Cambridge Analytica: Warrant sought to inspect company

sixoclock

I posted about Cambridge Analytica harvesting private information from more than 50 million Facebook users a day ago, looks like they are now in deep water...

Cambridge Analytica: Warrant sought to inspect company

3/19/2018

Alexander Nix

The UK's Information Commissioner says she will seek a warrant to look at the databases and servers used by British firm Cambridge Analytica.

The company is accused of using the personal data of 50 million Facebook members to influence the US presidential election in 2016.

Its executives have also been filmed by Channel 4 News suggesting it could use honey traps and potentially bribery to discredit politicians.

The company denies any wrongdoing.

Fresh allegations

On Monday, Channel 4 News broadcast hidden camera footage in which Cambridge Analytica chief executive Alexander Nix appears to suggest tactics his company could use to discredit politicians online.

In the footage, asked what "deep digging" could be done, Mr Nix told an undercover reporter: "Oh, we do a lot more than that."

He suggested one way to target an individual was to "offer them a deal that's too good to be true and make sure that's video recorded".

He also said he could "send some girls around to the candidate's house..." adding that Ukrainian girls "are very beautiful, I find that works very well".

Mr Nix continued: "I'm just giving you examples of what can be done and what has been done."

Channel 4 News said its reporter had posed as a fixer for a wealthy client hoping to get a political candidate elected in Sri Lanka.

However, Cambridge Analytica said the report had "grossly misrepresented" the conversations caught on camera.

"In playing along with this line of conversation, and partly to spare our 'client' from embarrassment, we entertained a series of ludicrous hypothetical scenarios," the company said in a statement.

"Cambridge Analytica does not condone or engage in entrapment, bribes or so-called 'honeytraps'," it said.

Mr Nix told the BBC's Newsnight programme that he regarded the report as a "misrepresentation of the facts" and said he felt the firm had been "deliberately entrapped".

Investigation

UK Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham is already investigating Cambridge Analytica over claims it used the personal data of 50 million Facebook members to influence the US presidential election.

Christopher Wylie, who worked with the company, claimed it amassed the data of millions of people through a personality quiz on Facebook that was created by an academic.

Ms Denham had demanded access to Cambridge Analytica's databases and servers by 18:00 GMT but said the firm had missed her deadline.

"I'm not accepting their response so therefore I'll be applying to the court for a warrant," she told Channel 4.

"We need to get in there, we need to look at the databases, we need to look at the servers and understand how data was processed or deleted by Cambridge Analytica."

'Violation'

Cambridge Analytica insists it followed the correct procedures in obtaining and using data, but it was suspended from Facebook last week.

Facebook, meanwhile, said it had hired its own digital forensic team to audit Cambridge Analytica.

"This is part of a comprehensive internal and external review that we are conducting to determine the accuracy of the claims that the Facebook data in question still exists," the firm said.

"If this data still exists, it would be a grave violation of Facebook's policies and an unacceptable violation of trust and the commitments these groups made."

Facebook added that Aleksandr Kogan, the creator of the personality app from which the data had been harvested, had also agreed to be audited.

However, it said Mr Wylie - who made the claims about the way the data was gathered and used - had declined.

SOURCE

• Replies 6
  • Views 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL

good thing I deleted my Facebook account ~ 2 years ago. I deleted my Twitter account yesterday.

Once going online, there is no privacy any more. Remember this.

22 minutes ago, oliverjia said:

LOL

good thing I deleted my Facebook account ~ 2 years ago. I deleted my Twitter account yesterday.

Once going online, there is no privacy any more. Remember this.

Ive not been on there since 2011 then used fake info to join ,  Some sites  use to make you join and post  it on you're facebook page it to get free software giveaways . Other than for that i never signed in .News is everywhere why would i sign in to any site just to read news?

15 hours ago, 0bin said:

This is only the tip of the huge iceberg, 

block graph.facebook.com :naughty:

Cambridge or Oxford, doesn't matter...

They change name in one hour :chug:

Like it really means anything It don't,  it would take a idiot to  not know  this is not a scandal  that is  just how facebook works . People act like this is something new when it's not , Does it take the UK witch you cant go out in public  even there , without being spied on, to wake people up . people sold  out  there data years ago  to a like button . thats why there called Generation like.:lol:

The Cambridge Analytica scandal isn’t a scandal: this is how Facebook works

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/camridge-analytica-scandal-how-facebook-works-harvesting-data-politics-trump-brexit-a8264051.html

While all these stories are going up  all the  data harvesters of the Internet are still churning and nothing has changed  ..Facebook  would block the UK  before they would stop harvesting data  .  There's no real free rides and nothings really free you're giving them something and this is how Facebook gets paid. :rolleyes:

This reminds me so much of Snowden  it's not funny , even though  Echelon was widely known back  in the 90s on the Internet but unconfirmed, it took him to wake everyone up  and before he woke people up  everyone was called conspiracy theorists and nut bags that talked about such things . Snowden proved it to be true.   Now the tables have shifted from Government  to big tech  and some are proving it to be true  as well .

I been warning people about big tech every since Google and Facebook became a popular thing. The sleeping world ,who are so blind from the forest they can't see the trees . but the difference is  Facebook  and Google  made changes to there privacy policy and if you ever   logged  in after you consented to them selling you're data, it all there in black and white.in there toss  and still people  try to be naive and argue about these facts,  because they use these services and I no longer  do, every  since right before they changed there privacy policies and i got wind of it stop using them.  :tooth:

Back in 2004 Mark Zuckerberg  said every one on the Internet was Dumb Fu*cks , and he was not too far off,  because  he collects data off like 2 billion  Generation like people now and thats half the Internet now . even if his empire would die tomorrow  he will live like king the rest of his days  . His net worth  is still 37 billion he lost  $5 billion over Cambridge and thats more money  99% of world will ever see  any one can live good off 1billion he most  likely got that much hid somewhere maybe more. .

Archived