Re-install Windows 10 from scratch

coucou

Hello,
I just bought a second hand Lenovo T440p laptop: iCore7, Ram 12 GB, SSD+HDD 500 GB. Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).

In fact, that machine was upgraded years ago (end 2015) from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro.

I want to Re-install Windows 10 from scratch to get a clean machine. Before doing that, I'm looking for how to export/import the installed genuine Win10 license?

Regards

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A previously activated Windows 10 machine will be automatically activated when you do the reinstall.

If it was upgraded from unknown Windows 7, You must use the same Microsoft account and everything is done automatically, but if You don't know this, make before reinstalling new account and register this pc there. Then You can use this new account.
Or use GenuineTicket method. Even if it activates automatically, You need new account, if You want synck Your data with Microsoft, ie activation, bookmarks, used apps etc.

TNX for tr quick reply ;)

The upgrade to Win10 Pro was done through the installed Win7 Pro in end of 2015.

I called today the Lenovo support, they ask me to check the BIOS Main menu, should have domething like "Machine linked Software (Win10)". I haven'it. Anyway The Lenovo support will send me a USK key with the appropriate Win10" BUT without license.

In addition, I've a Microsoft account with my Desktop Win7 machine and I don't find how to register the Laptop Lenovo there.

Finaly,

I took my license with SIW (System Information for Windows) and it gave 3 different keys (see bellow). Can I use that key?

Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion DefaultProductKey2     "Key1"              
Windows 10 Pro     "key1"                
Windows Default Product Key     "key2"                
Windows PID     "key3"               
Windows Product Key     "key1"

Reagards

Settings>update and security>recovery>fresh start
select the option to wipe completely
this will save your activation and will completely re install windows

Thanks and Regards

kantry123

@kantry123: TNX for the info. However, it's not detailed enough.

May you let me know a step by step the how to?

Regards

Use current or better make new account and then use this link. They are there

https://account.microsoft.com/devices

https://account.microsoft.com/devices/help/add-more-devices

59 minutes ago, Kalju said:

TNX, I'll use it tomorrow

Hello,

if you don't have access to internet (or don't want to use internet, neither the microsoft account) there is another solution (such as MSActBackUp, etc).

From my point of view, it's better because it will be faster to reinstall W10 (and there is big difference (about 10 minutes instead of 30) then take a usb key). No you don't need a key (check the .iso file) neither to be connect to internet and yes you can restore the activation after.

Because it could be a trouble if you don't have the good driver (sometimes Windows doesn't have the network driver and it was true also with Windows 8.1).

First check whether u got digital activation or not.

Press Win key + I  - Update and security -  Activation

22afddc3-b1fc-4ef8-bee5-2e5d4a9c5496

if yes. then u can do reinstall windows 10 from scratch.

Download the windows 10 VL iso using Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool. Burn or write it in pendrive and reinstall it. only thing u required is active internet connection after reinstallation.

Note - Before you download iso, check the version (Home, Pro etc.) as shown in the figure.

If No digital activation, then go to recovery option

Press Win key + I  - Update and security -  Recovery - Reset this pc - Get Started - Remove Everything - Remove files and clean the drive - next and reset

18 hours ago, Kalju said:

It enable adding only MS devices (Surface, Xbox and Band).

My device is Lenovo. Can't add it

1 hour ago, coucou said:

Here my Activation. It looks like a VL. Isn't it?

it seems a KMS activation

regards

yes , i think its kms activation. ok no probs. reinstall windows 10 freshly. connect internet and check whether its getting activate or not. if yes, well and good. if not use rain activator..

20 minutes ago, neofita said:

it seems a KMS activation

regards

Are you sure???

Because the guys I bought this machine has confirmed that it is an upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and so it is Genuine. In addition, the label on the machine indicates that this a Windows 7 Pro Genuine (see image bellow)

LNV Win7.jpg

Get a Windows 10 pro disc and boot from the disc, Select advanced Option and delete all the partitions then select NEW,Then click next and install, It will be activated as soon as you connect to internet

56 minutes ago, rajeesh said:

yes , i think its kms activation. ok no probs. reinstall windows 10 freshly. connect internet and check whether its getting activate or not. if yes, well and good. if not use rain activator..

then go for fresh windows 10 pro VL installation.

hhhmmmmm I feel I was fooled :angry::s

What activator and what's Win 10 pro VL installation???

More details please

TNX all verymuch indeed.

Finally, the guy was kind enough to resume his laptop and returned my money back.

All's well That ends well :D

problem solved :lol: 

On 10/03/2018 at 1:37 AM, gingerbread80 said:

Couldn't you have used the Windows 7 key to activate it? Like here

Are you sure that How to is still valid? it's dated January 13 2016. As far as I know, Microsoft no longer allows the migration of Win7 to Win 10 for free.

I have a desktop running on Win7 Ultimate. I did not upgrade it to Win10 Pro, because at the time Win10 was not really reliable. Today Win10 is relatively stable and I would like the upgrade, but it seems too late to do it for free. Unless your article is still valid. Isn't it?

Regards

28 minutes ago, coucou said:

...As far as I know, Microsoft no longer allows the migration of Win7 to Win 10 for free.

Where do these data come from? Yesterday some people installed and it worked.

You have absolutely the right, there is said so, but I follow many forums, but here is what one MDS user said yesterday at 11:03 in forums.mydigitallife.net
"He managed to get his win10 activated.
His problem was that there were missing drivers that prevented the win10 activation to be done either with the ticket method or through the upgrade method, once he has downloaded and installed the right win7 drivers, the problem was solved." (It is here)

Some days ago I read (but don't remember where), where was Microsoft official announce, that they don't know, when this date appears, if not possible no more upgrade from genuine W7 and W8 to W10.

They even have a plan to re-use more robust methods to update, so I understood it. They want to get rid of old versions, that's the reason.

And if it did work yesterday, it's very unlikely that it will not work today, but personally, I can not test it because I just have no computers where W10 is not installed.

But there may be a problem, that the same computer can not be activated twice. (They register a computer) Then this computer will automatically activate as soon as you have logged in with the Microsoft account with which this computer was activated or where this computer is currently registered. But I have not encountered with a such cases.

Archived