YouTube is testing floating picture-in-picture videos on the web

Recruit

dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2F
Edgar Alvarez/Engadget

YouTube might bring one of its mobile apps' most useful multitasking features to the desktop version. The platform has started testing picture-in-picture playback on desktop, a feature that continues playing your video inside a small floating panel when you navigate to other parts of the site.

So long as what you're watching is currently playing, YouTube will minimize and place it on the lower right-hand corner while you browse other videos.

Since it's just a test, though, it's only live for very small number of accounts -- only one Engadget editor has access to it at the moment. That editor has an ordinary account with no YouTube Red subscription, so it's safe to say that the platform isn't giving Red subscribers the special treatment.

As you can see in the GIF below, the minimized panel has Pause, Play and even Next controls, so you can keep playing video after video in the background. Clicking on the title underneath the small panel takes you to that video's page.

If that sounds like a great feature to have, you'll have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. Like any other YouTube or Google test, the feature might or might not see wider release in the future.

+youtubepicinpic.gif

Source

• Replies 13
  • Views 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Not sure if I like this.

It works similarly in Android, which is annoying and little hard to close here.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

Not sure if I like this.

It works similarly in Android, which is annoying and little hard to close here.

Since this is for the desktop version of Youtube, it could be useful while you are moderating this forum or manually screening members for VIP status, where you can enjoy funny videos from Youtube at the same. I use pop-up video all the time while doing homework online with multiple tabs :P

12 minutes ago, 0bin said:

In Xposed we trust :) 

Have met with success by transferring the AdGuard rules from Windows to Android (after some minor improvisations.) ;)

15 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

I'm taking it for a test ride — at first impression, it looks good enough to deploy to all clients machines. ^_^

Full disclosure, I don't use it anymore. Had used it sometime in forum downtime, was good at that time.

My main reason was using it to limit the video quality because of my FUP limit. Now that my FUP limit has been raised, it's no longer a concern for me.

Magic actions was not able to hold the HTML5 and 360p setting - which was my preferred choice at that time. It turned out the problem was only with that particular resolution.

But now that I have a larger cap and alternative net availability, I didn't need it.

Magic Actions for YouTube™ was working fine until Google recently updated YouTube and broke it — also remember taking a swing at the add-on developer for embedding his option into the context menu when one or more words were selected on any webpage.

Archived