for the future. I've seen that Google has killed some services in the past (like Picasa) and I'm worried about "where all my pics will go then"?

The Picasa app had declined in usefulness over the years. No files or photos were lost, everything was transitioned across to Google Photos where the files are in Google Drive but the Photos app is simply the interface to access the photos. You can also access the same photos directly from Google Drive now but just that the Drive interface is won't have the photo features. I've never lost a file on any Google cloud service but I have lost emails in Microsoft Hotmail as recently as 2017 when they had some sort of outage.

If privacy is a strict concern then I suggest buying a barebones tower server from Dell or Lenovo with atleast RAID1 and build yourself a file server. Do not waste your money on HP because everything they build is complete and utter garbage.

If you don't want to go that far into technical setup then I can suggest a network attached storage with RAID1 from Synology. The only other brand of NAS I can recommend is Buffalo, stay away from any other brands. Netgear, Seagate, Western Digital, and every other brand is likely to be trash and will someday die and carry your files with it, the worst part is if you connect the NAS drive directly into another computer it probably won't see the partitions or the files, especially true for Shitgate.

The best option is if you build your own server, but I recommended the tower server from the OEMs because if you try to build your own the problem you may have is locating a decent hardware raid controller. If you buy directly from Dell you will be able to add a decent raid controller and get a high efficiency power supply and ecc memory. It's worth the money if you can afford the upfront costs.

kowalski215
10 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

[...]

If privacy is a strict concern then I suggest buying a barebones tower server from Dell or Lenovo with atleast RAID1 and build yourself a file server. Do not waste your money on HP because everything they build is complete and utter garbage.

If you don't want to go that far into technical setup then I can suggest a network attached storage with RAID1 from Synology. The only other brand of NAS I can recommend is Buffalo, stay away from any other brands. Netgear, Seagate, Western Digital, and every other brand is likely to be trash and will someday die and carry your files with it, the worst part is if you connect the NAS drive directly into another computer it probably won't see the partitions or the files, especially true for Shitgate.

The best option is if you build your own server, but I recommended the tower server from the OEMs because if you try to build your own the problem you may have is locating a decent hardware raid controller. If you buy directly from Dell you will be able to add a decent raid controller and get a high efficiency power supply and ecc memory. It's worth the money if you can afford the upfront costs.

Will take this into account, considering the prices they have. thanks for the suggestions, an option I hadn't considered.

• 3 months later...

Umm, What about getting own Cloud server like WD Cloud or other brand that can save all of these pictures on LOCAL network and secured Internet straight your home.. I own 5 clouds.. I don't pay monthly fees.. I own it 1 time, any sizes I want.. But keep in mind.. some ISP Provider has Capping limitations over Internet, can do at home local network is not a problems..

ATGPUD2003

Or simply buying an external hard drive.. Cheaper to maintain.. Best price per storage unit compared to online options..   

DO THE MATH  

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-001/plans/

OneDrive Basic 5 GB is free 5 GB data

OneDrive 50 GB is $1.99/mo *12  or roughly $24  per year

if you need 4 times that for 200 GB data you need to pay $100 per year

A 4 Terabyte Drive is about a  Hundred Dollars .. covered your online storage cost 

And you have 20 time more storage than your online account..

You don't have a worry if the service goes down or you lose all your data

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard-Drives-Storage-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=595048

As pointed by quite a few members, its best to get an external HDD. Its cheap and you don't have to worry about privacy issues. 

But if you still want your photos online, i would say go with Google Photos. You can choose to keep the photos in original quality although there might be some limitations to it. A lot of people use it and rest assured if Google ever decides to take down Photos, I am sure you will be given a chance to download all your data. I remember this happened when Google pulled the plug on Orkut. Additionally if you use Android smartphone then you are sharing everything with google in any case, why let Microsoft spy on you too ?

Archived