Stephen Hawking, modern cosmology's brightest star, dies aged 76

ARMOUR

skynews-stephen-hawking-motor-neuron-dis

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.

His family released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning confirming his death at his home in Cambridge.

The British physicist was known for his work with black holes and relativity, and wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time.  At the age of 22 Stephen Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.

The illness left him wheelchair-bound and largely unable to speak except through a voice synthesiser.

His family said that he died peacefully in his home near Cambridge University, where he did much of his ground-breaking work on black holes.

In the statement his children, Lucy, Robert and Tim said: "He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years."

Factfile: Stephen Hawking

• Born 8 January 1942 in Oxford, England
  • Earned place at Oxford University to read natural science in 1959, before studying for his PhD at Cambridge
  • By 1963, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease and given two years to live
  • Outlined his theory that black holes emit "Hawking radiation" in 1974
  • Published his book A Brief History of Time in 1988, which has sold more than 10 million copies
  • His life story was the subject of the 2014 film The Theory of Everything, starring Eddie Redmayne

Read More

• Replies 14
  • Views 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take less than 3 mins to see this little video :

Stephen Hawking's big ideas ... made simple - video animation

No time to read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time?

In just two and a half minutes, Alok Jha explains why black holes are doomed to shrink into nothingness then explode with the energy of a million nuclear bombs, and rewinds to the big bang and the origin of the universe  ...

RIP Professor Stephen Hawking      rip.gif

2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

R I P — he looked  younger than 79.

He was 76.

4 hours ago, BioHazard said:

SxE0zEq.png

He died this year aged 76 not in 2013.

• Administrator

I wonder if he would have liked people getting emotional after him, as I am, quite a bit. Instead of media covering all the crap celebrities who are no use to humanity, it's good to see this time people caring so much for him.

From childhood I have looked upon many like him, Newton, CV Raman, JC Bose, APJ Abdul Kalam, Aryabhata and others. But the biggest reason behind my interest in physics was this man.

My favorite topic from him was about him talking about time traveling in space mentioned in this.

Not only that, except him saying the humans need to leave earth, I always believed in his ideas, from his views on AI to other such things. Infact, just several days ago he made a great suggestion.

He surely will be missed. My prayers and wishes for him. May he reach singularity like no one else did ever in the history of humans and such.

Archived