Skype “classic” for Windows desktop is once again available to download

ADN

PeteQM7.png

If you still not ready to embrace Microsoft’s redesigned Skype app, you can once again download the “classic” Skype app for Windows desktop. Microsoft has quietly updated the app to version 7.41, and it’s once again available to download from the Skype website.

Last month, Microsoft had to pull the installer for the legacy app due to a security issue, and this was met with some backlash from users. Despite Microsoft’s efforts to push modern versions of Skype such as the new Electron-based app (Skype v8) or the Skype for Windows 10, power users may still prefer the “classic” app and its support for multiple windows, advanced notifications, and more.

GoUMGsj.png

It is good that Microsoft is still supporting “classic” Skype, but this app probably won’t get any new features going forward. Microsoft is now completely focused on the new cross-platform app, which gets new updates every two weeks or so. Skype for Windows 10 is also frequently updated, but this modern app still lacks support for some features such as Skype add-ins.

Onmsft.com

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new redesigned Skype sucks...not the quality of the image/sound, but the interface. The classic design with "Skype, Contacts, Conversation, Call, View, Tools, Help" along the top of the interface was much more user friendly. You could access your webcam video and switch it on without any fuss....now they've hidden everything in their quest to be"modern". If you check on the internet you'll see a lot of people (not just me!!! lol) complaining that the new version doesn't send video to the person that they are calling, and trying to find a setting that gets Skype to turn on your video is a headache now.

They've also for some stupid reason put a list of old "chats" on the left hand side where your contacts used to be listed, so at first glance you see the names/icons of people repeated multiple times...why???...the contacts list now appears in a white box in the middle of the screen after you click one of the UGLY wee icons at the top of the interface. They also removed the "about" button that confirmed what version of Skype you have installed. Design change just for the sake of it is like putting square wheels on a car...hey it looks "modern", but it's not functional".

Rant over!!!!:D:D:D

It's interesting why such a strange title or headline - all the time has been available and even the links have been the same all the time.

Why such a title? Is this some kind of propaganda again?

I downloaded version 7 and installed it over version 8, and I've advised my sister in the UK to do the same to se if she can get her video working again, or at least find what the problem is. She had her neighbour (who is more computer savvy) in her house last week for hours trying to discover why Skype 8 wouldn't recognize her camera or send video...he even contacted his IT friend and he was stumped. She has Windows 10 and it seems that a lot of Windows 10 users are having the same problem. I'll be Skyping her in an hour to see if she has gone back to Skype 7.

1. The old adage comes to mind "Don't try to fix what isn't broken"

13 hours ago, Kalju said:

It's interesting why such a strange title or headline - all the time has been available and even the links have been the same all the time.

Why such a title? Is this some kind of propaganda again?

I think they don't want to admit that a lot of folk are having problems with Skype 8 and Windows 10 (BETA!!! LOL),  So rather sneakily they're reminding us the Skype 7 "classic" is still available....next they'll be re-releasing Windows 96 "Classic".:D:D:D

funkyy  Sorry how? Version 7 and version 8 are completely different things, they are installed in different places, they have different data storage locations, as well as registry keys.
They can not be installed in any way, as you said, "installed 7 over 8".
These are completely different and 7 does not mess with 8 even if you use them at the same time, that is, simultaneously on the same computer. 
Version 8 is completely portable and completely independent.
Default location %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop (64-bit OS)
or %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop (32-bit OS)

or what ever another place, if You want, There is no matter, where version 8 is installed.
but 7 default location is
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Skype\....  or %ProgramFiles%\Skype\....

Airstream_Bill
22 minutes ago, funkyy said:

I downloaded version 7 and installed it over version 8, and I've advised my sister in the UK to do the same to se if she can get her video working again, or at least find what the problem is. She had her neighbour (who is more computer savvy) in her house last week for hours trying to discover why Skype 8 wouldn't recognize her camera or send video...he even contacted his IT friend and he was stumped. She has Windows 10 and it seems that a lot of Windows 10 users are having the same problem. I'll be Skyping her in an hour to see if she has gone back to Skype 7.

1. The old adage comes to mind "Don't try to fix what isn't broken"

Hi!  I have been using the Skype APP in Windows 10 and the other day I Downloaded the Skype 8 and tried to install it and Windows 10 would not let me install it..  

16 minutes ago, Kalju said:

funkyy  Sorry how? Version 7 and version 8 are completely different things, they are installed in different places, they have different data storage locations, as well as registry keys.
They can not be installed in any way, as you said, "installed 7 over 8".
These are completely different and 7 does not mess with 8 even if you use them at the same time, that is, simultaneously on the same computer. 
Version 8 is completely portable and completely independent.
Default location %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop (64-bit OS)
or %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop (32-bit OS)

or what ever another place, if You want, There is no matter, where version 8 is installed.
but 7 default location is
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Skype\....  or %ProgramFiles%\Skype\....

Ooooops!! Thanks Kalju, I didn't know that...I'm gonna remove Skype 8 from its location...and advise my sister that she should do the same. In my defence, I think that it should be CLEARLY emphasized to potential users that Skype 8 is "completely portable"...I don't remember seeing those words in the download description. I need new contact lenses!!!:D:D:D

I think the only reason Skype still exists is because of the video chat features is has since it has fallen behind in anything else since all the other way better communication apps appeared.

Archived