Scam emails I received lately

mona

2 hours ago, mona said:

The so called Nigerian Prince trick's popularity has faded somehow these days.

But I remember a few years ago there were many victims around the world who got successfully fooled by those scammers.  Hope  @sixoclock you weren't one of them  ?    :lol:

in the off chance you decide to move away from gmail...gmail can be set to forward emails to another address...it would come in handy for anyone who you missed telling your email address changed...or the ones who forgot to change your new address and delete your old address

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mona said:

Thanks for your suggestion @jamesDDI . I know you are right but you know - old habits are difficult to fight.

For a good start I should at least move 2 of my email accounts : 1.financial and  2.private correspondence inbox.

Two questions though :

1. Gmail has got excellent spam filters.  How about this feature in the services you've mentioned ?

2. Is there an option to move one's old emails to a new provider too ?  It would certainly make my decission a bit easier.....

1 hour ago, dMog said:

in the off chance you decide to move away from gmail...gmail can be set to forward emails to another address...it would come in handy for anyone who you missed telling your email address changed...or the ones who forgot to change your new address and delete your old address

There are many ways to do email migration. Depend on which email provider you are moving to, most email providers have an import feature that helps you import your emails and contacts from gmail. You can also use third-party software such as Thunderbird to do the email migration. See below:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail

Since you can log into several email providers or accounts simultaneously in Thunderbird, you can also migrate emails from one account to another like the following:

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/everything-email/301-using-thunderbird-to-transfer-emails-between-servers

If you use Thunderbird, make sure IMAP synchronization settings look like the following so that all your emails are migrated:

478018a787a859bb323295c2966ba359-1269385173-105-1.jpg

As always, backup and backup and backup before you attempt the above because I can't pinky promise that all your emails will be intact during the migration as mistake can happen. Hope this helps :)

@DKT27, don't spank me if the above is off topic as I am just trying to help @mona :P

7 hours ago, mona said:

@dcs18  thank you for the nice screeshot.

However in my (mobile) browser (let it be FF or Chrome) it does look a bit differently :

Scs_2018-03-22_224402.jpg

Hitting #1  doesn't open a menu, but works as a link and opens this site.

While #2 opens a configuration and settings menu .

As you can see there are no other options available in my (current, not the simplified one) gmail version.   

I wonder why my version is so  different ?    :think:

This is how it looks on my Android using Firefox Browser (Fast & Private) 58.0.1:—

SsNmPUN.png

Israeli_Eagle
  • Email != WebMail
  • Companies, banks etc never use WebMail and only a real mailer
  • Companies, banks etc and advanced users use only their own domains and addresses
  • Mails should never stay in server, because real letters never have copies in any other postbox
  • Better only use POP3/SMTP because IMAP is more like a postcard
  • Recommended is a Notifier (for example POP Peeper) and can clean before receiving
  • Every good AV as well checks any Email traffic

This way I never got any scam to my PC the last 10 years. :coolwink:

Israeli_Eagle
5 hours ago, mona said:

Thanks for your suggestion @jamesDDI . I know you are right but you know - old habits are difficult to fight.

For a good start I should at least move 2 of my email accounts : 1.financial and  2.private correspondence inbox.

Two questions though :

1. Gmail has got excellent spam filters.  How about this feature in the services you've mentioned ?

2. Is there an option to move one's old emails to a new provider too ?  It would certainly make my decission a bit easier.....

True... Gmail server is really a very good filter and can be used as own domain as well!

Example:

https://www.shoutmeloud.com/how-to-get-free-personalize-domain-email-address-domainname-using-google-apps.html

@Israeli_Eagle   Thanks for all your suggestions.  They are very clear to me except the first one :

• Email != WebMail

Is   “ != “ standing for  “is not‘'  maybe ?

Yes, I must confess I have never ever used any desktop e-mail client , so maybe it's time to test this functionality ....

can be used as own domain as well!

Could you elaborate on this a bit more, please ?

[ OK you have edited your post, so the answer is in the link. Thanks]

Israeli_Eagle
15 minutes ago, mona said:

@Israeli_Eagle   Thanks for all your suggestions.  They are very clear to me except the first one :

Is   “ != “ standing for  “is not‘'  maybe ?

!= means unequal and WebMail is very limited.

15 minutes ago, mona said:

Could you elaborate on this a bit more, please ?

This way you use then the Gmail server and account, but your own domain and address.

(Example above)

12 hours ago, mona said:

@dcs18   As we are talking about Gmail :

Guess the most frustrating thing I find in online Gmail (in the browser) is the lack of SIGN OUT button in the current version of interface  !

In order to have that feature still available I'm forced to use an ancient simplified html version of gmail page stripped from many newer features.  I need to sign out though, since I use separate gmail accounts for different purposes.

BTW

If there is someone who knows how to sign out from online gmail  in its latest version - please let me know !

Just an heads up — in case your ad. blocker is the culprit.

You could try adding the following exception rule:—

@@||ssl.gstatic.com/accounts/static^$xmlhttprequest

If the above rule does not work, you could try removing the following cosmetic rules (if they exist):—

google.com##.gb_g.gb_fa.gb_xb
mail.google.com##.gb_g.gb_fa.gb_xb

GMAIL signout... - Check the upper right on the "Google" bar at the top of the page... . Click on your account emogi (for lack of a better name at the moment) and you will have a sign-out option..... see attached screen shot....

Capture.JPG

@mona sorry for delay, about those questions i think you have received already the right advices and the right path to follow. You are smart so you will have not problems.

But about the first question i can add something. I am not native English(like you i think) speaker so spam in english is like this(80/90% of all spam for me is/was in english):

Have you missed Trumpcare Open Enrollment?

IRS Loophole Converts Your IRA/401(k) to Physical Gold

BMW [email protected]

:lol:

The rest was/is italian spam, for the most part amazon scammer, ebay scammer, bank scammer with banks that i NEVER had/heard and similar, so it's really easy to understand. 

:console:

• Administrator

Topic moved to Security and Privacy Center, not news.

I agree about Gmail being better than Outlook / Hotmail when it comes to spam.

I remember Lite loved posting all this. :P

• Administrator
2 hours ago, 0bin said:

Maybe is back? ^_^

I do not think so. Last time I checked, he was busy removing sand from the depth of the oceans, I think. :P

Archived