Graphic Card To Run Ubuntu

Karamjit

Hi respected members...

i am going to assemble a new PC with motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 Motherboard (Black) . and i have to deploy a nice graphic card (from 2gb or 4gb) to run Ubuntu (18.04). please suggest me which brand should be bought that is supported with proprietary driver in Ubuntu world. Previously i used Nvidia Zotac 210 in my Ubuntu 16.04 with proprietary driver support. you can suggest me to change Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 with another one  if appropriate. please shed some bug light over this issue...

And please also suggest latest i3 Intel processor for this...

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PriSim said:

@WALLONN7 :) Any suggestions ? I know you are best in PC hardware.

Thanks for your words about me, my dear friend @PriSim...

Well, onboard VGA is enough... No reason to buy an offboard...

10 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Well, onboard VGA is enough... No reason to buy an offboard...

Sir...i know but i want more strong than 1gb card....and onboard VGA  remains usually upto 1gb

17 minutes ago, Karamjit Lal said:

Sir...i know but i want more strong than 1gb card....and onboard VGA  remains usuall

Since you intend to waste hardware, you can purchase an equivalent of nVidia that you mentioned...

As far as the processor is concerned, I would prefer this to the video card as a priority investment... If you can, buy the best i3 compatible motherboard...

Regards

2 hours ago, Karamjit Lal said:

you can suggest me to change Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 with another one  if appropriate.

(WRT to the Graphic Card) and to the best of my knowledge, the Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 does not ship with a HDMI port. ;)

18 hours ago, Karamjit Lal said:

Hi respected members...

i am going to assemble a new PC with motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 Motherboard (Black) . and i have to deploy a nice graphic card (from 2gb or 4gb) to run Ubuntu (18.04). please suggest me which brand should be bought that is supported with proprietary driver in Ubuntu world. Previously i used Nvidia Zotac 210 in my Ubuntu 16.04 with proprietary driver support. you can suggest me to change Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2 Socket LGA 1151 with another one  if appropriate. please shed some bug light over this issue...

And please also suggest latest i3 Intel processor for this...

What's your intent application and usage of that PC?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16.03.2018 г. at 10:04 AM, Karamjit Lal said:

and i have to deploy a nice graphic card (from 2gb or 4gb) to run Ubuntu (18.04).

well, I thought you may want to read this (I recalled your post):
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-beaver-beta.html

sad for some, and no surprise.:s (you'll see; I know Dedo; one of the few I trust (Linux stuff), from experience; I never managed to prove him wrong:().
--
to quote the "Verdict" only:

"I think Ubuntu 18.04 is a punishment by Canonical for the community's witchhunt against Unity and the company's efforts to make a professional rival to Windows. Well, there you have it. A free and open-source stupidity that takes us back a good decade or more. Unless a miracle happens, I already know my review of Bionic Beaver will be bad and sad, and I will not be using this as my next LTS. I might even be forced to compromise with 16.04 for a while. Maybe Kubuntu will be my savior. Or I'll just go on using Windows, which, despite everything you can say about Microsoft, including its silly games with Windows 10, is still actually a dependable operating system for adults.

The beta does not have any big beta issues. But it does have deep, serious regressions that have nothing to do with the current release state and everything to do with the use of Gnome. Unity was a professional product. This is no longer the case. Canonical does not seem to care anymore, and this is a token release for the sake of it, infused with absolute zero enthusiasm. It shows. Livepatch, encryption, okay. But the rest of it is just worse, in every single aspect. Usability, quality, reliability, integrity of data, aesthetics, performance. There. And so, I'd like to thank the open-source community for their stalwart conservative efforts to destroy progress. Mission accomplished. Peace."
--

P.S. (:D) Just for some more fun or "fun". Over.

Gnome 3 is, for the lack of a better word, one big regression. Unity was slick, fast, elegant, practical, and it offered everything you'd expect from a semi-pro or pro desktop environment. Gnome is a joke. I have nothing personal against Gnome, but a desktop environment that BY DEFAULT has no right-click on the desktop, no ability to create new files in the file manager or edit its settings, no show desktop button, no taskbar or panel of any kind, no window control buttons, and lots of other simple things you need or expect - such a desktop is a complete and utter failure.

Ubuntu sort of fixes this - sort of. But then, the essential nonsense remains. No right-click in Nautilus. Year 2018, no ability to create any new files. This is so monumentally stupid I can't even explain it. At least it sorts folders before files! But it's like comparing a Trabant, after it's been hit by a 82mm mortar and than shat on by a flock of seagulls, to a brand new Porsche 911. Unity was splendid. This is 1998 dialup.

It gets worse. No show desktop button. System control is rudimentary. A joke. It looks ugly, it behaves ugly. It's much less responsive than Unity. SERIOUSLY slower. The search bar in Nautilus is a fat ugly sausage that makes my pixels cry. Overall, it's a suckfest.

Archived