stupid search function

Togijak

Today I searched for Beyond Compare and the answer was "nothing found" I have to search for Scooter Beyond Compare to get some results. There are more problems like this one if you don't write 100% same way like it was posted = if you search for Scooter BeyondCompare there are 0 results. The big problem is, that Scooter Beyond Compare is a nonsense Topic. Correct would be  Scooter Software Beyond Compare ore only Beyond Compare without a company info. 

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The update from last summer caused this problem : old topics are still not indexed.
It was from 4.0.X to 4.2 if I remember well.

Anyhow, admins are aware about this issue.

12 hours ago, Recruit said:

Anyhow, admins are aware about this issue.

being aware of the issue (+lots more!) doesn't fix things

Dear Togiyak,

The internal search function of the forums is almost useless. Instead use Google's ability to search in a specific site. Use the following syntax in the search box and see the magic:

Beyond Compare site:www.nsaneforums.com

Regards

3 hours ago, Skunk1966 said:

being aware of the issue (+lots more!) doesn't fix things

Well,

Maybe I will be last who will defend the admins, but lots of things with these platforms are not really easy to do ....

And more than that most of those topics were migrated from IPB 3.X.X to IPS 4.X.X.

Guess the main issue is that they made some mods in IPB 3.X.X and those are unknown by the new version, 4.X.X.

If you need, you can try with any nulled version of those scripts with a free host, or you can turn your own pc into a host with an app. such as XAMPP....

Also, how I know, IPS offers trial packs, but I have no idea if those are in "real mode" like nulled version.......

Greetings,

;)

@Togijak@Sandman@Skunk1966 and others:
Admins are aware of the issue and I hope most are aware of @DKT27 confirmed to my reply that the forum will have many more downtime to fix many issues.... Hence, they're currently concentrated on other major issues than wasting time on search indexing issue after every downtime. I'm sure that indexing would be fixed when nsane is back to normal with no more cloudflare issues & IPB default conflicts with forum customization.

I don't recommend using Google to search nsane(threads/fixes/hidden threads) since I'll attract more problems to the forum. Use any privacy based search engines instead.

I'm wondering why people contribute to spy Google. Even if we protect from tracking using @dcs18 methods, our 6th Sense should know that we are indirectly contributing/helping Google to improve their bad intent. I pray for Google's death or some trillionaire(privacy oriented) to buy it sooner which will mark the Better Privacy Era.

Problems to the forum - Proof: We are already aware of status of november_ra1n threads and many other popular threads... Nsaners, think about Privacy for the forum.

19 minutes ago, vissha said:

@Togijak@Sandman@Skunk1966 and others:
Admins are aware of the issue and I hope most are aware of @DKT27 confirmed to my reply that the forum will have many more downtime to fix many issues.... Hence, they're currently concentrated on other major issues than wasting time on search indexing issue after every downtime. I'm sure that indexing would be fixed when nsane is back to normal with no more cloudflare issues & IPB default conflicts with forum customization.

I don't recommend using Google to search nsane since I'll attract more problems to the forum. Use any privacy based search engines instead.

This information is useful to know since it happened to be and I was confused why certain way of search do not find any thing when I do know that the information is there.

From now on I will be more careful when search nsane. At least try various ways for searching.

39 minutes ago, vissha said:

I'm wondering why people contribute to spy Google. Even if we protect from tracking using @dcs18 methods, our 6th Sense should know that we are indirectly contributing/helping Google to improve their bad intent. I pray for Google's death or some trillionaire(privacy oriented) to buy it sooner which will mark the Better Privacy Era.

When I wish to prevent others from finding about (spying on) me, I employ the best resource (anything except Google) for the job.

When I want to be finding out (spying on) info. about others, I employ the best resource (spy a k a Google) for the job.

Why would I even depend on 6th sense — I already have that resource (it's called wife.)

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Dear Togiyak,

The internal search function of the forums is almost useless. Instead use Google's ability to search in a specific site. Use the following syntax in the search box and see the magic:

Beyond Compare site:www.nsaneforums.com

Regards

Yes this works it's not really Google  specific ether,  it also works  using DDG , Bing ,  Yahoo  , searx.me, etc.  I use  this for none English torrent sites at times as well by just adding the word  English after the website.

Well Guys,

As I am saying almost always : Taking care about our privacy is cool 8) ,  but making from that an aim itself is called PARANOIA. h3uXN07.gif

A good vpn, some ways to clear cookies & cache and using encrypted resurces as much as we can, will definitely do the job for most of us..for sure my friend @dcs18 is an expert with these things and he is willing to help always.... F3h9xqz.gif

You know, I participate in various forums and, although I ain't as present in the others as I am here, it is a fact:

1.  in all of them the search engine has problems;
  2. all of them use different software.

What surprises me, however, is the power of indignation used on issues of such an easy solution on the part of the claimant to the detriment of other more serious ones that do not even arouse their interest... I add to this the position of payer in a free service...
Anyway, I agree that certain points here in the forums frustrate us, but I see the present subject as a storm in a glass of water!!!

Some forums I belonged  too had Google Custom Search as well as internal search  lol.  Google even pays sites  that use there api  for there site feeding Google AI  .   So many times this site has had trouble were the search didn't work at all  that i be looking up stuff here  in search engines for years .

An important point to bear in mind, especially when searching from outside the forums, is to punctuate the search parameters:—

"Beyond Compare", site:www.nsaneforums.com

Another fact of life is that, Google doesn't (cannot) bite — so long as one knows how to use one's security system:—

G9oukSS.png

26 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Some forums I belonged  too had Google Custom Search as well as internal search  lol.  Google even pays sites  that use there api  for there site feeding Google AI  .   So many times this site has had trouble were the search didn't work at all  that i be looking up stuff here  in search engines for years .

that's what i was about to say

https://cse.google.com/cse/?hl=en

26 minutes ago, sefton22 said:

that's what i was about to say

https://cse.google.com/cse/?hl=en

In fact Google  was the way I found warez forums  back when everyone still used Yahoo they were no very good search results  in browsers like they are now . I most the time always get better results  using none Google search engines  now  for this kind of thing but  them censoring the Internet only started in the last few years . For years Google Search  use to be packed full of goodies,  i found  a lot of stuff over the years,  but i always bookmark sites of interest  and my bookmarks go back 7 or 8 years . :dance:

1 minute ago, 0bin said:

:o nsannedowwn???

Nawww  they don't have  Google custom  search here so you must use a workaround  .  

7 hours ago, steven36 said:

In fact Google  was the way I found warez forums  back when everyone still used Yahoo they were no very good search results  in browsers like they are now . I most the time always get better results  using none Google search engines  now  for this kind of thing but  them censoring the Internet only started in the last few years . For years Google Search  use to be packed full of goodies,  i found  a lot of stuff over the years,  but i always bookmark sites of interest  and my bookmarks go back 7 or 8 years . :dance:

that's how i found the sites i use today, some are invaluable and still going. as for Google searches, i used to us lycos but it worked for what i needed at the time, but eventually all good things come to an end. its been a while since I've deleted any bookmarks, so i'm probably in the same boat. 

2 hours ago, sefton22 said:

that's how i found the sites i use today, some are invaluable and still going. as for Google searches, i used to us lycos but it worked for what i needed at the time, but eventually all good things come to an end. its been a while since I've deleted any bookmarks, so i'm probably in the same boat. 

It's truing into a whole new ballgame now  with streaming most kodi  addons  take all the  search work out  of it .  say if i want too  dl  or stream a movie  or tv show  i just  do it threw kodi now and it sends right to my RD account were  i can ether stream or download via one of my download mangers same with music i can stream it right from kodi with no ads or anything torrents  and  hosters . That's why Ace is going after them so hard each addon is like a little ad free  search engine i don't even have to visit  no websites i don't like anymore just to get my fix  .  Now Windows and mobile are getting stand alone software that can do this too  without even having  to use kodi . But sites like nsanedown can't  be replaced with kodi like most sites can because  they offer you windows software updates in one place witch keeping up for software updates  for windows is a pain witch makes this site unique. Streaming  is so mainstream now i was reading were some of the seedbox companies is calling it quits because they can't hardly sell any anymore.

• Administrator

Thing is, we would fix it if we could fix it. IPB hardly provides any options to fix or change searching on the forums. The server however is an different thing which has more options, but I really doubt this is a server based issue. Another issue is, the search on IPB works quite differently. Unlike Google, there are no similar results, you have to be proper in what you want to search. Also, you cannot be too specific either. That is why I keep telling members only search for software name and not the version number, as even a small difference in title will give no result. This is not something we have done, this is how IPB is.

Something like Google will always be more powerful of a search engine than the forum's search engine. By most I can recommend using this addon for Firefox or this for Chrome.

As for us using Google Custom Search. I do not think it's possible on forums and even if it's possible, it's likely to break the theme, which we do not want right now. The frontpage does have Google Custom Search which brings topics also from the forums. Make sure it's not blocked in your browser and such.

Archived